Someone is in HUGE trouble...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Someone is in HUGE trouble...

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Re: Someone is in HUGE trouble...

Feel sorry for the homeowners.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Up to 70 blown up...on fire...or still reporting gas smell..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

And NOBODY thought to turn the meter valve off??
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Wow, if they were upgrading gas service , I wonder if the activated high pressure gas into a low pressure line. They may have blown thru the regulators.

A few years back, a lady called her propane supplier saying she smelled gas. The supplier sent an employee to check. The homeowner was told all was fine. Two days later the house exploded. Small parts of house and people were found on neighbors lawns, and roofs.

My scare was this morning. Fire pager went off: The Kent ZZZZZZZZZZZZresidenceZZZZZZsmoke in baseZZZZZZZment.

People only have emergencies on weekends. The power company rents water heaters. Repairs are free. The weekend repair crew isn't very well trained. Typically, they connect top and bottom elements simultaneous, (don't do that). Frustrated homeowners start to resort to independent electricians by Saturday evening.

Over the weekend, Green Mountain Power had sent a "technician" (these are lowest bid sub contractors, some are brother in law to a GMP executive.) He had replaced both heating elements, and both thermostats, and the overheat cutout. Still no heat!

I checked, the time of day meter was off. I talked with GMP computer geek, he turned it on remotely, still no power.

GMP sent an employee to replace the meter. It started to heat, then tripped the breaker.

After checking the equipment for problems, or miswiring yet again, I replaced the breaker. Homeowner called Sunday morning to say "all is well.

Thursday morning: the fire company is called out to "The Kent Residence"

An hour later I learned there are three Kent families in town. I haven't been in the one on fire. Damage was minor, a series of power strips laying on the floor in a wet cellar.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Wow, if they were upgrading gas service , I wonder if the activated high pressure gas into a low pressure line. They may have blown thru the regulators.
    Years ago a local utility company down here tapped a potable water line into a pressurized sewer line. They had to supply bottled water for quite some time until the line was confirmed "clean".
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Seems like the overpressure reliefs at every customer meter should have blown off before HP gas got to appliances. Appliance regulators might not have been sufficient to handle the overpresure though.
    Be interesting to see if the company removed the overpressures to keep people safe from the evil Mercury inside them and replaced with pipe plugs.

Something damn wrong when that many places go all at once.

But the utility will have a Public Information BS artist in front of TV cameras soon.

I have national grid in my area and they are upgrading from low pressure service lines to new high pressure mains and service lines, the old low pressure meters had no relief valves for high pressure in a low pressure system, only the regulators on the high pressure systems have a bypass in them, im sure boston gas has a cross connection with a high pressure line now blowing regulators on all the gas equipment in the houses and then filling the house with gas and then...BOOM..

Near my neighborhood last fall, a gas station somehow leaked gasoline into sewer pipes. For days. The station knew about it, and said "Eh, we'll get around to fixing it later". They got hurried-up when people's houses started exploding.

Station owners reported they had “become aware of an issue with loss of product on Monday, October 16″ and began pumping out their tanks on Thursday, EPA said. “The release resulted in the explosion with one injury, multiple house fires, and fourteen manhole covers blown off due to pressure in the sanitary sewer,” EPA said. - https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mi...es-explosions/

To my amazement, the station re-opened a few months later, after tons of work. I figured they would've been sued into oblivion, but apparently Speedway Corporate owns it, and they really like that location I guess.
    __
    David Hillman

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    My next door neighbor works for the gas co here and said that this was the likely cause. He said that older regulators would fail and the newer ones had a safety over pressure valve in them.
    Regards
    Dave

Increasing capacity out of older existing systems, gas, water, or whatever just never works out. It's a management/bean counters fairy tale dream that turns into a nightmare over and over again.

History says you can't do it, reality says you can't do it, the accountant says we have to do it, the management says I think we can do it, boom, crash, collapse, around and around it goes.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

For over 100 years gas meters were piped with an inverted U shaped device outside the building that blew off excess pressure to atmosphere when the regulator blew out or went over pressure.
    Then, in the 80s along came the enviro nazis who learned each of those devices container EVIL earth shattering Mercury in a small amount. Mercury was the only substance known to mankind that was heavy enough to sit in what amounted to a small sink trap, and perform over the huge temperature range envisioned. Naturally Mercury had to be replaced just as lead needed to be removed from everything mankind might touch, drink or inhale.

The gas delivery industry replaced all the nercury containing overpressure devices and all industry switched to lead free solder. The Mercury sold for a good price.

Since the replacement overpressure had to be aesthetically pleasing, quality and fitness to purpose were sacrificed, and the gas delivery industry ignored use life of overpressure devices. Highly educated creatures with Diplomas for every day declared the problem solved. It wasn't as was proven in Boston.

Heard on the news this morning that the pressure in the line was 12x higher than it should have been. Some Lawyer is going to make a lot of money off of this one.
    Last edited by Fast Leroy; 09-19-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Owner of Fast Leroy's Bar and Grill
    Liquor up Front, Poker in the Rear

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Leroy View Post
    Heard on the news this morning that the pressure in the line was 12x higher than it should have been. Some Lawyer(s) is going to make a lot of money off of this one.

Correction made.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Pretty much a no brainer.
    There obviously is nothing else that could do that except high pressure mistakedly applied to the system.
    Pretty stupid design not to have some protection for this.
    A terrorist could burn down every thing by using high pressure propane tank and tying it into the gas lines.
    That was just nuts and still is.
    Makes you almost want to call the gas company to take all their lines and meters off your property and go to electric.