Amazon Cutmaster 60i - Page 18
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Re: Amazon Cutmaster 60i

My "Safety Experiment" was indeed flawed. I should have wrapped some RAW pork shoulder (skin on) inside leather glove.
    A thermo probe would be useful also, but I'm not sure if metal would interfere.
    I will try a marshmallow, soon as I get hold of one.

IMHE, wood is not easily cut with oxy/acet. Plastic is a hot mess! Tires are better than impressive, easy on fuel too!
    Alas, my new oxy/acet hoses did not arrive in time for new years... no joy.

As a total non-welder, I'd assumed all tip-dip, sprays, etc, were all similar in performance.
    Is that not true? Serious question.

Now, I'm gonna go play with an amp-clamp while someone cuts.
    Very curious what the actual line current is @30A output, and if the increase in line current is linear to increased output.
    Does anyone here know about the electrical characteristics of these devices?
    I was under the impression that inverters fall under "RDS(on)" which is resistive, but have no idea how the entire circuit pans out.
    Anyone? (I'm asking what fraction of indicated line amps might be reactive)
    Last edited by BananasCentral; 01-01-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: (almost) Everything I write is gibberish!

Don't know the difference between the 60i and the 58 but here it is at $1375 https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...utter-1-5130-1
    ---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Don't know the difference between the 60i and the 58 but here it is at $1375 https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...utter-1-5130-1
    If the specs are accurate, this unit may accept 1 phase and 3 phase.
    Doubtful that is a big selling point to consumers, but condensing the production makes sense for the manufacturer.

Otherwise, the fan IS horrendously loud, at least compared to contemporary low-wattage axial fans.
    Why, when there are high-power yet low-noise fans, do they put such junk?
    Does it make your $XXXX tool more macho if the fan screams? I don't get it!

Hoping to find a way to quiet the fan, I attempted to disassemble, maybe some low noise mounts or neoprene strips.
    The first screw was already half stripped , even the old school hammer/impact was unable to budge. Probably gonna have to drill out.

Might call ESAB and ask them to drop me a handful of matching screws, and tell them to send a new tip down to Mexico for the assemblyman's gun.

If you look at the duty-cycle/output of a 58, and a 60i/New A-60 type of machines I will take the fan noise any day. 6.2 KW of the 52-58 machines, and almost 8000 KW of the new model. It kicks butt on gouging with a way longer arc length.Push the 60i, and it's way more machine then the earlier design cutmaster. Which I still like too. The old torch really likes 60 amp consumables with the newer type machine
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-03-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

The 60i seems to be a little above 20% higher output, but both are 60 amp output and marketed as 5/8 recommended cut capacity. 60i pierce is 5/8",58 is 1/2". I wonder if the main difference is that the 58 seems to be handheld only and the 60i can be converted to machine(table) use?
    ---Meltedmetal

Both can be converted to CNC use The standard voltage divider card works in all cutmasters from the 52/58/82/102/152 Different part # for the 40i/60i machines.. I have the older card. but just used my CandCnc stuff on the 60i Works great.. The full arc volts/Arc good/ contactor are all on the board of the 60i. Just not divided arc volts.. Has a cool feature on the 60i. It can use a exposed tip with ohmic sensor for low amp work. Pretty cool there.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

TD seems to have a few machines in the same general ball park. That is 52, 58, 60i and maybe A60i. I don't have CNC, nor can I likely afford/justify it for what I do. There is a guy local to me who does have a table so if I need that capacity I'd likely just give him the work. So if I was going to buy something to do manual cuts on mostly 1/2" or maybe occasionally 3/4" and down what are the features that should sway my decision between the 3? I guess the 52 is a bit less capable and older technology than the other 2? The 58 says 1\2" pierce to the 60i's 5/8" pierce. And the 60i has a bit better duty cycle. I haven't checked prices yet but I expect them all to fall between $2K and $3K CAD. The Hypertherm 45xp is probably in that price range too but closer to the upper end.
    Or conversely what don't you like about any of the 4?
    ---Meltedmetal

I would look to a Hypertherm 45XP for the options on consumables. On the other hand.... if you just want a solid no frills cutter, a 52/58 my suit your needs.. The 60i is perfect for what I do, but that does not match up to everyone's needs.. I had all those machines, except the 58..Same KW as the 52, so I really don't expect and difference between the two of them..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

Btw, the 60i that I bought during the sale works super nice!!

