need help - aluminium on DC electrode
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

need help - aluminium on DC electrode

He fellas - bought some 3/32 and 1/8 auminium electrode sticks on amazon.. Tried some this evening - what a mess.. Experimented between 55 and 85 amps.. had positive electrode, seems others have had much better luck than i have:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/stickaluminum/

Every time I get the arc started it dies and the tip is full of flux (scrape off on coarse stone / try again - same thing).. I might try angle the stick forward instead of dragging it like stick..

and the most current review on amazon for the same sticks reads:

"This is fantastic. Everyone says you need fancy equipment to weld aluminum. It is just not true. This stuff works great with (DC electrode +). In only have an AC buzz box and thought I'd give it a try. It doesn't work. You can not keep an arch with an AC machine. I rented a DC welder for $35 and it worked perfectly. I was amazed. I am not a good welder and it because of that, it didn't work perfect, but it sticks. I am sure a good welder could lay a great bead with this stuff."

Product link here:

http://a.co/d/0P66VCF

My welder is a little CT-312 110v inverter DC welder -

any help appreciated! Im plugged into a 30a socket (no leads), clean ground clamps / etc.. Thing is my test piece was a volvo penta boat exhaust, not sure if they used some special alloy perhaps - not that I would even know where to begin -

If i could get ANYTHING as close to this guys welds id be more than happy -

Name:  3564967441_9fcf9e67b0.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  90.8 KB
    Last edited by SavedInChrist; 10-04-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Re: need help - aluminium on DC electrode

I have never used it myself. I have TIG and spool guns so no need for it. Even in the field I'll run my spool gun off of my Trailblazer. However I have seen the outcome of my customers attempting to use them when I can't get there soon enough. The end result always costs them significantly more money. I have yet to see any attempt that had even a gimmir of hope. I honestly would question if that weld was indeed welded with stick.

One thing to possibly consider is if it's your welder. I know some of the small cheaper inverters don't like 6010, it might be possible they don't like aluminum electrodes either?

Best of luck!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Mostly I believe you're not using enough amps for the 1/8" rod. I haven't used 3/32" in aluminum.

In general, if you are near the bottom of the range for a given rod, it's harder to keep it lit.

Since aluminum stick welding is generally more difficult to do well anyway, using too little amps compounds the problem.

Although I can stick weld aluminum, I do not like to. Greatly prefer tig, my push-pull gun, or a spool gun - in that order.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

i've used aluminum stick several times as a very last resort. i couldn't ever make welds to brag about but got the pieces to hold. bad appearance and lots of splatter was typical.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I tried some, standing on my work barge under a large aluminum boat house structure thing. Used a buddys engine drive. I found that preheating the area to be welded helped a lot. It got the job done.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Quote Originally Posted by SavedInChrist View Post
    He fellas - bought some 3/32 and 1/8 auminium electrode sticks on amazon.. Tried some this evening - what a mess.. Experimented between 55 and 85 amps.. had positive electrode, seems others have had much better luck than i have:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/stickaluminum/

Every time I get the arc started it dies and the tip is full of flux (scrape off on coarse stone / try again - same thing).. I might try angle the stick forward instead of dragging it like stick..

and the most current review on amazon for the same sticks reads:

"This is fantastic. Everyone says you need fancy equipment to weld aluminum. It is just not true. This stuff works great with (DC electrode +). In only have an AC buzz box and thought I'd give it a try. It doesn't work. You can not keep an arch with an AC machine. I rented a DC welder for $35 and it worked perfectly. I was amazed. I am not a good welder and it because of that, it didn't work perfect, but it sticks. I am sure a good welder could lay a great bead with this stuff."

Product link here:

http://a.co/d/0P66VCF

My welder is a little CT-312 110v inverter DC welder -

any help appreciated! Im plugged into a 30a socket (no leads), clean ground clamps / etc.. Thing is my test piece was a volvo penta boat exhaust, not sure if they used some special alloy perhaps - not that I would even know where to begin -

If i could get ANYTHING as close to this guys welds id be more than happy -

Name:  3564967441_9fcf9e67b0.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  90.8 KB
    1) you might be having a welding machine issue. some machines especially if plugged into 120 volts have a open circuit arc voltage drop trying to run over 50 amps. never going to weld that good if you got a poor welding machine setup
    2) aluminum stick like all sticks rods but more so there is a minimum rod size for thickness to be welded. usually use 1/8 stick rod to weld 1/8 thick material. for thicker you use bigger rod or preheat or use TIG and the rod as filler. usually if welding 1/8 thick with Tig you often are over 200 amps. so trying to stick weld at less than 100 amps of course you would have lack of heat
    3) aluminum stick rod has a narrow amp range above a certain point you melt rod more than transfer heat to part
    4) arc start many pull a slightly long arc starting and do a circle to try to warm start up other wise the arc starts are easy to be cold.
    5) aluminum stick rod is never easy. reason they sell 3/32 and 1/8 is cause with a Tig or Oxyactelyene torch many just use it as filler rod flux and all. if somebody wanted 5/32 or 3/16" aluminum stick rod normally the would just get a mig and argon and use 200 amps mig welding