My Bonehead Move
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

My Bonehead Move

I was welding with my MIG the other day. I needed another clamp, so I laid down the gun and walked through my shop to select a clamp. When I returned, I found that the gun trigger had been depressed and nearly half a 10 pound roll of wire was all over the floor.

Surprisingly, no kinks, so I was able to roll it back up, but it took half the evening.

That's one mistake I won't make again!
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Re: My Bonehead Move

Name:  mig-tig-holder-0011.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  54.1 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

i thought it said "boneyard move", thats why oi clicked on it, takes alot to move a carreers collection of stuff

JhonT knows what’s up,

I love mine, set my MiG gun, and TIG torch in it whenever they’re not actively welding. I like to slap mine under the front edge of the table, that way the table top is completely clear of the torch/gun and hoses when I’m grinding, wire wheeling, etc.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Where i can find one?
    MM215
    Victor torch set

Harbor freight has them.....love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I was welding with my MIG the other day. I needed another clamp, so I laid down the gun and walked through my shop to select a clamp. When I returned, I found that the gun trigger had been depressed and nearly half a 10 pound roll of wire was all over the floor.

Surprisingly, no kinks, so I was able to roll it back up, but it took half the evening.

I did exactly the same thing about a week ago, I was using a hired welding machine (lincoln V350 pro with an LN 25 feeder) with an old clapped out gun, the trigger on it was dicky, sometimes you'd press and it would run but get stuck and keep feeding once you let go, I set it up at the job and had to walk to the store on site to get something (half an hour round trip) but must have bumped the gun just before setting off, the feeder must have had the dial set to max because when I got back a good half of the 33 LB spool was on/melted to to grid mesh, took me a solid hour to clean it up the birdnest!

The kicker is that is was ER90s-B3 hard wire, which is something like $20-30 AUD per pound, expensive stuff.

my Biggest bonehead move though was while working on a brand new 80 ton Komatsu excavator that was being modified into a feller buncher for the local forestry, I was underneath in the slew ring oxy gouging off some mounting bracket's from the lower frame (where the crawler tracks are attached), and right next to the hydraulic lines run for the the drive motor's, set those sucker's on fire.

Ran to get the closest fire extinguisher which was a CO2 one yelling to the shop foreman "IT'S on F&*%ing FIRE!!", by time I got back with it the fire had burned through the line and there was burning hydraulic fluid freaking everywhere with gallons more of it vomiting from the 3 inch line per second, the CO2 extinguisher wasn't going to cut it at that point, I needed a class B dry chemical one and a big one at that.

ended up costing about 50K to fix the damages to the hydraulic lines and paint under the machine, I got a pineapple inserted into my behind sideways for that one, but fortunately for me at the time this was a shop that paid peanuts despite the rather high end custom work that they did, so almost every monkey working there had made at least one rather huge mistake like that so I kept my job, it did go on the F*%& up's wall of fame though.
    Last edited by ttoks; 09-10-2018 at 08:37 AM.

If I live the welder I turn off the welder
    It is safer from fire too.

Dave

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

I've seen that done time and time again over the years. I do it to from time to time setting my gun down but never leave it. Always turn off the power and gas from welder and torches if I'm not using them too. Seen several tanks depleted overnight and such by not shutting them off at the valves.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Where i can find one?
    Usually any welding supply or harbor freight.

They make one for tig also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

I notice the back "rat wall", (concrete) of your shop. Is it built into the side of a hill?
    Slob

Might wanna pull up that torch line and zip tie it in the base on the torch handle. There’s a mushroomed part on the bottom so it will stay. Got enough tig rod tubes there u don’t use?

My Bonehead Move

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I notice the back "rat wall", (concrete) of your shop. Is it built into the side of a hill?
    No it’s on level ground.
    It’s a knee wall that goes all the way around the garage.

When I bought the place the foundation was there and I built the garage a few years later.

Moto
    That’s a good idea I think I will do that

I got a good deal on craigslist for all the filler rod

All kinds of different stuff

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    No it’s on level ground.
    It’s a knee wall that goes all the way around the garage.

When I bought the place the foundation was there and I built the garage a few years later.
    We've lifted a couple of old wooden barns pouring footings and stub sidewalls like that for increased ceiling height. My former barn was like that but wind racked it terrible a few years ago so had to take it down.
    Slob

at work guy with plasma cutter went on break and plasma torch came off and torch went on and it started a fire. obviously they wanted to fire the guy. and obviously they told everybody never leave job site without turning machines off.

One of my first jobs as a high schooler was in a Chevron full service gas station, there was a tire machine there that had a broken clamp arm on it, so on a slow night I decided to rip the arm off & bevel it & weld it. There was a Lincoln 225 there so I drug it out & got everything set up and got started, but I failed to notice an old anifreeze can on the bench, it was covered with a shop rag and about half full of gas. Weeeeeeelllll to make a long story short the can caught a spark and ignited, in my young, wise mind and state of panic I grabbed the can and tossed it on the floor, and then the entire bay floor was on fire! Thank God I had enough wits about me to grab the water hose and start dousing it, Mark, the owner showed up in a little bit and saw that everything was OK, chewed my a$$ a little while laughing it off and left me to it, I don't think anything more was ever said.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Name:  mig-tig-holder-0011.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  54.1 KB
    You know, I've got one of those things. Works pretty well, too! I was just too lazy to take it out of the drawer and use it.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Here's what I did. I made a guard that is held on with a small set screw. No more wasted wire.

Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set