Millermatic 250 mp?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 250 mp?

Is a millermatic 250mp a decent mig welder? Did they last? The whole millermatic vs multimatic 252, 251, 252 thing is confusing to me.

Anyways, there is what looks to be a good condition, can try before I buy, millermatic 250mp. For sale locally. $900. Clean appearance. Assume it comes with the gun and work clamp.

I am looking for a heavier duty machine than my 210mp lincoln. I think I want a 250 amp class transformer mig for solid core and dualshield capabilities. I would like the option of the different transfer modes as a bonus but certainly not neccessary. Not sure that I would ever need to spray arc but might be handy down the road.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Re: Millermatic 250 mp?

Any "Miller" 250 is a worthless pile of scrap.
    The 250 was ITW's first attempt to cheapen the great MM-200 machine and slam it into the market so they could obsolete the 200 which ran and drove really well.
    250 never worked largely due to poor components and pathetic front office driven engineering, and was rapidly replaced by machines with slightly higher numbers leaving Dealers sitting on inventory of 250 machines.
    ITW knew the problem with the 250 and refused to make the machines right for owners. That was Step 1 in ITW's Screw the Customer Policy, officially known as the 80/20 Policy.

In the same timeframe ITW Sales set about killing the Dealers who had built the Miller brand share of market since 1960 to put more profit in ITW's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Any "Miller" 250 is a worthless pile of scrap.
    The 250 was ITW's first attempt to cheapen the great MM-200 machine and slam it into the market so they could obsolete the 200 which ran and drove really well.
    250 never worked largely due to poor components and pathetic front office driven engineering, and was rapidly replaced by machines with slightly higher numbers leaving Dealers sitting on inventory of 250 machines.
    ITW knew the problem with the 250 and refused to make the machines right for owners. That was Step 1 in ITW's Screw the Customer Policy, officially known as the 80/20 Policy.

In the same timeframe ITW Sales set about killing the Dealers who had built the Miller brand share of market since 1960 to put more profit in ITW's pocket.
    My friend has a 250 that works great. Should he scrap it?
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

Quote Originally Posted by gnm109 View Post
    No, he should sell it to somebody who doesn't know what ITW built and foisted off on many customers.

Take this with a grain of sand the 250 mp was a early exercise in electronics and WAS NOT too bad of a rig I asked the same questions years ago, but they are getting up in the years now, a lot of people bitch about the 250 millermatic I think it's called from what I hear the 250 mp and regular 250 ain't the same, old electronic stuff though, but I also own 20 25+ year inverters that do everything there supposed to probably better than some new ones

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    No, he should sell it to somebody who doesn't know what ITW built and foisted off on many customers.

But there's nothing wrong with it and he's had it since new with never a problem and if it's really no good, why would he sell it to someone else?

Makes no sense to me. Miller is really a great company. Sounds like you have an axe to grind.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

Quote Originally Posted by gnm109 View Post
    I forget which model they got right. He probably has that one.

People often report that the other models of 250 welded kind of crappy when compared to the mm200.

It's actually the reason I never sold my millermatic 210. (old full size style)

It works great and I could never keep straight which 250's were the lemons.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Hmm, didn't mean to cause a row...I'll wait for a lincoln. Thanks guys.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

The Miller 252 is a great machine.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

And my MM251 has been flawless.

As the mm250 may be flawed, I would take it over a new Everlast or longetievety machine any day of the week.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

No need to worry girls. ITW is working around the clock, never sleeping, like a former White House resident,and it's just a amtter of time till ITW machines can match the standards established by WongFu and FookUpp machines arriving in a container from China. ITW where the 80/20 policy rules will be happy to drop ship a pile of Chinee Quality at your doorstep, and you can call an 800 number to reach a Diplomated Dullard reading suggestions from a screen till some damn fool marrys her and gets stuck with her student loans.

I'll keep my genuine transformer welders that don't die from solder whiskering and blown plastic lumps.

Remember to use your Master Card to buy on sale so you can pay 18% interest on that pretty Chinkanese machine.

Just so you feel better, 90+ percent of all welding wire is initially drawn in either China or India.