Do folks still layout the old school way? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    All of the hardware I'm using in this trailer is 316 stainless. Shiny is not real important.
    I opened a new order of stuff for my trailer and it is all shiny. Most 316 I've been around is mill finish. Also got me a new sack of insulators for the dissimilar metals contact:

    Name:  20181013_132609_resized.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  94.6 KB

    Name:  20181013_132705_resized.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  97.8 KB

    Hopefully get the fenders mounted to my trailer yet this weekend. New roof going on the house so that's kind of taken precedence over hobby work right now.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    bar stool
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    I sure hope you ain't using them new ashat shingles on the roof.

    Amishmen are rolling a lot of steel roofing and selling it around here since so many 30 year guarantee roofs went to leaking after 15 years. Out where you are you could probably make a nice buck rolling steel with one of the portable mills.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    I sure hope you ain't using them new ashat shingles on the roof.

    Amishmen are rolling a lot of steel roofing and selling it around here since so many 30 year guarantee roofs went to leaking after 15 years. Out where you are you could probably make a nice buck rolling steel with one of the portable mills.
    The steel roofs are really gaining in popularity around here. We are not having the complete roof done, only the low pitch over the kitchen which is single story. Had a runner leak and a lot of rot to get rid of plus no insulation over the room so it was noticeably cooling in the winter than rest of house. It is .060 EPDM roofing. The house was completely resheeted and roofed in 2004 and it's held up well. The original rubber roof put down over the kitchen at the same time was not installed correctly and came loose in winds early last year. I got it reattached and it's finally getting replaced again. Original contractor is out of business and home insurance is covering this replacement with a deductible.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    bar stool
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    The rubber is definitely tough, remember it flapping when the building fell out from under it in OK City.

    State bought some new roofs + insulation for the college in Brockport, and I got a good chunk of rubber from one of the guys on the job. Put some of it under my steel roof in the valleys for additional protection.

    How it gets installed on flats is 90% of the job according to people I talk to who are roofers. Problem with installing seems to revolve around most of the Union Roofers being stoned either from the glue or what they're smoking and swallowing. That glue is next to lethal in my thinking, and I only caught a wiff of the fumes.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    The rubber is definitely tough, remember it flapping when the building fell out from under it in OK City.

    State bought some new roofs + insulation for the college in Brockport, and I got a good chunk of rubber from one of the guys on the job. Put some of it under my steel roof in the valleys for additional protection.

    How it gets installed on flats is 90% of the job according to people I talk to who are roofers. Problem with installing seems to revolve around most of the Union Roofers being stoned either from the glue or what they're smoking and swallowing. That glue is next to lethal in my thinking, and I only caught a wiff of the fumes.
    It is strong and almost the same composition as solvent based contact cement in days of old. I used to use it when installing vinyl roofs on cars when those were popular. Cleanliness is paramount for a good bond and these guys are really just starting out in a new venture and want to leave a good impression so following steps correctly. I've seen enough of their work here to know they are going to do a good job.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    bar stool
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    It is strong and almost the same composition as solvent based contact cement in days of old. I used to use it when installing vinyl roofs on cars when those were popular. Cleanliness is paramount for a good bond and these guys are really just starting out in a new venture and want to leave a good impression so following steps correctly. I've seen enough of their work here to know they are going to do a good job.
    I tend to be a little nervous around solvent based cements since the time I was working in a new store while the flooring guys were laying down cement for a few thousand feet of vinyl tile. 3 guys spreading had a lot of cement down and I was thinking I needed to be someplace else when the refrigeration fitter stuck his torch into the trench to solder a joint. Who knew back before OSHA that solvent was heavier than air as it fumed off? Nobody held a safety meeting or showed us a video. His hair grew back in a few weeks and the flooring guys called for more men to set tile on top of the cement so they didn't have to scrape it off the concrete and start over.
    I looked at the sprinkler fitter and he pointed to the closed valve. Grabbed my hand tools and headed out.

    Some of them solvents can be fast burning.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bulldog Heaven at the end of my chain
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    I understand. Used to watch guys in the military clean aircraft engine bays with R-11 which displaced oxygen till they hauled a dead marine from a Harrier engine bay putting a stop to the practice. Why he was doing this without a supplied air mask I never knew but it killed him in less than two minutes.
    Slob

    Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

    Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,551

    Re: Do folks still layout the old school way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I understand. Used to watch guys in the military clean aircraft engine bays with R-11 which displaced oxygen till they hauled a dead marine from a Harrier engine bay putting a stop to the practice. Why he was doing this without a supplied air mask I never knew but it killed him in less than two minutes.
    It's what marines do. Thats why thy" ARE THE FIRST TO GO IN !!!". They get blown up before the army's K9 guys follow behind to review, then the corps of engineers get the OK to do strips,bases, containers and shops.... or whatever.
    Just don't tell that to a jarhead..They'll open some whpazz.........stomp on their toe. Don't waste time hitting them in the head.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement