Champion 16 idle control module - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Champion 16 idle control module

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Man I hate those little beggers! Or is that buggers?
    I worked on a guy's Bobcat one time. It had soooo many dobber nests that I got a bucket and just started throwing 'em in it as I broke them loose. Don't remember the exact number but it was somewhere around 30 IIRC.

I just got in, so I'll do a clean up and get a couple of more pictures in the morning. It sounds like if I had about 4 of the correct components I could resurrect this board, (just being an optimist)!

As I indicated earlier, it appears to be a pretty basic idler control circuit and my experience with similar has been a failed switching transistor, main power transistor, timing capacitor or a blown flyback diode (CR1 on your board that I don't suspect in this case).
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Here's a couple of more pictures. Name:  Hobart idle circuit board 001.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  125.1 KB Name:  Hobart idle circuit board 002.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  177.0 KB Are you looking for something specific? If so, maybe I can get a picture of just that area.

Do you know how to check a capacitor to see if it charges/discharges with a DMM?

How about testing transistors?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I don't know how to test the components, but if it's not too complicated I might be able to follow through. I do have a digital MM.

I have a friend who say he can come by and test things, but he won't be in the area until tomorrow. What should I look for?

Testing a transistor:

https://vetco.net/blog/test-a-transistor-with-a-multimeter/2017-05-04-12-25-37-07

You'll want to remove the transistors from the circuit to avoid false results.

Without a capacitance tester you can do a basic charge/discharge test of the subject DC capacitor by setting the DMM to a high OHM setting and place the probes on the each lead. The display value should increase and will likely go quickly. Reverse the leads and the value should go from high to low or 0. This typically happens immediately so watch closely. Unfortunately, this tells you nothing about the capacitors overall capacitance or leakage. You should be able test C1 with it still in the circuit but can remove it if there is any question regarding your results.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Duane, resistor R3 was open. Replaced and it's functioning just like new. It sure is nice to get something someone was going to give up on running again. Thanks for you help.

AGW, thanks for your help also. Your information helped me to keep digging for an answer. I talked to one guy who was retired from the welding industry. He's now working on welders and selling some parts, and he told me in no uncertain terms I needed to keep looking for the correct ser. #. That he'd worked on hundreds of Hobart Champion 16 welders and the number I gave him was for something else!

Hopefully this information will help someone else working one of these stepchildren!

Now, any you guys knowledgeable about installing a 3rd function valve on a Kubota L4240 tractor?

That's great. Way to go, Sir.

That's awesome news. I knew you'd get to the bottom of it in the end. Looking at R3 now you can see the discoloring between the red and violet(?) bands. Being open, voltage couldn't get to Q1 to turn it on. Good work! I am a little surprised it was an open resistor though but obviously anything is possible in electronics.

According to what AGW said, the SN you listed is legit. Perhaps the other guy is like me and never worked on or seen a pre-ITW Champion 16.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Guys, I got the covers all back in place and used it to weld some. It works nicely. I'm going to take it over to my nephews and let him weld some pipe fence for a few hours.

The guy I got it from came by and was asking me what I was doing with it. When I told him I'd pretty much gone through it and cleaned everything, changed oil, filters and got the idle control board working, adjusted valves, cleaned carb...he asked me what he could buy it back for. I think he may have been kidding.

Thanks again, guys!

Oh, I got the 3rd function valve installed to!

Glad i found this thread, I have a Hobart G-225-K gas drive with the same idle issue, the control module is the same, I had a obviously blown capacitor which i replaced but still no function, now I have to test the rest of the components, will pay particular attention to that R3 resistor.

Tested the resistors, all checked out to the correct value, swapped out the CR1 diode just because i had a replacement, no luck, need to remove the Q1 to test so will replace it with a new one, my board is slightly different than Len's board. replaced that capacitor with a identical unit, the discoloration at the top edge is where it blew out.Name:  WP_20190521_16_44_54_Pro_(2)[1].jpg
Views: 83
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by AKAMick; 05-31-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Seems to be Hobarts like mine are an orphan machine, oh well!

Replaced the main power transistor 2N4921 and it works perfectly now, thanks for Ebay there is always someone selling the part you need no matter how obsolete, nice to hear it idle down like it is supposed to do, now to get the Aux power and Weld power engine speeds dialed in an this old but trusty machine will be perfect, love how it runs 6010, even 5/32 rod, it does real good for not being a DC generator machine. totally chuffed!