Let's talk esab mig welders
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Let's talk esab mig welders

Let's face it, their website sucks...capital S. Very little useable info for anyone who doesn't do the web well...

I am interested in upping my mig welder. Currently I have the lincoln 210 mp.

I am thinking I want a transformer based mig in the 250 to 300+amp range.

I have the dynasty for tig. Just need/want a more robust mig. What does esab offer in this area, if anything?

Could so.eone take the time to put a couple links in here?
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Re: Let's talk esab mig welders

Do you want brand new or used?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Look at the new Lincoln 260 mig. looks like a winner. The top of the range in cost for a tranny mig.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I agree the website is bad, so was their salesman at a big trade show a year or two ago, I was seriously looking at the esab 281 heliarc and they couldn't care less they were busy pushing the Rebel mig, the new lincoln as mentioned above maybe good I don't know but I had a 255 lincoln mig and it was a good machine good quality heavy duty rig that never missed a beat,I think it's the 256 now but the same thing,it had typical Lincoln quality nothing felt cheap, switches,mig gun, dials ect.

ESAB's offering in a new unit is going to be the Migmaster 280 PRO. I've never ran one. One draw back that I see to it over the current Lincoln or Miller unit, is the wire drive assembly. Lincoln and Miller both have a dual driven system for the drive rolls, whereas the ESAB has a single driven drive roll system.

I'd go with the PowerMIG 260 or Millermatic 252 over ESAB's current offering. The 250 amp rating supplied on the spec sheet for the PowerMIG is 26.5 volts at 250 amps. The spec sheet for the Millermatic 252 is showing 28 volts at 250 amps. Before deciding on the PowerMIG it would be worth contacting Lincoln to see if the unit is able to output 28 volts at 250 amps too. That extra 1.5 volts can be beneficial for spray arc or a gas shielded fluxcore wire.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

That extra 1.5 volts can be beneficial for spray arc or a gas shielded fluxcore wire.
    So would the different slopes for dual-shield offered on the Powermig 260.Man it's well built, and the nicest built USA machine I have seen in a while..Very narrow and lot of weight down low.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll move my discussion to the lincoln forum. Not buying another Miller. The dynasty is great but my better half worked for a company that ITW bought. Not looking to give them money.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll move my discussion to the lincoln forum. Not buying another Miller. The dynasty is great but my better half worked for a company that ITW bought. Not looking to give them money.
    Good for you,never support any one that screwed you or someone you know over, I'm the same way with 3m and it didn't hit that close to home but a brother of a friend got screwed by them

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    So would the different slopes for dual-shield offered on the Powermig 260.Man it's well built, and the nicest built USA machine I have seen in a while..Very narrow and lot of weight down low.
    Aren't the Lincolns made south of the border now?
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by tkevan View Post
    NC / Va border err what ?Let's 'splain somethin here. Lincoln is WORLDWIDE. So is Makita. Metabo is getting there.Toyota......... Brazil or SC .Or Japan ? Ya want Juan in SC to sign the approval or Heintz in Brazil ? How about Abjab the Arab in charge of QC in Tokyo ?
    When the QC/stockholder/engineer shows up in shipping it's gonna go out to that delivery vehicle jam up ! Take that to your stockbroker !
    Lincoln welders will always do you well. Miller and I still have a couple of rounds to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by tkevan View Post
    some not all gotta look at serial number if it starts with a U it's stateside from what I understand, lincoln tests there products as far as i can tell not like some other companies that put them out way before there ready for prime time, I've owned one esab a 161 China built better than the 5 or 6 usa built compatible machines I've used in the past, and trust me that hurts me saying that cause I really try buying USA products and union made on everything even the food I eat and union grocery store I shop in