Watching the Puddle
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Watching the Puddle

I have a question about the weld puddle.

Running beads using GMAW on 1/4" plate.....HH 210mvp, dragging, .030 wire and 18CFH Co2.

When I'm watching the puddle, it looks like bubbles moving around at the back end of the puddle. They just kind of follow the puddle and then disappear.

I've ground down the weld beads and there is no porosity.

Are the bubbles in the puddle normal, or are they indicative of a bad setting....voltage, amps, CHF???
    Gregg
    Handler 210 MVP

Re: Watching the Puddle

They are normal. I know many are going to advise that you push your puddle however.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    They are normal. I know many are going to advise that you push your puddle however.
    But don't do it.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    But don't do it.
    Yes, hopefully bringing up the point early will curtail the ever roaring debate. There’s advantages and disadvantages to both, and I’ll just keep it short, and say it’s dictated by the material you’re welding, accessibility to the joint, desired bead profile/penetration, and whether or not you need extra visibility.

Ok, back to your original query, the little bubbles you are seeing are just impurities bubbling out of the weld metal, the reason they are not in your weld is because they are at the surface and vaporizing into the air. There will always be a little bit of impurities purposely added to the filler metal(deoxidizers, additives, etc), and likely small amounts on the surface of the metal you’re welding. The heat of the molten metal causes them to rise, condense, and release into the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 10-04-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

I always thought the bubbles were the copper coating on the wire? Could be totally wrong though
    2 Hobart MIG welders, 1 on the gas 1 flux core
    HTP Invertig 221 DV
    Eastwood TIG200
    HTP MIG 2400

Thanks guys
    Gregg
    Handler 210 MVP

Watching the Puddle

Solid wire mig always welds better with the scale removed from the steel. Clean metal is best with mig.
    You can push or pull solid wire mig. Either way is acceptable. However, there are advantages or disadvantages to each. Pushing is best when welding thin sheet metals. Pushing the puddle achieves less penetration. Pulling the puddle is best when welding thicker plate. Pulling the puddle achieves more penetration.
    Regardless of pushing or pulling your puddle, always keep the wire on the leading edge of the puddle.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720