Stick welding square tube for truck rack - need help! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Stick welding square tube for truck rack - need help!

Thanks everyone. I guess this is one of those questions that has many answers depending on who you ask. I thought I should post some pics of the progress, after I filled that hole with some 6013 of course...

After playing around with other rods and amperages I went back to 7018 with maybe 5 or so less amps. Also letting the joint cool some rather than welding all 4 sides at once. Right now only the top side of each joint is welded out.

Name:  IMG_3997.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_3995.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  190.9 KBName:  IMG_4002.jpg
Size:  174.9 KBName:  IMG_3999.jpg
Size:  147.9 KB

Consider clamping aluminum blocks in the corners. As you start, or end a side it tends to heat up, and drool. An aluminum block will absorb much of the heat, and block the run. Otherwise it looks OK for a 6013 weld.

Evening out comes with experience.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHack View Post
    Thanks everyone. I guess this is one of those questions that has many answers depending on who you ask. I thought I should post some pics of the progress, after I filled that hole with some 6013 of course...

After playing around with other rods and amperages I went back to 7018 with maybe 5 or so less amps. Also letting the joint cool some rather than welding all 4 sides at once. Right now only the top side of each joint is welded out.

Name:  IMG_3997.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  163.9 KBName:  IMG_3995.jpg
Size:  190.9 KBName:  IMG_4002.jpg
Size:  174.9 KBName:  IMG_3999.jpg
Size:  147.9 KB
    I thought you were building a truck rack, this is looking more like it will be a headache rack. The kind that stands just behind the cab. Is that what you're making? To my way of thinking, a truck rack runs from the rear end of the bed and extends out over the cab of the truck. But then again, I have heard a few folks that didn't know any better, call a truck rack a headache rack.

Looks like a headache rack to me and for the intended purpose, it looks ok. If anything, I would have chosen bigger square tube but... otherwise... it is ok!

Let it be what you want it to be. I hope you don't have a ladder rack if you want a headache rack, or a headache rack to carry ladders. Otherwise enjoy. Some practice, or better still, coaching from a skilled welder will pretty up those welds. You are doing great.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

One way I did with a slow freezing rod like 6013 or 7018, was to have a 3/16" or 1/4" sacrificial plate clamped just next to the hole I was gonna fill in. It wasted a lot of the rod but I'd rather have that that 10-20 restarts and 10-20 slag chippin's: I would fill in a split second at a time, then slide the arc over to the sacrificial plate clamped down next to the hole, keeping the arc lit for about 2-3 seconds on it while the "hole" cooled, then slide it right back over and add more metal, move it back to the plate & hold, then back to fill in the hole, etc, etc. Worked ok I guess.

Now a days i just use pulse on my HTP ProPulse 300. It's like pulse TIG welding and feeding filler with one hand since all parameters are adjustable. I am hereby officially dubbing it "Stick like TIG" method/technique
    Last edited by Oscar; 09-22-2018 at 07:13 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    One way I did with a slow freezing rod like 6013 or 7018, was to have a 3/16" or 1/4" sacrificial plate clamped just next to the hole I was gonna fill in. It wasted a lot of the rod but I'd rather have that that 10-20 restarts and 10-20 slag chippin's: I would fill in a split second at a time, then slide the arc over to the sacrificial plate clamped down next to the hole, keeping the arc lit for about 2-3 seconds on it while the "hole" cooled, then slide it right back over and add more metal, move it back to the plate & hold, then back to fill in the hole, etc, etc. Worked ok I guess.

Now a days i just use pulse on my HTP ProPulse 300. It's like pulse TIG welding and feeding filler with one hand since all parameters are adjustable. I am hereby officially dubbing it "Stick like TIG" method/technique
    I suggested aluminum cause filler won't stick to it, and it swallows massive amounts of excess heat. Steel "run off tabs, then have to be broken or cut off. A piece of heavy aluminum angle in those corners works well. You can cut away the outside corner to make room for the weld bead.

Another technique you might try is vertical down. Use fast freeze rod like 6010 or 6011. You'll have to point the rod up at 45 degrees from vertical to push slag away from the weld puddle. I find small rod works nicely working down on thin material. In my youth with an AC welder I turned the work to weld flat. Some big items were pretty cumbersome to turn. Learning to weld in all positions is preferred.

I suppose it would be called a headache rack or back rack. But I have another frame (welded by a friend last year) that goes in the rear stake pockets. I used that this summer along with some foam blocks on top of the cab to carry my canoe. This new back rack will be used in place of the top of my cab. I suppose once both frames are in I was looking at it as a "rack" of sorts. I actually wasn't going to put any mesh in it either. Although I like the idea of plas-ing out some gussets at work for the corners.

The tube is 1 1/2" sqr x 1/8" wall. I don't usually see them a lot heavier than that. Actually I see a lot of racks that look like they are even lighter gauge pipe!

I don't carry heavy loads of lumber or steel. Just usually random material for weekend projects. Anything larger/heavier I just get delivered from local lumber yard.

My canoe is arched on top. A headache rack doesn't give enough height for an upside down canoe. I'm very conscious of extra height adversely affecting gas mileage. I thought of a couple open top tubes vertical, that smaller tubes forming the corners of an extension rack would fit. After all, you won't carry the canoe all the time, unless you are like my neighbor who is terrified of water, but thinks his 1953 Chevy looks cool with a canoe.

