I got to make an outdoor sign.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I got to make an outdoor sign.

Going to be a 4x6' sign, back lit translucent plexi stuff. Plan is a 4x4x1/4" post for going in the ground and up to the sign, some sort of frame, then a face on both sides with the translucent plexi on it. I already have led lights (sealed cooler lights) for the inside (top and bottom).

I have been fighting on how to build the frame. Just more of the 4x4x1/4" all around for the frame and bolt all the panels to it? Or a smaller 2x4 or even separate 1.5x1.5" square stock all around for a frame? Does it even need a full frame?

I plan on 16g for all the face and side filler parts. The translucent parts will be bolted to the 16g faces and the lights obviously light it up at night. Two colors used, white and red. A match to the sign I built earlier but now bigger and for their outside advertisement.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Re: I got to make an outdoor sign.

I made one several years ago that was kind of what you're wanting. It was 4'x8'x6" thick. It had both side panels cut with a water jet and 6" flat strap welded bottom, top and one end leaving one end open. The sign company had a piece with the lights that slid in from the open end. They just took out 2 screws and slid the center piece out to change lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This will be a double sides sign too.

I thought about a slide in deal, it cuts in on the frame options a bit I feel.

I was just informed this will be 7' off the ground so I think the 4x4x1/4" post will have to be bigger, maybe 6x1/4" wall pipe?

Is that about 2'x 8'? 4x4x,1/4" will support a lot more than that, especially at only 7'. Just looked back, 4x6, still plenty big. Usually just some light frame work top and bottom is all that's needed on a small sign like that. Much longer, and sag rods from top of post to bottom corners is used. Probably should have a 24-30" hole 4' deep. 8-10 bags of sackcrete should do it. Are you using steel sheet or aluminum for the sign cabinet?
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Steel sheet, wants a patina look like I did for another sign awhile back. So you think a 4x4x1/4" will be plenty? He is going to cement in a post with a flange to bolt the sign post too.

Yeah for sure. I would run the post inside the sign. Cap the top, drill and tap for a couple 3/8" bolts to hold it. On the bottom of sign, cut the thru hole and put a couple angle iron saddles that the sign can be fastened to the square tube. Everything inside the sign should be painted white to get the maximum amount of light reflection.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Is wind a factor?

The 4'x8' sign we made, was welded on top of a 3 1/2" pipe. That was a few years ago and it's still there but it is in town and probably doesn't get a whole of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Is wind a factor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The 4'x8' sign we made, was welded on top of a 3 1/2" pipe. That was a few years ago and it's still there but it is in town and probably doesn't get a whole of wind.

There will be some wind but the area is pretty well covered with trees and whatnot so I don't think anything to out of the ordinary. How thick was that 3.5"" pipe? I plan to pick up materials tomorrow, going to pick up extra stuff too since I'll be at the metal yard.

It was .250 water pipe. There seems to be a lot of it around here so it get's used for lots of stuff.