flux core weld critiques
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

flux core weld critiques

I've been building some cattle corral panels, and was wondering if the guys here would critique a weld. Pipe is 3.5" drill stem a little over 5/16" wall, and square tube is 1.5" square with 1/8" walls. Welding wire is Lincoln innershield 211 .045". Welder is Miller Regency 250 set at tap 1 high range. Wire feed speed unknown. Between 3 and 4 on the dial closer to the 4.

How does it look?

2018-09-14_12-13-37 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
    Last edited by woodworker_nathan; 09-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Re: flux core weld critiques

Back in the 1980s I ran tons of NR-211. Now I like NR-212 a lot better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Looks OK man. Wrap the corner THEN weld the long side.One swoop. I ususually tack 1/2 in from an end on one side and then tack 1/2 from the other end on the other side and let it eat.Just a wierd habit since when tearing stuff apart over the years I see the rust weep under the ends and in a good ways if the mig isn't smokin' hot ! Grind both sides a little and bend it back and forth with a 24" adjustable and secretes get revealed ! Them ironworkers aint foolin' me !

This is the whole project.

2018-09-14_12-46-24 by wolverine00089, on Flickr

Here it is set into place this morning.

2018-09-14_12-46-35 by wolverine00089, on Flickr

I was looking for a NR212 wire, but it was a 4 week wait, and as the previous panel was destroyed, and the bulls were in a pen I had to get through, I didn't wait. I just bought what I could get. Nor a lot of self shield flux core choice in this area.

Here on the west coast, T-11 wire is hardly used in structural welding. Any seismic welding is done with T-8 wire.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Looks just fine from here.

You can find your wire feed speed by pulling the trigger, counting to 6, measure how much came out and mult by 10.

That'll be your inches per minute.

If you do that, we'll know how much approximate amperage you are using.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

That's one of those daze I go to Tecnica and grab a Big Box of 6011

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Here on the west coast, T-11 wire is hardly used in structural welding. Any seismic welding is done with T-8 wire.
    Would a Regency 250 be able to run any of the T-8 wires?? Looks like it would be pushing the top end of the welder all the time... Might try it though. Have to break out the big ESAB welder...

i'm not familiar w/ ur powere souce, but as far as i'm concerned 211 .045 was right call, 212 lil more sensetive in my opinion than 211, and smallest t-8 wire i ever known, is .063, which is on heavevy end for what i percieve ur doing, and even more sensesrive yet than 212. uve already grasped a 70xx according to sales label w/211, so perfect on ur rusty mild steel, id think u'd pass inspection just fine w/ those 4 legged bovine. i wouldnt change anything, but if i went to stick, it would be bonzoos 6011 1/8"
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-15-2018 at 01:55 AM.

I never heard of a Regency 250 before. We used engine drives on the job.
    Here is some T-8 wire, give you an idea of what it takes to run it.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Drill stem is hardened steel and requires a low hydrogen rod like 7018. Not going down the road as a trailer or something any rod is probably OK I guess and being used as you are here it will stay together too but do any of you know if any old solid wire mig will keep it together? I ask because I need to stick some drill stem together for do dads around the shop - I'm not building a trailer with it.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    Drill stem is hardened steel and requires a low hydrogen rod like 7018. Not going down the road as a trailer or something any rod is probably OK I guess and being used as you are here it will stay together too but do any of you know if any old solid wire mig will keep it together? I ask because I need to stick some drill stem together for do dads around the shop - I'm not building a trailer with it.
    I heard drill stem could have raised levels of radiation in it. Is that correct, partially correct, or just wrong? If it's true, I would worry kids being around it over time could be exposed to unhealthy levels of radiation.
    I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. ~Thomas Jefferson

@ Jerje - Most dual shields are low hydrogen if you really think you need it. I think most work with Co2, and Ar/Co2 mix. Less smoke than the NR211. I don't know if any of the solid wires are rated Low Hydrogen.
    If your just making a firewood rack or pedestal or table for a grinder or belt sander, I think any solid wire you have would be fine.

@ Woooworker Nathan - I often use the Hobart 21b (t11) for those same type of jobs outside , away from the shop. Nice work, I'm sure it will last a long time. It looks mighty heavy ...
    Last edited by albrightree; 09-15-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I heard drill stem could have raised levels of radiation in it. Is that correct, partially correct, or just wrong? If it's true, I would worry kids being around it over time could be exposed to unhealthy levels of radiation.
    It can absorb some radiation if its been put through a vein or area of radioactive material. We don't have much of that in my area, so I wasn't terribly concerned. Maybe I should get a geiger counter and check it.

It can also absorb sulfur if it's put in a sour gas well.

A lot of times, this stuff is magnetic. The stuff in this panel was mildly so. A friend of mine who welds a lot of this stuff suggested a self shielded flux core to weld this over stick as he claimed that it would produce the least arc blow in his experience. He also knew that I weld outside, so maybe solid or dual shield would work as well, but didn't recommend it.

I never heard of a Regency 250 before. We used engine drives on the job.
    Here is some T-8 wire, give you an idea of what it takes to run it.
    Here's the specs:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=13#manual

This is what hobby welders here in Washington state use.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

This is what hobby welders here in Washington state use.
    Hobby size welders in Minnesota

Name:  20161105_160630.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  84.0 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Did the guys that pulled miles of this stuff out of the hole and stacked it on trailers die?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I've never heard anything about radiation? Here in SE Texas there is plenty of stuff made out of old drill stem and I personally have welded on a lot of it but with a stick machine and 7018 and I'm not glowing yet . My question was because I want to use my new mig on it.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684
    Lathe and Milling Machines

Any wire will work, solid might give you some porosity though. Depends on how much you prep it. Probably more important is making sure you have a good ground. My lincoln 210mp acts funny if you have a marginal gound, I always try to grind a spot for the ground clamp.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker_nathan View Post
    I've been building some cattle corral panels, and was wondering if the guys here would critique a weld. Pipe is 3.5" drill stem a little over 5/16" wall, and square tube is 1.5" square with 1/8" walls. Welding wire is Lincoln innershield 211 .045". Welder is Miller Regency 250 set at tap 1 high range. Wire feed speed unknown. Between 3 and 4 on the dial closer to the 4.

How does it look?

2018-09-14_12-13-37 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
    It looks good from here. T11 wire was the right choice for this project. No need for LoHi on a cattle panel. I would have welded it the same way you did. Nice work!
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.