Canoes in the employee parking lot convey a sense to other employees you're the go to guy for aquatic adventure. They also create less wind resistance than an inflatable raft.
    In the Carolinas this time of year that canoe can be part of your plan to move up in the corporate structure as an indicator of your capacity to be prepared for unfolding possibilities. No HR type will bother th check if you have a paddle or not.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHack View Post
    Hey guys,
    New to welding here. I picked up a used stick welder and am doing my first few projects. So far I have made a welding table frame
    I'd have to say your welds don't really look like a "newbie" to me.
    Your metal-working tools were not sitting on the shelf at Harbor Freight last week. Or is that someone else's shop?
    Many veteran stick welders can't weld like that on 3/16" material with 1/8 rod.
    Veteran welders refer to 1/8" material as "sheetmetal" and can't weld that thin without burning holes.
    And 3/32" is much more difficult than 1/8" rod.

Is this is an old-school A/C transformer or modern inverter machine with arc stabilization etc?
    Some veteran MIG welders wish they could produce with a MIG what you did with a stick.

You're ether a "natural" or there's something fishy going on here.

Last edited by J_Akuhead; 09-25-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Akuhead View Post
    Many veteran stick welders can't weld like that on 3/16" material with 1/8 rod.
    Veteran welders refer to 1/8" material as "sheetmetal" and can't weld that thin without burning holes.
    And 3/32" is much more difficult than 1/8" rod.
    3/32" rods on 1/8" material isn't exactly hard....! unless you bought some poor quality rods and cheapest of cheap buzzbox! Veteran welders who can't weld 1/8" aren't really welders, in my book

To be fair, a decent inverter or even a decent oldschool AC transformer, with good quality 7018s... drag straight across the joint with the right amount of heat, it's about as easy as stick welding gets.

I taught my brother how to weld with 6013's (in UK they are a pretty decent rod) but it wasnt til he moved to 7018's that he was really happy with the process.

Even so... I would also like to bet that the welds in the pictures aren't the OP's first time ever!

No point in debating the definition of veteran welder. My dad was a veteran welder who could fix anything and didn't give a s+++ what it looked like. OP's welds are very good for a "new welder" (if that's the case). I see sometimes a poster calling himself "new welder" just cuz he doesn't need the POV from an "internet welder inspector" who inspected nuclear sites for 30 years to tell him it ain't gonna hold (when he knows it's good).

OP will clearly learn how to weld up that hole before too long (if he hasn't already). Welding up holes (with stick) takes some practice, and is a good subject for the forum I think. Because lots of folks like to "say they can stick weld" and the eqpt is cheap (often free). It's significantly more difficult to weld holes with stick (as compared to MIG). And for stick you have to fit your joints much more precise, whereas the MIG can easily fill a gap. Stick is a more "sporting" type of welding for sure, although it's become MUCH easier with a new inverter machines. It's like cooking on the BBQ as compared to the kitchen, and what would be the point in badmouthing a BBQ? There's a reason that it's been 40 years since a production shop used stick.....but that's the eqpt the guy wants to discuss.

Anyway good welds, good construction.

Have you ever stick welded, J. Akuhead?

"Sporting"? "Can't fill holes"? "No production shop uses it"? "Inverters easier"?

You make it sound like we're talking about some long-forgotten, obsolete, esoteric art of a bygone era, like water witching, horse shoeing or forge welding wrought iron in bare feet over pine charcoal.

Believe it or not, there are still people who stick weld, even professionally!

Last edited by Kelvin; 09-27-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Seldom - because have a MIG. Now MIG/TIG/Stick.
    I stick welded 40 years ago, but probably 99.9% MIG in the last 30 years. I'm learning TIG now.
    But I used stick yesterday sticking re-bar together in a footing. Prob 3 years since the last time stick welding.
    I'm always surprised that I can still do it at all but it seems like riding a bicycle.
    I just make stuff, fix stuff, not a pro and have never welded for a living.

I didn't write "can't fill holes" I wrote "It's significantly more difficult to weld holes with stick (as compared to MIG)."

Also I re-read what I wrote: "inspected nuclear sites for 30 years" and this is absolutely NOT naming someone, I just pulled that out from behind. Sorry if there's a member who has those genuine qualifications,,,,, I was referring to the hypothetical forum-person who "pretends" to be that.
    Last edited by J_Akuhead; 09-27-2018 at 12:04 PM.

well I dont inspect nuclear sites, nor do i weld for a living, but i DO have valid weld inspection certificates and look after our site quality control.
    Part of this (and this is maybe over and beyond what's required) I make sure I keep practicing with MIG, TIG and stick, to make sure i can actually do the same welds that I am critiqueing. Not as good as our regular coded pipe welders though!

Now it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, but it has taught me one thing - if you keep practicing whenever you feel like you havent done it for a while, then when you DO pick up a stinger or torch and lay a bead in anger, you can go straight into it with ballpark settings and make a good weld without worrying about making a hash of it.

For me, that stick practice is the most important, because MIG (and TIG) seems so much easier to remember with muscle memory (or maybe it's just because MIG is easy and I do more TIG than anything else)