3F-3G Mig uphill comments
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

3F-3G Mig uphill comments

Hi this is my first post in this forum so let me introduce my self real quick I'm 23 years old and Im going to welding school I just started a month ago with mig welding, I already dominate the 1f/g, 2f/g positions now but I been struggling with the 3F uphill position so I want to post a couple of pictures with the intention of read comments and critics about what I'm doing good and what I'm doing bad or lacking of

Im working with a ER70S-6 solid wire on 1/4" Carbon Steel T joints
    1st picture = root
    2nd & 3rd Pic = hot pass
    4th pic = first string of 3 (didn't take any pictures of the other 2)

This is all for practice, that's what I do every single time 1 string as root then a wider weld as hot pass and then 3 more strings

And also another question is mig welding uphill commonly used on structural or pipe welding? Let me know on the comments I'm new in the welding world but really interested and willing on getting better.
    Thanks!

Enviado desde mi SM-J730GM mediante Tapatalk

Re: 3F-3G Mig uphill comments

Quote Originally Posted by mouses.rdzh View Post
    Hi this is my first post in this forum so let me introduce my self real quick I'm 23 years old and Im going to welding school I just started a month ago with mig welding, I already dominate the 1f/g, 2f/g positions now but I been struggling with the 3F uphill position so I want to post a couple of pictures with the intention of read comments and critics about what I'm doing good and what I'm doing bad or lacking of

Im working with a ER70S-6 solid wire on 1/4" Carbon Steel T joints
    1st picture = root
    2nd & 3rd Pic = hot pass
    4th pic = first string of 3 (didn't take any pictures of the other 2)

This is all for practice, that's what I do every single time 1 string as root then a wider weld as hot pass and then 3 more strings

And also another question is mig welding uphill commonly used on structural or pipe welding? Let me know on the comments I'm new in the welding world but really interested and willing on getting better.
    Thanks!

I am using the Z or zigzag technique for all my passes BTW!

Doesn’t look to bad. You need to hold still a little longer on the sides, to fill in the under cut. Also play with the gun angle to see if that helps too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Doesn’t look to bad. You need to hold still a little longer on the sides, to fill in the under cut. Also play with the gun angle to see if that helps too.
    Just threw this Bead today morning I holded the puddle a little bit more than usual on the sides of the plates cutting right into the middle then zag up then tie zig zag up then stich the middle Z technique.
    There's two passes one skinnyest root behind that and then immediately another pass

Nobody does that in the real world. Not on anything critical, anyway. You might run across pulse MIG welding, flux core is more common. MIG on pipe is usually limited to downhill root passes only.
    Where I work (pipe fab shop) we do downhill MIG roots rolling the pipe, then switch to flux core or submerged arc.

Not bad at all! Now you just have to put in lots of hood time.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Nice to know it bro thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Nobody does that in the real world. Not on anything critical, anyway. You might run across pulse MIG welding, flux core is more common. MIG on pipe is usually limited to downhill root passes only.
    Where I work (pipe fab shop) we do downhill MIG roots rolling the pipe, then switch to flux core or submerged arc.

You might find job doing that welding thin plate or sheet metal. Maybe building dumpsters or low pressure tanks. Anything pressure or structural steel on buildings or such will always be flux core or stick.

Got it, I'm. More into pipe and structural but most likely pipe, and actually that's my plan this is my second 15kg mig wire roll ima keep practicing this until the end of the wire roll and start flux core right after
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    You might find job doing that welding thin plate or sheet metal. Maybe building dumpsters or low pressure tanks. Anything pressure or structural steel on buildings or such will always be flux core or stick.