Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC Multiprocess Welder - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC Multiprocess Welder

Well I can see it (seemingly) the same style of questionable drive motor assembly that my old Millermatic 211 inverter has. Hopefully they really tightened up the tolerances on that stuff. If they did, I'm sure it will be a very capable welder.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Jody's video this week begins a review of this machine. Had it been available when I bought my two red machines I might have bought it instead. Two gas feeds in the rear of the case one for Mig one for Tig. Looks like a neat machine to me.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

He doesn’t mention ac pulse but doesn’t clearly state why.
    It’s because this machine doesn’t have AC pulse
    I am also confused on why a 220amp machine uses a 25dinse instead of a 35.
    Gas thru dinse are nice but more costly when upgrading
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    He doesn’t mention ac pulse but doesn’t clearly state why.
    It’s because this machine doesn’t have AC pulse
    I am also confused on why a 220amp machine uses a 25dinse instead of a 35.
    Gas thru dinse are nice but more costly when upgrading
    Now this is why these forums are good. I missed that. Now why wouldn't they put ac pulse on that machine?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684, Lincoln 3350, Speedglas 9100xx, Klutch 800 Series
    Lathe and Milling Machines

They will ! AFTER their victims test the 220 on those immediate. It'll be called a 221P.
    Remember when they "upgraded" the MM200 ?
    Remember when they "upgraded" the 211 ?
    It's a Miller thang.
    Beta testing

Quote Originally Posted by jerje View Post
    Now this is why these forums are good. I missed that. Now why wouldn't they put ac pulse on that machine?
    AC pulse can get tricky. Some machines can only do 10pps in AC. And some engineers say anything more than that “doesn’t work well and is useless”
    My thought on this machine is they are trying to give Lincoln a run for their money. The Lincoln sw200 and 210mp are roughly $3k. Being that it has a hotter start in DC tells me they re worked their software to be similar to Lincoln and cater to newer welders who can get 1 machine to do anything they need. And they try to dummy proof it with their auto settings. Anyone with a little experience would most likely not use that.
    I still wish miller would use flowmeters instead of regulators.
    I would be willing to be this doesn’t weld anywhere near as nice as their others but hey for 3k to do all processes you can’t get everything you want in a brand name. I also think the esab one will have way more options for about the same price. So you pick brand name with less options or not as popular brand with more options. Just my .02
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

i have one and i use it as my portable tig/mig welder. i have a dynasty 350 as my main machine, but its a real cool machine that can easily be transported. it has a great mig arc as well.

Does anyone know how the mig arc on the multimatic 220 is compared to the multimatic 200? Does it wet out as nice etc. Or for that matter against the millermatics? I have a 350P and a lincoln 135plus, but am thinking of getting a tig ( Everlast because of price point ) or maybe the multimatic 220. For the price, it would have to mig as well as a multimatic 200 and it would have to have a real stable tig arc on ac. It seems most machines have no issue on dc, but obviously it would have to do that well too. Thank you all for any help. I cannot find much new on the Multimatic 220. Maybe due to price? You either get Miller videos ( basic ) or Baker gas which is better but still trying to sell units to some extent. Jody has one on welding tips and tricks which shows the tig arc which is real helpful. It didn't look all that bad in his video. Are these units selling and just no reviews anywhere to speak of? Anyway thanks to anyone who has tried it to compare to the 200 machine.

Why are you considering a Multimatic 220 when you already have a 350P and a 135 plus?

Do you need a portable rig?

Just curious.

Anyhoo- I have no doubt the Mig functions the same- they started with the Passport, Passport Plus and then on to the Multimatics. Inverter based and smooooth on Mig.

I really like my Passport over my 252.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Due to the price mainly. I really want a tig and I can picture doing intake manifold mods or fixes and even though I would probably need an oven for preheat anyway, I would prefer the extra amps over a diversion. If I spent that much, I would want the same mig quality as the Multimatic 200. I would LOVE a Dynasty, but hard to justify for just dubbing around and although I would love to do side jobs, I'm getting a little too old and haven't welded professionally for over 26 years so it would be hard to sell people on my lack of experience and knowlege at this point. I would also possibly give my 135 to a friend since the Multimatic would have both 110v and 220v. Not a great gift to my friend, but the little 135 has been a good little 110v welder if there really is such a thing. It gives a little too much spatter ( have not tried wraping the cable around anything to try and help ) but goo just the same.

I am really on the fence with this welder.... I have a chance to pick up a brand new one from a guy for $2499. With this and the Esab 205 I typically hate buying the first generation.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Why are you considering a Multimatic 220 when you already have a 350P and a 135 plus?

Do you need a portable rig?

Just curious.

Anyhoo- I have no doubt the Mig functions the same- they started with the Passport, Passport Plus and then on to the Multimatics. Inverter based and smooooth on Mig.

I really like my Passport over my 252.
    I had a Passport, sold it years ago when the Multimatic 200 came out. It welds so damn nice that it honestly gives my 350P anxiety when it sees me grab the baby machine over it...

I imagine the 220 is just as nice as my 200.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Ran some stick tonight, 7014,7018,7024 and 6010.....nice! Auto set is too hot.
    Noticed it went to 500 IPM WFS.....hmmmm, 95/5, 030, spray?.....oh yea! 25 volts/425 IPM and away we go.
    Now I am stoked to try some TIG.

I like it....a lot!
    solid wire, flux core, lift arc, hi freq, steel, aluminum all run very nice, smooth.....plenty of power.
    Auto set seems to be to hot but that can be overridden.
    One complaint would be the MDX gun. The nozzle threads on and is a very tight fit, one little bit of spatter or grinding dust and it's gonna be a bitch to get on and off.