Woodworkers Sawmill Build - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Woodworkers Sawmill Build

Yeah,, wish I had more time and money than I knew what to do with... I have a 50 inch and a 60 inch blade for the circular mill... Also have an edger and 4 way planer for it ��

You have more money than I do if you have a 4 way planer, thats a heavy machine. Sounds like you have everything you need for some serious production. The unfortunate fellow I mentioned earlier was running a 60" blade run by a big diesel.

Mine runs on a 6 cyl. buda diesel, but like most of the scrap iron I have it needs a bit of work/$$$ to get it operational

Quote Originally Posted by shophermit View Post
    You have more money than I do if you have a 4 way planer, thats a heavy machine. Sounds like you have everything you need for some serious production. The unfortunate fellow I mentioned earlier was running a 60" blade run by a big diesel.
    Yeah, planer is pretty big and heavy... when I picked it up took my two axle car trailer with 7k axles and it really squatted the tires on it haven't weighed it but I'll bet it's over 14k by a bit... it's power plant is a straight six GM industrial gasser.

Sounds like you are going into production or a serious collector of sawmill tech. Have you got access to some of those huge west coast cedars and redwoods?

No, LOL

just have always like milling and the smell of fresh cut timber!!! most of my 'scrap iron' still needs a lot of TLC(repair) am slowly making progress though...

I guess even one of those redwoods could keep a guy busy for a long time, lol. It seems our interests aren't that far apart, my interest in sawing wood is strictly for my own use and enjoyment, and I have to keep telling myself not to bid on more used machines, until I rebuild the ones I have. I still have a 8" delta jointer, a 10" South Bend lathe and another 20" General band saw rusting away waiting for my attention. To much enjoyment, not enough time, lol.

LOL, yep seems you are in the same predicament as me not enough time (or $$$) I have done quite a bit of cutting for friends and neighbors never really planned on doing it for business... well maybe a very small scale setup... more of a hobby that is fun and relaxing, if I make a job out of it then all the fun is gone

I also built a sawmill last year. I'm using wheelchair motors for carriage travel and raising.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW, I have been off the forum of a long time. I have been siding my house with cedar cut from a WoodMizer. Not mine but wished I had one.
    Anyway you have a nice machine there. I started this house siding 3 years ago. The cedar being used is high line poles. Some poles are made of cedar and some of pine so the guy here buys cedar poles and not the pine. The carpenter said it would warp and then I reminded him the tree has been dead for probably 60 years. Anyway your saw mill is awesome! AWESOME AWESOME! I am jealous. I can't imagine the tables you can make.

This is some of what I do with my sawmill...

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...y-many-benches

Thats awesome kbeitz. I keep saying "their's nothing new under the sun" and just when I think I built something new, you show me yours, ha,ha.lol. Thats great a little different than mine, mainly the traveling arch, but close. Yes those motors are great almost salvaged a couple at the landfill this summer but decided until I am ready to use them on a project they were just going to take up more space.

Thanks for all the kudos Barn 118. Sounds like your having fun with that WoodMizer. Turns out mine is not quite finished yet, I had intended to get it painted before winter but we have had night time freezing temperatures for a month now and I don,t want to take a chance of freezing the paint job, so next spring now. Thats good it will allow me to add a few improvements over the winter such as carriage mounted track brushes and maybe a brake to prevent occasional grabbing when the belt is released. I have 200 bd/ft drying now for a project or two next year and hopefully we will get lots of sawing done next summer.

Last winter I made a traveling router plane that fits on the bed of my saw mill.
    This winter I'm making a larger one 12 ft. X 8 ft.

That sounds different. How does that work?

Nice build man!

Works great...

Cool!!

I thought you meant you attached it to the regular bandsaw part somehow... didn't realize it was self sufficient.

Thats great kbeitz. Certainly different , haven,t seen that application on a saw mill frame before. Too slow and tedious for dimension lumber, but for specialty projects like that end grain table it is just the thing. Sure beats 15-20 thousand $ for a 48" planer, ha,ha. I have two 15" planers and two jointers. One 3hp planer and 8" Delta jointer are devoted to the sawmill, I should be finishing the half rebuilt 8" jointer over the winter. You can do that with a router and a jig frame, I have plans for a couple, but your set-up takes all the labour out of it.

If you think that attachment is different then check this one out...
    Twisted Octagons and squares. 90 deg's in 8ft.

Porch post.

Love that jig. You have obviously been doing this for profit for a long time. Did you increase the set on your blade or keeping the original set. An aggressive set will require more clean up and cut a wider kerf but you will get max rotation in the cut. Thats a nice supply of nice wood there too.

My curiosity is awakened, have you tried the centering and rotation jig with your planing jig, I could see some very creative work coming out of a set-up like that. It would be just the thing for turning and fluting various architectural columns.

90 degrees on 8 ft, why bother, it's standard in most lumber yards around here on the other hand if saw mill could forsee how lumber will twist we may endup with straight pieces

Tank's for sharing pictures of your projects, really impressive

Quote Originally Posted by kbeitz View Post
    Works great...
    How are the pieces of end grain bedded into the wooden frame? Epoxy and wood dust grout?