69 Redface Positive ground help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

69 Redface Positive ground help

Hey all, I just bought this 69 redface K6090 and I'm not entirely sure about positive grounded machines because I've never had one, and it has the original generator with voltage regulator so I'm hoping to keep it.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction towards positive grounded machines? I'm not sure on how it's wired, and how to wire it negative ground. Whether it's been rewired to negative ground. I threw a battery on after I rewired it (same way as it came) and hooked it up negative ground and it wouldn't turn the starter, not even a click, so I put my new starter from the shorthood on it and still the same, that's why I'm thinkin it's positive ground but I have no idea if that would affect it
    1974 Lincoln SA200 Copper converted - Sold
    1956 SA200 Short Hood
    1969 K6090 Redface
    Purox 50B3 - Harris Regulators - 100 feet 3/8 Grade-T with quick connects

Re: 69 Redface Positive ground help

Quote Originally Posted by 24vwelder View Post
    Hey all, I just bought this 69 redface K6090 and I'm not entirely sure about positive grounded machines because I've never had one, and it has the original generator with voltage regulator so I'm hoping to keep it.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction towards positive grounded machines? I'm not sure on how it's wired, and how to wire it negative ground. Whether it's been rewired to negative ground. I threw a battery on after I rewired it (same way as it came) and hooked it up negative ground and it wouldn't turn the starter, not even a click, so I put my new starter from the shorthood on it and still the same, that's why I'm thinkin it's positive ground but I have no idea if that would affect it
    Are you sure it's positive ground? Seems strange for that vintage. If the short hood is a 6V I can see that being positive ground.

shorthood was not 6V, im asking for info on positive ground so i could determine if it is or not, rather then burning my voltage regulator when i get it running, if it even charges. like i said ive never had anything that was positive ground so i wouldnt know the difference in anything
    1956 SA200 Short Hood
    1969 K6090 Redface

shorthood was not 6V, im asking for info on positive ground so i could determine if it is or not, rather then burning my voltage regulator when i get it running, if it even charges. like i said ive never had anything that was positive ground so i wouldnt know the difference in anything
    Most (not all) starters don't care about polarity. A generator and voltage regulator can go either way, it's just a matter of properly polarizing the generator. Try the starter with jumper cables using both positive and negative ground. (protect the stud threads)
    there should be a plate on the starter that will tell you voltage and polarity if the polarity matters to the starter.

Accomplishing that is a walk in the park.
    Disconnect the leads going to the generator from the generator until you get the machine running.

Since you don't know the polarity, this will prevent a battery explosion shortly after the machine comes up to speed. I've seen it done on tractors, and believe me reversed polarity will blow the cell connector straps like they were fuses.

Second thought, if you haven't disturbed the battery cable to the machine frame/block, or even if you have and can still lay hands on that cable, test fit it to the battery. The + Positive post on a battery is larger diameter than the - Neg post.

I'd still disconnect the generator for safety.

Also, unless the battery you're trying to start from is KNOWN GOOD, your problem could be the machine battery itself. I've encountered batterys so far gone they can't be sufficiently charged to spin a machine with a good jumper. Remove the dead battery from the circuit and the machine winds up.

Bear in mind exploding batterys are Loud, throw chunks of acid coated components, and can hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Accomplishing that is a walk in the park.
    Disconnect the leads going to the generator from the generator until you get the machine running.

Since you don't know the polarity, this will prevent a battery explosion shortly after the machine comes up to speed. I've seen it done on tractors, and believe me reversed polarity will blow the cell connector straps like they were fuses.

Second thought, if you haven't disturbed the battery cable to the machine frame/block, or even if you have and can still lay hands on that cable, test fit it to the battery. The + Positive post on a battery is larger diameter than the - Neg post.

I'd still disconnect the generator for safety.

Also, unless the battery you're trying to start from is KNOWN GOOD, your problem could be the machine battery itself. I've encountered batterys so far gone they can't be sufficiently charged to spin a machine with a good jumper. Remove the dead battery from the circuit and the machine winds up.

Bear in mind exploding batterys are Loud, throw chunks of acid coated components, and can hurt you.
    Thanks for the info, cables were disconnected and same length when i got the machine, so that was out of the question. and the battery i am using is out of my shorthood, which spins the brand new starter better then ever (i mentioned i had on the redface for testing along with the original starter) and had the shorthood spinnin after trying the redface multiple times.

Im pretty sure its just a terrible ground, or the cables are rotted apart from the inside. Im going to pick up new leads to make a couple battery cables once i get back from this stay away job. and a ground strap, ill set it up the same as what ive got the shorthood, and use the same battery again. im going to go nuts if nothing works haha

Ill disconnect the generator aswell
    1956 SA200 Short Hood
    1969 K6090 Redface

Just a thought, if it has a distributor check the wiring to the coil, the positive/negative are wired differently for each polarity, and I can’t rember which right now.

Good luck, and we like pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff907 View Post
    Just a thought, if it has a distributor check the wiring to the coil, the positive/negative are wired differently for each polarity, and I can’t rember which right now.

Good luck, and we like pictures
    I do most posting by my phone and I have no idea how to post pictures by it, I'll try sometime

But I got er running, and damn does she run smooth. Almost as good as she welds. With unevenly worn concaved brushes, I'm surprised it welds that nice. But I've got a new set of brushes on its way and im excited to get her lookin as good as my shorthood!

The R57 works flawlessly, the governor works flawlessly, the only thing that doesn't work is the generator, don't know what's wrong with it yet but I leave tomorrow for work and I won't be back till Friday so it'll have to wait
    1956 SA200 Short Hood
    1969 K6090 Redface