‘94 ESAB migmaster 250
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

‘94 ESAB migmaster 250

Hey guys! Looking for some input on a problem I’m having with my newly acquired migmaster 250. This is my first mig welder and I’ve never really worked on one so bear with me! Just got a bottle of 75/25 and a spool of .035 solid mig wire, turned it on, got the wire through the nozzle no problems. Went to put the first weld down and the rollers seized. I stopped welding, straightened the lead out and pulled the trigger, worked perfect. Went to weld again and it sputtered then the rollers seized again. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: ‘94 ESAB migmaster 250

If by seized you mean the wire stops feeding but you still have gas flow at the gun nozzle then I would remove the gun assy. and try feeding straight out the front to eliminate the entire cable hose assy.then I would back probe the feed motor plug with a volt meter set to DC and try welding when the wire stops see if you still have power at the feed motor if so it's a mechanical fault maybe rust stripped gear etc. If you have lost power then look for the relay or whatever speed control it uses basic knob maybe a bad pot. If it's digital maybe the board
    Note make sure the contactor clicks and you still have gas flow so you know the gun trigger to the machine electrical is good
    Last edited by Mike Westbrook; 09-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Welcome to wire welding. You will need to learn to set the proper tension on your drive rollers. Proper wire spool tension will also be required
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Rollers correct wire size?
    Liner clean and crap free?
    Did wire weld itself to the tip?
    Tip correct bore for .035?

Thanks for the replies! .035 is all this machine ever saw, liner, tip, and rollers are all correct. Wire never fused to the tip. I took the gun apart (oxo gun, came with the welder), and trigger is making good contact and everything is clean. When I put the new spool of wire on, and started to feed the wire to the gun, it did great and had no problems. I started to weld, and it did fine for the first 1/4” of weld, started to sputter so I stopped and messed with the WFS, went to weld again and it started fine, about 3/8” in and the welder made a “humming” sounds (electrical) and the rollers completely stopped (acted like they locked up). Let go of the trigger and then proceeded to try it again, did great while I was correcting stick out, stuck it to metal and it did the same thing. I pulled the hood off of the welder and saw a couple of relays, both looked fairly new. One had definitely been replaced (original bolt wasn’t used, and self tappers were through the frame of the welder). I’m beginning to think that this problem is electrical, especially since it only happens when it’s being put to metal. Bad ground somewhere? Short? Don’t think it’s related to the gun or else it would be intermittent when getting wire through the lead.

Do a Google search and download the owners manual the electric schematic is in the back if you can follow it test from the transformer 24 volt ac side to the diode bridge to 24 volt DC then to the PC board it uses a basic potentiometer that can be tested basically rule out the simple parts before condemning the board but it sounds electrical can you determine if the hum is from he motor or the transformer maybe a relay buzzing

‘94 ESAB migmaster 250

I already found and downloaded the owners manual and started looking at the schematics. I’m not the best with electrical (I guess that’s why there’s an old sa200 in the back of my truck, lol) so I’m not quite sure how to test everything. I’ll be doing some more research on everything though. Thanks

Can’t tell where the humming was coming from, sounded like the motor, but I’ll check again next time I have it plugged in

Last edited by levimeloy; 09-16-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Since you have a link to the schematic for the machine please toss it up here and save others the time to look for it.

‘94 ESAB migmaster 250

http://www.esabna.com/literature/arc...f-15-087-e.pdf

Sorry about that

Try putting a differnt mig gun on it. Trigger wires to the drive motor could be shorting to the main output. Could be in the euro backend or up by the gun, harder to find if its in the cable hose though. Just an idea before you get to far into the internals of a welder from 1994.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, Cutmaster 52.

I wanted to try a different gun but this is the only one I have so far. Gonna talk to a buddy and see if I can barrow one to test it out.

Tearing into a welder this old is what I’m worried about as well, gonna be hard to find parts for I imagine

Not sure if you can access the terminals for the gun conveniently, if you can, jump across the trigger switch and see if the machine keeps spinning the feed motor. Open the tension roller before doing this or you could have a lot of wire t wind back.

An even quicker test would be to flip the feeder open, pull the trigger and listen to gas leaving the gun, If the motor stops but gas keeps coming that pretty much eliminates trigger and gun cable.

Ill give that a shot, I know I had a small gas leak when I first started to use it, but got that fixed and I know it’s going to the gun. Don’t know if it stops when the rollers stop or not, I’ll try to see if I can tell