TIG weld critique - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: TIG weld critique

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    You need to get some bigger plates.
    I’ll check out what the scrap metal place has, it’s complete luck of the draw what they have each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lots of ways of doing things. A couple pics that might help demonstrate the lay technique and something you can try. Here, on 3/16th plate (or any thickness), bevel and tack just tight enough so your 1/8th filler won't pass through. Bend a couple inches of the rod so it lays flat in the groove. The second pic shows some heat settings but you can start as low as 80. Everything depends on heat of course, but one general rule to note about tig welding roots is that in the overhead you keep the arc on the center of the gap (and feed extra rod to get your penetration) and on the flat you move the torch from bevel to bevel across the filler (to keep the filler itself from melting through). So to practice this lay-wire-on-the-flat, I'd start the arc at the end of the filler but on one of the bevels. Then quickly cross over to the opposite bevel and give it a little heat. Across one more time and the filler should start to flatten. Then advance along the groove, still alternating from bevel to bevel at a pace that just flattens the filler.

Name:  Root With Rod on top.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  Top Flat .1875 pl..jpg
Views: 34
Size:  33.6 KB

try welding your band saw blade back together.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A