Is an oldschool Kalamazoo 300 band saw any good and worth fixing up? - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Is an oldschool Kalamazoo 300 band saw any good and worth fixing up?

Just wanting to know if I would be able to determine if it is worth extended investments. Never having owned one of these I have no clue what to look for. I don’t find a great amount of info about this saw on the WWW.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Keep in mind your OLD blade may be creating problems that may not exist using a NEW blade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The saw did not come with a blade and the down feed cylinder was not working at time of purchase either. I took a gamble on the name hoping it would pan out. It was in pretty rough shape.

I will try to wiggle the head to see if there is any slop.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-10-2018 at 01:58 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I stopped at one of the local Welding supply houses to take a gander at what was new and saw several things I would like to own. Like the ULine Bifocal Safety Glasses and a Harris Mig Nozzle Reamer/cleaner

What I am really posting about is I found what I believe would be a nice alternative to the OEM Blade Brushes. I think it might be kind of fun to figure out a way to make one of these. I drooled over the saw for a minute then came back to reality.

Name:  20181206_083638.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  20181206_083643.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  20181206_083635.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  58.2 KB

Is an oldschool Kalamazoo 300 band saw any good and worth fixing up?

Make the brush. Looks like a fun useful addition.

I rigged up a compressed air setup for chip clearing and blade cooling on that old Ellis I refurbed. Solenoid activated to start and stop with the saw switch. Also plumbed in a short airline and nozzle for cleanup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 12-06-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Name:  thumb.gif
Views: 54
Size:  139 Bytes

So N, what's stopping you from grabbing a couple cheap 2" brushes with the stiffest possible bristles off ePay and experimenting?
    Hint: brush will need to be at the correct angle to the blade to get the teeth to rotate the brush or it will get a flat spot fast and not turn.
    You need the brush to turn but not spin freely.

Nothing is stopping me but I really have other things to do first. Like get my garage cleaned up so I have room to repair this and use it once it is working.

To make progress andnot loose the train of thought you should get the brushes on the way so they will be waiting when you get the garage clean.
    That way you can put the brushes in a safe place, and order more brushes cause you can't find which safe space you put them in.

Re: Is this oldschool Kalamazoo band saw any good and worth fixing up?

Tony,
    You can also get the wire brush assortment for drills from Harbor Freight. There is a 2 inch one that is perfect for this application. I did that idea in my horizontal bandsaw.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Virgil everytime I hide something from my self in a safe place I always forget where I hid it

Thanks Pat I'll give HF a look and maybe pick up a free electric fly swatter while I am there

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Virgil everytime I hide something from my self in a safe place I always forget where I hid it

Thanks Pat I'll give HF a look and maybe pick up a free electric fly swatter while I am there
    While yer finding, see if you can find any of the funny lookin copper thingys in the crappy looking cardboard box with MIG + Plz marked on 2 ends in black magic marker. They didn't belong where I had them for years.