WTB cast iron gas welding flux FERRO FLUX believe it is no longer made
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

WTB cast iron gas welding flux FERRO FLUX believe it is no longer made

Down in my shop I have seven or eight cans of flux of various kinds. Of all those I only ever use 2. So if someone came up to me and asked me if I would part with one of the ones I never use, I'd jump at the chance. Well, I'm hoping *you* also have some old flux cans. In particular I'm looking for a can of Ferro Flux, which used to be made by Oxweld. I am gearing up to learn cast iron welding, getting occasional tips from a local guy who has been welding cast iron professionally since the early '70s. He told me he uses Ferro Flux.

If you have any please let me know. You can PM me or email me at grant AT nwnative DOT us which is my actual email address.

Thanks!

metalmagpie
    Kirkland, Washington

Re: WTB cast iron gas welding flux FERRO FLUX believe it is no longer made

Edited: Link I found to product has already been sold!
    Last edited by Mmock4; 09-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Edited: Link I found to product has already been sold!
    Thanks for trying!

Have you tried Borax? I'd bet a major ingredient is Borax. Welding steel with acetylene/O2, I've never used flux. My experience with cast iron is limited, but successful. Borax is used in forge welding, I'd think of as having some factors in common with cast.

I've done quite a bit of brazing cast iron using flux coated brass, or bronze rod, or a dip flux. The few things I wanted cast, I used a high nickle cast iron filler without flux. A neutral flame consumes all the oxygen, and is something of a shielding gas.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Have you tried Borax? I'd bet a major ingredient is Borax. Welding steel with acetylene/O2, I've never used flux. My experience with cast iron is limited, but successful. Borax is used in forge welding, I'd think of as having some factors in common with cast.
    Got lots of borax-based fluxes. Looking for a can of Ferro Flux, thanks!

metalmagpie

I have four(4) new cans of Oxweld Ferro flux , I will sell you one. If you are interested , email me at mhtmetalfab@aol.com
    Last edited by mht welding; 09-16-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Mighty honorable to give up a can.\
    . NOW Orig Poster. Spend a few shillings and find a chem lab who can take this flux apart for an ingredient breakdown so you might "roll your own". Another option is poison control may have a full ingredient list but you may be better to get a pharmacist to call them rather than yourself. He or she can say you work with iron indoors blahblah blah and are concerned with ingredients and fumes, skin contact,high temps, storage etc.The info is there. It's up to YOU to get it. It's no miracle. Its a handful of ingredients some redneck put together that worked and some fatcat stole/marketed and made some scratch in the process. I know of an aluminum cleaning product in Central America that is exactly that. $3 worth of BS at $45 a gallon thanks to a guy with a suit and an attorney.The "inventor" got zilch and still makes his own.
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 09-16-2018 at 07:29 AM.

I'm in the same boat as you, metalmagpie. See my recent thread on the topic... https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ding-cast-iron
    I found several receipes for cast iron welding flux. All contain a large proportion of Borax and Boracic Acid (not the same thing), and a couple of very small quantities of other components such as titanium-iron oxide and Potassium Nitrate. One source I found is the US patent #2799607.
    If you find the makeup of Ferro flux, I'd be very interested to learn its content! The flux I used is no longer made either and the company who made it has kept no records of its composition - I called them and spoke to their chemical engineer.... pity.
    Keep us in the loop, so this skill is not lost! Having these threads as future references is very valuable!

