Gun safe plans... thoughts? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Gun safe plans... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I'd built it into something else and hide it in plain sight. China hutch with a false back? Food pantry on a swivel? Bed headboard with a fold down face? Or the classic hole in a wall with a picture hung over it.
    +1
    also go buy a cheap crappy safe and let the theives rip it open to find nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I don't think too many theives rip gun safes off the floor/wall and carry them away, regardless of whether they're 100# or 10,000#...they break them open with crowbars and zip wheels. Most are rated by how many minutes it takes to break into one either with or without tools.

If somebody really wants in, they're going to get in. The best you can hope for is to slow them down by hiding the safe and making them take a while to get in if they find it. That, and hidden cameras...
    a pro will get into anything.
    however most are not pro's. your really only trying to stop the idiots.

i would just focus on the basics, like decent locks that lock into the body of the safe properly.
    no need to go big and heavy. a big advantage of thin walls is it flexes. ever tried to hit something thats flexes, your hammer just bounces and does nothing.

This safe was bolted to the floor with 4 bolts.
    Tall gun safes make excellent prybars to pull bolts out of the floor.
    "Robinson broke into a home on Lake Avenue and found a gun safe.

Robinson said he left the home without the safe and met with Blackshell. The two men then returned and stole the safe, bringing it to another location where they pried it open with a crowbar and took from it an AK-47, a .40-caliber gun, a shotgun and ammunition."

There is no substitute for mass in safe construction and there is no substitute for sealing in a fire safe. Even in a sealed wrll insulated box guns become junk after exposure to heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Tall gun safes make excellent prybars to pull bolts out of the floor.
    ...bolts out of the wall, not so much.

I suppose if you're going to break into a house, rip the safe off the wall/floor, then leave, hire help and return to carry it away, nothing is going to stop you. The crook could also have rented a backhoe.

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    +1
    also go buy a cheap crappy safe and let the theives rip it open to find nothing.

This is a good one too, get 3-4 safes and place them all side by side with nothing in them. Then hide all your valuables in the mattress.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    This is a good one too, get 3-4 safes and place them all side by side with nothing in them. Then hide all your valuables in the mattress.
    over here we have to have a safe that passes police inspection, who do not like custom built safes. so they buy a cheapy and use it as a decoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    ...bolts out of the wall, not so much.

I suppose if you're going to break into a house, rip the safe off the wall/floor, then leave, hire help and return to carry it away, nothing is going to stop you. The crook could also have rented a backhoe.
    floor only bolts is not very good. which is why most gun safes have wall mounting holes.

nothing is going to stop someone who is determined. heard of cases where they cut the wall and floor off the safe, took the safe leaving big hole in the floor and wall.

I'm pondering making a line of quality burglar tools and videos on how to use them.
    I wonder how long till Horrible Freight swipes my designs and undercuts my prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    I'm pondering making a line of quality burglar tools and videos on how to use them.
    I wonder how long till Horrible Freight swipes my designs and undercuts my prices.
    Most of that kinda stuff I get straight from china.... have seen a few of the more 'common' tools at HF though.

EDIT: disclaimer.... I only use this stuff for educational purposes....and the occasional helping a friend out
    Last edited by ronsii; 09-18-2018 at 12:31 AM.

I' have read most thefts are committed by acquaintances that have knowledge of what you have and know your schedule. So spread the word around to friends and acquaintances you sold your stuff to pay off debts, 99% of your theft worries should be eliminated.

Another thing you can do if you have a basement, is run a fake furnace return duct between the floor joists to store your most expensive items in which the end cap can be slipped on an off.
    Last edited by tackit; 09-18-2018 at 01:58 AM.
    I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country. ~Thomas Jefferson

Sum Beach, now I remember where I put that for safe keeping.
    Thanks Tackit

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    There is a take down safe on the net somewhere. I had seen it, Google is your source
    Zanotti Armor.
    Hobart cutting/welding torch.

MM252, and nothing else. My first welder. Buy once, cry once.
    ...but I really would like a nice 50/60A circuit to run it at full strength.

A bunch of ideas, and not enough time and money to bring them to life.

The safe is only there to delay the crooks. The silent alarm (or noisy one if you want to reveal your plan) is what you rely on. Make the safe strong enough to make them work on it at least 15 minutes. Try not to leave your oxy-acetylene torch where they can use it against you. If you can't hide the bottles, at least hide the cutting torch.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

This is true, but self defending safes can, and have been built. There are a variety of countermeasures available that can stop crooks from getting anywhere near the safe, all of them enactable by the safe itself.

These safes are very “forward” in their imposition, they are obvious, and non-discreet, but their mechanisms of self defense, and countermeasures against theft make them unapproachable by most fly-by-night thieves.

Your buddy bill knows when you leave to work, and remembers where you put your spare door key? No problem - 50,000 Volts waiting for him at the safe door door handle. *While the silent alarm goes off*

I think that’s a much better attitude than “If a thief breaks onto my property and gets to my guns he can have them”

However for the OP: I would suggest the just get some lockable cases to keep inquisitive little hands off daddy’s toys if that’s just his main objective. I know he thinks he wants something to do, but he should enjoy the stillness before the storm. If I knew I was moving again, I wouldn’t take the time/money to fabricate something that may not work in the new dwelling.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mmock4, I didn't want to make it seem that I don't care if someone would steal my guns, or that I was willing to let them take them. Sorry if it came out that way, but what i meant was even safes bought at the store are easily broken into or stolen, I'm going to try to make mine better but probably not by much. The ability to have a safe that can be taken apart and moved is more important to me than spending money on a safe moving company as suggested by someone else before, but less important than having all the weapons stored away from children, which is my main goal.

I could get a cheap, ammo storage safe for the cost of a hundred bucks or so and call it good, however I like to build things,and would like something different as gun and ammo storage.

The main reason on making this topic was to see if anyone could see a problem with my safe design, the riv nuts possibly not being strong enough, best options for steel thickness, etc etc but it's turned out to be quite random lol. I loved all the comments but it seems like no one answered my questions... oh well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moosefire66 View Post
    The main reason on making this topic was to see if anyone could see a problem with my safe design, the riv nuts possibly not being strong enough, best options for steel thickness, etc etc but it's turned out to be quite random lol. I loved all the comments but it seems like no one answered my questions... oh well

Yes, that is one of the unfortunate side effects of online message boards.. lol Someone has a stray thought, another feels a need to expound upon or debate that stray thought, which brings up another, and the circle continues.

Anyways here’s hoping to help. Someone knowledgeable review OPs safe design as presented and give him some feedback will ya!?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Someone knowledgeable review OPs safe design as presented and give him some feedback will ya!?
    Haha thanks mmock4, I appreciate the help