I sold my other 2 and just kept the 60i.

It was very worth the money to have the extra power - in my opinion.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I sold two of mine too.Two 60i machines that is..Really traded one for a mill. The other guy threw in a 15 HP electric motor to make power for the mill.. That guy told me his 60i has paid for itself 2-3 times in the gouging he does..(about 3 weeks so far) He is thrilled, and wants me to find him another one..Also says his 60i is not new anymore.. Uses it on 460 volts a lot, and gouges all day with it..zero duty-cycle issues.. Loves it over his two Hypertherm's. Went out of his way to say so...:laugh...Not a joke at all of stuff they fix..Saw Mills Maintenance , Bridge building forms, etc..Never complained about the loud fan, but dug the duty-cycle of the 60i..

I got mine for $455 after rebate (machine only) and a new standard 20 ft SL-60 gun from E-bay at $305. $760 total, and a real 4 year warranty too.. Have a 25 ft extension,Sl-40 torch, and a SL-100 SV torch on mine.. Don't miss my Hypertherm 45XP at all. It was a quiet machine but really sucked compared to a 60i when cutting 1.00 MS. Power difference shows up there. The extra Power into the 60 amp consumables really show up on the 60i over the 120 amp cutmaster's I had. Nice fix for a old school torch.. The 9-8215 electrodes are the same Part # as the old ones, but have been redesigned for longer life.. Was a 9-8214 # but all are the same now..
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-04-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-PCH-42ER
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

Thanks for the opinions. I thought about buying one in the U.S. but the bank/credit card/paypal exchange rate is close to $1.40 CAD/$1.00 USD and then I pay another 15% GST/QST at the border and if it has to go back to the U.S. for warranty or exchange I could pay the 15% again if it is not the same serial number so the warranty is sort of ho hum. I've got to go see my LWS to find out prices. He's listed as a vendor for TD plasma. He used to sell for Hyperrtherm too, I think, but he's not listed as a dealer anymore, the last time I checked. Thanks again.
    ---Meltedmetal

60i = best gouging machine available. Nothing like it on the market, it's worth the money alone just for that ability.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Re: Amazon/Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60i

Quote Originally Posted by BananasCentral View Post

Air is supplied by a 1973 Speed-Aire (Sears) with CH VT pump 1.5hp 230v
    The regulator is set just below the safety vent pressure of plasma cutter.
    I have the same compressor! Are you finding it keeps up to the plasma? Seems on the small side for the 60i

Re: Amazon/Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60i

My Grandpa had an identical compressor when I was a boy, the FIRST electrical device to accidentally shock me LOL! Good times!

The one I have was basically new. It had a misaligned belt and was rigged for 230, the owner never ran it! SINCE 1973!
    Oil was sparkling clean, contacts looked new, there was a BIG STAR washer right inside the pressure switch which was likely the source of stray voltage (on Grandpa's)

It keeps up fine on 230 (nominal marking, 238v actual in my panel) with outlet pressure set around 110 psi.
    230 also makes full power on 100ft 12ga cord. I'd rather have more voltage than more cord!

What I really like is the low volume and low rpm sound. Like a John Deere B almost.
    I have a 80gal 5hp w/ 5hp Harbour Freight V pump, but HATE the big compressor kicking on while I'm machining.
    BWWAAHHH!!! Spooks the crap out of me!
    Last edited by BananasCentral; 01-09-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Things I say are not always clear the first time, worse when I write.
    If you are selling a lathe that swings 22", and live in Central FL, please PM me a price and some pics.

Did every one get their rebates? I can not remember if I got mine.

Edit: Duh I just found this post by me.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Let us know if spraying anti spatter on the consumables has any effect on life span.

Oh yeah and I got my Burn and Urn $100 credit card today
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.