4' Cold Work (And Hot) RR Anvil
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

4' Cold Work (And Hot) RR Anvil

So I headed into the shop with good intentions to get it cleaned up, yesterday morning. The first job was to get that 6'2" piece of RR rail I had used for some cold working of metal, in the sawmill build, off the floor. Thats when I got side tracked, The rail worked great for doing cold work and I have broke more than one vise, doing rough cold work with them. I figured a large piece of rail fitted to a stand would get much use in my metal shop, and save some of the rough work I subject some of my other equipment to. When I build a forge it would handle hot work as well.

So I headed back into the house and worked out a plan for a stand to support a 4' section of rail and a nice supply of hammers. I wanted something that was widely stanced, and heavy, for stability, and to absorb heavy blows.

First job was to cut the rail, I ended up with a 2'2" piece left over. I will either build a larger double horn anvil or cut it up for dies for a power hammer (one day).

Name:  Large RR Anvil 1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  172.2 KB

Next I cut up all of the pieces required. The floor pieces are 3" square heavy wall tubing and the upright frames are all 2 1/2" heavy wall tubing. The bottom tie pieces are 2" angle and the hammer rack is 1 1/2" angle.

Name:  Large RR Anvil 2.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  223.3 KB

Name:  Large RR Anvil 5.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  271.2 KB

Name:  Large RR Anvil 8.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  235.4 KB

Here is a good view of the hammer rack with a good variety of hammers for various shaping work.

Name:  Large RR Anvil 9.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  210.8 KB

I have a feeling this is going to be the most used piece of equipment in my metal shop. So thats another piece of equipment that is ready for paint. Black for the stand I think. The rail will not be painted. I'll go over it with WD-40 and a power wire brush and do a lite grinding of the top surface to smooth things out and it will be ready for some heavy pounding.

Re: 4' Cold Work (And Hot) RR Anvil

Looks good
    but I'm wondering if it hops or moves at all when you bang on it... ?

maybe bolt it to the floor?

I'd maybe fill it with sand and cap the ends...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Hi John T, I considered that, which is why I went with the heavy wall tubing lots of weight there. The assembly is over 300 lbs. I get no bounce from the stand and the 1' at each end is solid as a rock with a good ring, the center 2' has some hammer bounce and the sound is not as clear but the reason I went so long is for working large pieces of sheet metal and lighter steel plate and for that purpose I have already proven it works fine. Heavy work which will produce more bounce is best done near the ends.

You ever notice rail ain't solidly connected to bed plates?

Built mine with the rail inverted bottom up for straightening bailer needles. Worked well but wore hell out of the striker quick with a 14# hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    You ever notice rail ain't solidly connected to bed plates?
    Thats what cross-tie walkers are for!
    ' ' ' ' "Move along, move along, theres nothing to see here, , , ,"

Bed plates are designed to allow lengthwise movement of the rail due to expansion and contraction and the movement of a heavy train, while still maintaining a relatively accurate cross sectional distance between the tracks. I welded the rail to the stand, the stand will flex to absorb a small amount of movement due to temp. changes, if cracks develop it's a small job to change the design to slide clamps to allow more movement.

Nice setup.

Don't worry about expansion/contraction due to temperature. If anything, you might develop cracks in your welds from heavy hammering instead. Have you welded the rail underside to your rack? That may help beef it up some.

Thanks shortfuse, no I didn't weld the underside, but thats a good suggestion to add more beef before the paint goes on.

That will definitely be handy. With that always easily avaiable you'll find it being used a lot.

As for anvil, many mount RR track vertical so you have more mass below. Maybe adding to the base and mount the leftover vertical could be a option.

Check this out too , a few members do Blacksmithing and may have input too. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...smithing-tools

fill legs with sand or shot to add weight, kill vibration and tame the sound.

Hi BD1 and cd19, those are all good suggestions for devoted blacksmithing equipment but a bit sidetracking for this purpose. I am sure it will get used for some heavy hot work when I build my forge, but when that happens I also have a larger anvil to mate with my smaller one in the works as well as a very heavy power hammer made from heavy steel sections and concrete fill to absorb vibration from heavy work.

The idea and purpose for this unit is more in the line of cold working lite steel panels as I did with the band sawmill guards and cold working small fittings, and bending work that is to heavy for my brake and has resulted in destroying a couple of cheap vises in the past. For these purposes, I first need the 4' length for large panels, and secondly the heavy rail section for tough cold working of heavier small fittings such as the bunk clamps on my sawmill. The fact that it is heavy enough to eventually do blacksmith work is a bonus but that is not what it is devoted to. Most of those projects are still on the project list LOL.

I figured more for cold work. With every use you'll wonder why you didn't make one sooner. A solid heavy surface is a must as long as you have the room.

I agree I think I will get alot of use out of it. At this point, no shortage of space, famous last words, thats what I said before deciding to roof over my breezway and build a ventilated shop space connecting my welding and rough work shop to the house attached shops.

UPDATE:

So I managed to get most of my shops cleaned up and organized after the sawmill build, so before I start on the property, I put in a day to finish the cold work anvil and stand. The finish is two coats of Tremclad flat black enamel. I soaked the RR rail in WD-40 and went over it with a wire brush and sanding disc mounted in my 7" hand grinder. I painted the bottom flange on the rail and left the rest unpainted. Before I painted I added another 3 or 4 lb's of welding rod to the underside of the rail and on the support joints. This produced a more even and clear ring across the full length.

As far as space goes I located it in the center of a walk through area connecting three doors in my welding, and rough work, shop. So now its a walk around area, instead of a walk through, ha ha. It's right there when you walk in, so if it grabs my attention, it will save me destroying any more vices. Here are a few pictures.

Name:  Large RR Anvil 10.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  Large RR Anvil 13.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  226.1 KB

Name:  Large RR Anvil 11.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  216.3 KB

Got any foam rubber & Bungi cords?
    Those corners are going to hurt like hell when your leg meets them.
    Probably rip your Dockers too and may draw blood.

Virgil5, there is lots of room to give it wide berth and when working with it I am not that clumsy. The corners are not as sharp as you think and I built it a little higher than you would want for a conventional anvil, the working face is actually waist level for me. The clamp rack is the back not the front. Gee, blood scares me, ha ha.
    Last edited by shophermit; 09-18-2018 at 05:54 PM.