ESAB makes a product called ferro flux, part number 69080214 for a 1 lb can. They do reference OXWELD brand by name in their oxy-acetylene handbook @ https://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_han...89oxy15_11.htm . I'm guessing that maybe ESAB bought out OXWELD, or maybe just the ferro flux from them. A google search showed an SDS of the flux, which shows its chemical composition. Good luck on your search.
    https://www.mplso2.com/assets/downlo...FERRO-FLUX.pdf

The original competitor to Ferro Flux was Anti-Borax #1, which is still made by superior flux and works just as the original.
    http://www.superiorflux.com/cast-iron-welding-flux/

Anti-Borax #1 has a fair amount of Boric Acid. I got some boric acid at Dollar General to mix up some ant killer. It's cheap. Also used to kill roaches. Looks like Lowes also sells it. Borax and sodium carbonate are also cheap and available. May be worth a try at mixing some home-brew flux.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Mighty honorable to give up a can.\
    . NOW Orig Poster. Spend a few shillings and find a chem lab who can take this flux apart for an ingredient breakdown so you might "roll your own". Another option is poison control may have a full ingredient list but you may be better to get a pharmacist to call them rather than yourself. He or she can say you work with iron indoors blahblah blah and are concerned with ingredients and fumes, skin contact,high temps, storage etc.The info is there. It's up to YOU to get it. It's no miracle. Its a handful of ingredients some redneck put together that worked and some fatcat stole/marketed and made some scratch in the process. I know of an aluminum cleaning product in Central America that is exactly that. $3 worth of BS at $45 a gallon thanks to a guy with a suit and an attorney.The "inventor" got zilch and still makes his own.
    Sadly Bonzoo we no longer live in a world where "rolling your own" in regard to anything beyond DIY pharmacology is concerned.
    For the last 30 years or so, unless it can be bought in a spray can, bottle, box or environmentally friendly bag that can and should be recycled, useful products may not exist. This may or may not be a result of large segments of the population "Rolling their own" but in a world where the majority of the population can't frost a friggin box cake without frosting in a can, it is reality. Add in the inability to determine a measuring cup from a beer mug, and well lets not bother taking it to the level of fractions of a teaspoon. Mothers have failed daughters in the kitchen for 2 generations and boys are sure if SallyJean just lets them buy that hunk of crap off Amazoom they can play mechanic in the Man Cave.

In the age of the Internet where most Patents are available for a few keystrokes, the inability to translate those recipes to a product mandates products in packages wait on store shelves for Generation Dim to haul them home.

Forget recognizing there are 2 variants of Borax, and that you can easily roast the water out of 20 Mule Team Borax and render it water free,, nobody's going to all that trouble, and the Borax containing water bounced when it landed on the hot steel, so ya gotta buy the prepacked crap for 20 times the money.
    The elimination of education in the US has provided a full generation + of matriculated meatloaves who might be college ready IF they can pass the Entrance Exam, and cascades of so called colleges with lower and lower entrance requirements. Billy can get in someplace and begin amassing student loan debt. He damn sure can't cook up a coffee can full of steel or iron flux though and in fact it might be hazardous to allow the boy near a fire. Billy has a Degree.

For the few old hands left, Iron flux is Borax with the water cooked out, Boric Acid and iron powder to taste. That water removed is why AntiBorax shows a 2 year shelf life and recommends keeping the can tightly closed when not in use.
    If you want to go really exotic you can add Fluorine compounds, but they're too dangerous for meatloaves to play with.

Than again, I still remember when we could have a jar of Cyanide on the shelf for Case Hardening and it worked every time.

PS: Bonzo can you PM me the recipe for the aluminum cleaning juice?
    I can swap you the formula for rust preventer owned by a large wax company now, and I'll throw in the formula for the Super version at no additional charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gwoade View Post
    ESAB makes a product called ferro flux, part number 69080214 for a 1 lb can. They do reference OXWELD brand by name in their oxy-acetylene handbook @ https://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_han...89oxy15_11.htm . I'm guessing that maybe ESAB bought out OXWELD, or maybe just the ferro flux from them. A google search showed an SDS of the flux, which shows its chemical composition. Good luck on your search.
    https://www.mplso2.com/assets/downlo...FERRO-FLUX.pdf
    This is correct. Thank you! I ordered a can today through Praxair.

metalmagpie

You're welcome. Happy to hear you found what you were looking for.

gwoade, I just looked at the SDS you referenced and it states that it is "Brazing Flux".... I inderstood that welding fly=ux is a different animal altogether.