handle broken off skilet
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

handle broken off skilet

I have a 12" skillet Revereware , best tool I have for frying chicken. The handle is spot welded to the side of the skillet and the welds on 1 side have come undone. I have nothing to lose if I try to tig it back together. Revereware service says they have never been able to weld these together but I believe they were sticking it. They also can't say what type of material it is made of. How can I figure out what kind of material it is. I am assuming that it is stainless

Re: handle broken off skilet

I have used a spot (pinch) welder to put handles back on skillets, but the cooler way would be to rivet it.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Figure if one is broken the other welds are either ready to break or partly broken already.
    Revere made a lot of copper cored sandwich pans, so you might be contending with a nightmare if it's copper cored at the weld point.

Drill, ream and rivet.

Remember the pan full of hot whatever will land on you if the handle breaks completely free.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Remember the pan full of hot whatever will land on you if the handle breaks completely free.
    +1 False economy if it burns you to a crisp

rivets sounds good. Better than trying to weld copper clad material. I will look for a small stainless rivet. How to seal the holes while riveting?

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    rivets sounds good. Better than trying to weld copper clad material. I will look for a small stainless rivet. How to seal the holes while riveting?
    clear silicone will work...coat the rivet before installing then set the rivet and wipe excess silicone away and let it cure for half a day before use..

How's yer head ?

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

UMMMMM- ya ever heard they riveted ship hulls 100 years back & they didn't leak?
    How about a company called Wearever who riveted steel handles onto aluminum pans for years?

Did you miss Ream the eefin hole in the correct direction?

Hole gets reamed larger on the pan side. When the rivet is beaten to final shape it seals the hole..

I wouldn't rivet it or silicone it.

We have something similar and the riveted handle constantly weeps oil.

I'd assume it's 18-8
    Read the website and see if the advertising tells you what alloy.

handle broken off skilet

Get yourself a cast iron skillet...fry up that chicken and chicken fried steak real good...good for the gravy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by bellaireroad; 09-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.

...Revere made a lot of copper cored sandwich pans, so you might be contending with a nightmare if it's copper cored at the weld point...
    Revereware pans are copper clad. The copper is on the outside (applied via plating), and only on the bottom running up around the corner. You're thinking of AllClad, which has aluminum cores that may run all the way up the sides.

Older Reverware (I have some with the "Process Patent" stamping on the underside), from IIRC before 1969 had a thick copper layer that was about 1/3 the thickness of the pan. Later Revereware was much thinner, with the copper being mostly cosmetic, and I'd say not worth repairing.

The copper on Revereware never runs high enough to reach where the handle was spot welded on (and they're all spot welded that I know of). I think you could easily drill out the spot weld and TIG weld the handle back on. You'll need to shield the back side (interior) of the pan though to prevent sugaring, or else you'll permanently get rust spots when you wash the interior. I'm not so sure I'd trust SolarFlux on a food contact surface, or else that might be an option.

AllClad pans have riveted handles. But these are proprietary rivets that have an aluminum core and a stainless cap facing the pan's interior. I don't know where you'd get one of these, or how you'd set one.

UMMMMM- ya ever heard they riveted ship hulls 100 years back & they didn't leak?
    How about .... riveted steel handles onto aluminum pans for year..
    yes sir, do u thing your pan handle takes as much abuse/impact, as a ak47's front trunnion to receiver? thers ur answer

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    How's yer head ?

According to my grandma, only a cast iron skillet worked on grandpa..... Said he'd come "right around" when she pulled it out.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Definitely 3 small spot welds on each side/ear of handle. How could I isolate and back purge the back side of the weld area? It isn't penetrating the inside of the pan

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Revereware pans are copper clad. The copper is on the outside (applied via plating), and only on the bottom running up around the corner. You're thinking of AllClad, which has aluminum cores that may run all the way up the sides.

Older Reverware (I have some with the "Process Patent" stamping on the underside), from IIRC before 1969 had a thick copper layer that was about 1/3 the thickness of the pan. Later Revereware was much thinner, with the copper being mostly cosmetic, and I'd say not worth repairing.

The copper on Revereware never runs high enough to reach where the handle was spot welded on (and they're all spot welded that I know of). I think you could easily drill out the spot weld and TIG weld the handle back on. You'll need to shield the back side (interior) of the pan though to prevent sugaring, or else you'll permanently get rust spots when you wash the interior. I'm not so sure I'd trust SolarFlux on a food contact surface, or else that might be an option.

AllClad pans have riveted handles. But these are proprietary rivets that have an aluminum core and a stainless cap facing the pan's interior. I don't know where you'd get one of these, or how you'd set one.

If the weld isn’t penetrating, then perhaps shielding isn’t needed. Just turn the amps a little higher than normal, and be really quick about it.

I had the handle pop off my 12" revere copper bottomed frying pan as well a number of years ago. I spot welded it back on, and brazed the joint with 56% silver brazing alloy. Buffed out nice and has been sturdy ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by makoman1860 View Post
    I had the handle pop off my 12" revere copper bottomed frying pan as well a number of years ago. I spot welded it back on, and brazed the joint with 56% silver brazing alloy. Buffed out nice and has been sturdy ever since.
    Good point! Silver solder is likely stronger than the original spot weld, and doesn't run the same risk of destroying the stainless for lack of a back shield.
    Silver solder is probably unsafe on the food contact side, but is fine for a handle on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Good point! Silver solder is likely stronger than the original spot weld, and doesn't run the same risk of destroying the stainless for lack of a back shield.
    Silver solder is probably unsafe on the food contact side, but is fine for a handle on the outside.
    Hi, to be clear I silver brazed it, not silver soldered. Using food grade Harris safety-silv 56 and harris black flux. Oh and the spot welds were pinch welds.
    -Aaron