Dual shield cap weave - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dual shield cap weave

Dual Shield is a very tricky process to get to where you think it looks nice. I spent two years fighting it before I finally started to get a handle on it. I started with it before I was on the internet, so I didn't have anybody to ask for advice. Everybody in Alaska would find one setting that kind of worked and then weld everything on that same setting. That's never been the way I do things, I like to spin the knobs and see what happens. That's the only way you can find out what all you can do with it. Been welding it for about 15 years now, and I still make more than my share of ugly welds. The good thing is, nobody really expects it to look pretty.
    Last edited by TimmyTIG; 09-12-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Similar story here mate, I actually only started with duel shield in 2015 on a pipe job, and it was with a nickle E81 wire at that, alot of the guys would weld cold like you would with solid wire out of position and just stick to a setting, as you say i "spun the knobs" until i got to a point that was fast and looked good, and its hard to make duel shield look really good on pipe, welding with it on plate i found was pretty easy, if you set it hot enough and run multi pass on big stuff then plate downhand and overhead are easy with it, trying to get it consistent around a pipe while welding fast, or when putting in really big runs is a different story, but it all comes down to hood time and being willing the experiment and fail.

If DS was the baseline process with decades of experience out there like 7018 the knowledge would be out there and it would be easy to do amazing things with, but it isn't so I think every welder right now has to go through the learning curve with DS atm, and trying to break some of the habits from stick and solid wire MIG welding when teaching established welders can be difficult.

one of my 7018 welds.

And a duel shield weld with E81Ni wire done shortly after.
    Last edited by ttoks; 09-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.

It sure does like to lump up on the starts, doesn't it? I find if you angle the gun back on the start it doesn't pile up quite so much.

Thank you both for your advice. Seems like I may need to turn everything up. I’ll measure wire output on a 6sec interval and see where I’m at. ttoks what’s the process to measure voltage at the gun during welding?
    Thanks again
    A couple of really good grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamrhed View Post
    Thank you both for your advice. Seems like I may need to turn everything up. I’ll measure wire output on a 6sec interval and see where I’m at. ttoks what’s the process to measure voltage at the gun during welding?
    Thanks again
    Skip to t0 4.55 in this video, show's it pretty well.

If you ever do any coded work where they measure your volt's, amps, heat input ect I highly recommend setting your machine this way even if it does have a readout for volts and amps on the machine, the readouts are often out by at least a bit, and I've seen them be out by as much as 5 volts and 100 amps.

Last edited by ttoks; 09-13-2018 at 12:26 AM.

This new gold mine job we're doing has a bunch of slip on flanges:

Oh!!! those welds are beautiful I could stare at em' for hours

Timmy, that truly is some beautiful work. Thanks for showing it.
    A couple of really good grinders.

Thanks! I only wish those stainless welds I did today were half as nice. That stuff was eating my lunch.

very nice! Is that in position or do you have a pipe rotator?

rollout welds, all my pics are rollouts. I'm too old to be welding on bottom.