Stick welding square tube for truck rack - need help! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Stick welding square tube for truck rack - need help!

Thanks everyone. I guess this is one of those questions that has many answers depending on who you ask. I thought I should post some pics of the progress, after I filled that hole with some 6013 of course...

After playing around with other rods and amperages I went back to 7018 with maybe 5 or so less amps. Also letting the joint cool some rather than welding all 4 sides at once. Right now only the top side of each joint is welded out.

Name:  IMG_3997.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_3995.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  190.9 KBName:  IMG_4002.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  174.9 KBName:  IMG_3999.jpg
Size:  147.9 KB

Consider clamping aluminum blocks in the corners. As you start, or end a side it tends to heat up, and drool. An aluminum block will absorb much of the heat, and block the run. Otherwise it looks OK for a 6013 weld.

Evening out comes with experience.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHack View Post
    Thanks everyone. I guess this is one of those questions that has many answers depending on who you ask. I thought I should post some pics of the progress, after I filled that hole with some 6013 of course...

After playing around with other rods and amperages I went back to 7018 with maybe 5 or so less amps. Also letting the joint cool some rather than welding all 4 sides at once. Right now only the top side of each joint is welded out.

Name:  IMG_3997.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_3995.jpg
Size:  190.9 KBName:  IMG_4002.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  174.9 KBName:  IMG_3999.jpg
Size:  147.9 KB
    I thought you were building a truck rack, this is looking more like it will be a headache rack. The kind that stands just behind the cab. Is that what you're making? To my way of thinking, a truck rack runs from the rear end of the bed and extends out over the cab of the truck. But then again, I have heard a few folks that didn't know any better, call a truck rack a headache rack.

Looks like a headache rack to me and for the intended purpose, it looks ok. If anything, I would have chosen bigger square tube but... otherwise... it is ok!

Let it be what you want it to be. I hope you don't have a ladder rack if you want a headache rack, or a headache rack to carry ladders. Otherwise enjoy. Some practice, or better still, coaching from a skilled welder will pretty up those welds. You are doing great.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

One way I did with a slow freezing rod like 6013 or 7018, was to have a 3/16" or 1/4" sacrificial plate clamped just next to the hole I was gonna fill in. It wasted a lot of the rod but I'd rather have that that 10-20 restarts and 10-20 slag chippin's: I would fill in a split second at a time, then slide the arc over to the sacrificial plate clamped down next to the hole, keeping the arc lit for about 2-3 seconds on it while the "hole" cooled, then slide it right back over and add more metal, move it back to the plate & hold, then back to fill in the hole, etc, etc. Worked ok I guess.

Now a days i just use pulse on my HTP ProPulse 300. It's like pulse TIG welding and feeding filler with one hand since all parameters are adjustable. I am hereby officially dubbing it "Stick like TIG" method/technique
    Last edited by Oscar; 09-22-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    One way I did with a slow freezing rod like 6013 or 7018, was to have a 3/16" or 1/4" sacrificial plate clamped just next to the hole I was gonna fill in. It wasted a lot of the rod but I'd rather have that that 10-20 restarts and 10-20 slag chippin's: I would fill in a split second at a time, then slide the arc over to the sacrificial plate clamped down next to the hole, keeping the arc lit for about 2-3 seconds on it while the "hole" cooled, then slide it right back over and add more metal, move it back to the plate & hold, then back to fill in the hole, etc, etc. Worked ok I guess.

Now a days i just use pulse on my HTP ProPulse 300. It's like pulse TIG welding and feeding filler with one hand since all parameters are adjustable. I am hereby officially dubbing it "Stick like TIG" method/technique
    I suggested aluminum cause filler won't stick to it, and it swallows massive amounts of excess heat. Steel "run off tabs, then have to be broken or cut off. A piece of heavy aluminum angle in those corners works well. You can cut away the outside corner to make room for the weld bead.

Another technique you might try is vertical down. Use fast freeze rod like 6010 or 6011. You'll have to point the rod up at 45 degrees from vertical to push slag away from the weld puddle. I find small rod works nicely working down on thin material. In my youth with an AC welder I turned the work to weld flat. Some big items were pretty cumbersome to turn. Learning to weld in all positions is preferred.

I suppose it would be called a headache rack or back rack. But I have another frame (welded by a friend last year) that goes in the rear stake pockets. I used that this summer along with some foam blocks on top of the cab to carry my canoe. This new back rack will be used in place of the top of my cab. I suppose once both frames are in I was looking at it as a "rack" of sorts. I actually wasn't going to put any mesh in it either. Although I like the idea of plas-ing out some gussets at work for the corners.

The tube is 1 1/2" sqr x 1/8" wall. I don't usually see them a lot heavier than that. Actually I see a lot of racks that look like they are even lighter gauge pipe!

I don't carry heavy loads of lumber or steel. Just usually random material for weekend projects. Anything larger/heavier I just get delivered from local lumber yard.

My canoe is arched on top. A headache rack doesn't give enough height for an upside down canoe. I'm very conscious of extra height adversely affecting gas mileage. I thought of a couple open top tubes vertical, that smaller tubes forming the corners of an extension rack would fit. After all, you won't carry the canoe all the time, unless you are like my neighbor who is terrified of water, but thinks his 1953 Chevy looks cool with a canoe.

Canoes in the employee parking lot convey a sense to other employees you're the go to guy for aquatic adventure. They also create less wind resistance than an inflatable raft.
    In the Carolinas this time of year that canoe can be part of your plan to move up in the corporate structure as an indicator of your capacity to be prepared for unfolding possibilities. No HR type will bother th check if you have a paddle or not.