Purging the TIG torch
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Purging the TIG torch

I was trying to do a little TIG today. Turned gas on, pressed the button to get flow and set the regulator. I think it's set for about 2 seconds of pre-flow. When I first hit the peddle, the tungsten turned black and blew a piece of the thin steel away. Kinda like when one forgets to turn on the gas, but not as bad. I touched up the tungsten, ran a little more argon and all was well, except for my TIG welding - but that's another issue.

I rarely use the TIG welder. I think the last time was March. When sitting this long, should I purge the torch first? Thanks for any insights.
    Tim

Re: Purging the TIG torch

before I start welding (still in practicing) ill hit the foot pedal once or twice to purge the line of air to get argon to the tig torch before actually welding...

I always run argon through it before starting to weld. Even if the machine doesn't have a pre flow adjustment at all you can just turn the post flow up a bit and bump the pedal once or twice. Im pretty lucky in that Everlast machines have a "gas" button that allows you to run the gas for however long while you set the flowmeter and that will purge the line.

ALSO, when doing just normal welding, I always have my preflow set to 1 - 1.2 seconds. Seems like when doing this i get a real crispy pop like start every time because it gets the entire weld area shielded with argon. Try it, you will like it i promise.

2017 Everlast Powertig 210 EXT with a CK 20 and water cooler
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    before I start welding (still in practicing) ill hit the foot pedal once or twice to purge the line of air to get argon to the tig torch before actually welding...
    Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    I always run argon through it before starting to weld. Even if the machine doesn't have a pre flow adjustment at all you can just turn the post flow up a bit and bump the pedal once or twice. Im pretty lucky in that Everlast machines have a "gas" button that allows you to run the gas for however long while you set the flowmeter and that will purge the line.

ALSO, when doing just normal welding, I always have my preflow set to 1 - 1.2 seconds. Seems like when doing this i get a real crispy pop like start every time because it gets the entire weld area shielded with argon. Try it, you will like it i promise.
    Guys, thanks for the tips. I'll be sure and purge the torch, especially after it sits idle for 6 months.
    Tim