Multi Process Machine - Vulcan Omni Pro 220 - Any good for beginner? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Multi Process Machine - Vulcan Omni Pro 220 - Any good for beginner?

It takes 30 seconds to change from mig to tig or vice versa on a Miller Multimatic 200 or 215. Rotate switch to process.
    Swap ground from positive to negative and put the torch in negative and turn on the argon.
    They have two built in solenoids for each gas.

from looking at my needs currently, I don't think i need AC TIG yet. I think a spool gun would meet my needs fine. Having a Good MIG would be nice. Currently my hobart just uses C02 and i like it as its easy to take to someone's house, but is not ideal. A spool gun looks like it would handle my current needs, and even stick might come in handy if i try to build a pipe fence in my back yard.

I think the OMNI is a pretty good fit for me. Will take a bit to gather the money, but i should have one by winter.

actually I think you will be pretty happy. My first welder was a Hobart Stickmate, and I was using it to do stick and scratch start TIG (DC only of course). That was a boatload of fun until I decided I wanted tot TIG with a foot pedal, which the Omnipro will let you do. I didn't get a MIG until later. You get a box, with a 1 year trial period that will do all three, for not a lot of money. I think you will find it fits all your needs as a hobby guy, for years.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Had my OmletPro for 6 months now. Absolutely love the MIG and settings are real close. Been learning to TIG and lift arc is no big deal if you got the pedal. Just touch torch to material and slightly push pedal and lift. Once lifted give more pedal. This helps keep tungsten sharp.

I have had no issues. Have ran 10lb of MIG wire and 200 cfu of Argon learning to TIG. I started with 55cf Argon bottle, but that didn't last long. So upgraded to 275 cf bottle. Cost was $40 to fill 55cf and $60 to fill 275cf... Easy decision.

Switching from MIG to TIG takes seconds. I leave pedal always connected and TIG torch includes adapter so gas line is connected directly to Argon. Only have to plug in torch and it's ready to go.

Have tried stick and was able to run 7018 as that's all I had.

I got the spool gun but haven't tried yet. To use it you plug it's gas line to Port on front of machine. That means you have to connect Argon to rear Port. This was a stupid thing HF did. They could have added another Port on rear so Argon could stay connected as it's used for TIG and spool. This would have allowed the solenoid to control pre and post flow for TIG. But Lincoln has the same setup. Maybe V2 they will enhance.

Overall it has been a great welder for a great price. I got the welder, TIG gun and pedal, spool gun, large Vulcan cart for the same cost of a Miller 215 welder alone. Figure I saved about half.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusWelder View Post
    Had my OmletPro for 6 months now. Absolutely love the MIG and settings are real close. Been learning to TIG and lift arc is no big deal if you got the pedal. Just touch torch to material and slightly push pedal and lift. Once lifted give more pedal. This helps keep tungsten sharp.

I have had no issues. Have ran 10lb of MIG wire and 200 cfu of Argon learning to TIG. I started with 55cf Argon bottle, but that didn't last long. So upgraded to 275 cf bottle. Cost was $40 to fill 55cf and $60 to fill 275cf... Easy decision.

Switching from MIG to TIG takes seconds. I leave pedal always connected and TIG torch includes adapter so gas line is connected directly to Argon. Only have to plug in torch and it's ready to go.

Have tried stick and was able to run 7018 as that's all I had.

I got the spool gun but haven't tried yet. To use it you plug it's gas line to Port on front of machine. That means you have to connect Argon to rear Port. This was a stupid thing HF did. They could have added another Port on rear so Argon could stay connected as it's used for TIG and spool. This would have allowed the solenoid to control pre and post flow for TIG. But Lincoln has the same setup. Maybe V2 they will enhance.

Overall it has been a great welder for a great price. I got the welder, TIG gun and pedal, spool gun, large Vulcan cart for the same cost of a Miller 215 welder alone. Figure I saved about half.
    I’ve been using mine these last two weekends, so far only for mig, but I really like it. The preset wire feed speed seems just a touch too fast but I’ve always found factory wire speed recomendations to be a little fast regardless of brand. I think they err on the side of fast to keep from burning up tips.

Incase people are wondering I’m running 0.030 er70s6 plugged into 240v.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST