Do Not Swallow... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Do Not Swallow...

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    yep... I bought a bunch of Proto impact sockets back in the 70's and I have yet to break one. They are good. I'm not too worried about this one since I'll be using it with non-impact sockets but you're right … anything that big is going to need 8 ft. of steel bar on it. I just bought a tandem disc with huge 2 1/4" nuts retaining the discs that I'm working on. I found out if you heat the nut red hot and put a big pipe wrench on it with 7 ft. of pipe, you move the nut but collapse it, which destroys the threads and relocks it on the way off. I'm in the process of making 3 big wrenches capable of holding the square nut on one end and the 2 hex nuts on the other without collapsing them. At one time you could get them from Allis Chalmers, but they are no longer available. The purchased socket isn't deep enough for the second nut so it will just be used to spin them off and on with my 3/4" ratchet after they are loosened.
    I have a number of Proto tools and after a lot of years turning wrenches on military from tanks on down (for 29 years....), ag equipment and construction sites I've never broken one. Lost them maybe but never broken one....

Les, you would do well to cruise on over to ebay and look at Swench mechanical impact wrenches, They are the bomb to getting hard to loosen huts and bolts moving. The company website is https://www.powerhawk.com/swench/#sw-kits-header and you can find the wrenches on ebay for a fraction of the new price. I have the 5120-00-961-9813 set. Note how thick the socket walls are. These CAN NOT be used with cheap impact sockets. They will shatter them like grenades.....
    Lance R

2012 Miller Bobcat 225
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Lincoln LN-25
    Torch set

I broke a 3/4" proto ratchet. I ordered another off ebay for $20. I really like my proto tools!

I will never EVER go to Cali! Its the plague.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Does Joisey have a HIGH SPEED railroad from Noplace to Where?

Does Joisey have a Giant Puddle that was used to demonstrate the benefits of deferred maintenance?

Is it Illegal to generate electrons from liquid or solid fuels?
    ok, you got me beat !

I concede........

T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

30 year old Automotive Technician was trying to get the wheel nuts off my trailer a couple weeks back with his SnatchGun & swearing at it.
    Pulled out the Swench and showed him what an old man can do in 2 minutes.

Rarely comes out of the box any more, but when it does things move.

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Guess I'll just have to quit licking my sockets before I put them away at night...
    OK, on a side note, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that does this. I'm not going to stop though. Gotta have clean tools.

jrw159

30 year old Automotive Technician was trying to get the wheel nuts off my trailer a couple weeks back with his SnatchGun & swearing at it.
    Pulled out the Swench and showed him what an old man can do in 2 minutes.

Rarely comes out of the box any more, but when it does things move.
    Yeah, I love my 1 inch swench like yours it don't show it's face much.... but when nothing else works it does!!!

When Swench don't work Mr Armstrong's nutbusters come out.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Everyone burns California for warning labels. Heck California sets standards that are adopted globally for good reasons. Cancer does not always happen right away but rather 10,20,30or so years later when we age and everything slows down like our immunities. Harp on California all you want but weather hear is very nice all year round in several locations. Don’t be a hater and group all Californians into the dipstick category. It’s the corrupt politicians that ruin everything even here in Cali.
    Vote them out then!
    Same sob story for 25 years now.
    Someone keeps voting them in...
    2 Hobart MIG welders, 1 on the gas 1 flux core
    HTP Invertig 221 DV
    Eastwood TIG200
    HTP MIG 2400

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Vote them out then!
    Same sob story for 25 years now.
    Someone keeps voting them in...
    None of the options are any good. Most all politicians are corrupt in one way or another.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Thermal Dynamics 60i
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A

And....

If they didn't start off that way, the will eventually morph into ...
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

None of the options are any good. Most all politicians are corrupt in one way or another.
    Do you know when a politician is lying to you?

Answer: Anytime their lips are moving.

Funny yes, but sadly true.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Politicians like diapers should be changed frequently, and often for the same reason.

First term, they remember how they got in, but they're too dumb to steal much and they lack sufficient power to cause problems.
    They are also learning if they want election money to run with they play with one of the teams of crooks

Second term, they know how to steal, but they still can't get to the big money pile. Their power is stil low.
    They will also still perform some constituant services.

No politician should ever be elected to a third term in the same office. They know how to steal and are close enough to the pile to steal from it.

That established, protect yourself. Always vote, even against School Bonds and in local elections.
    When you ask a politician for anything he listens. Then he calls the Election Board and checks how often you vote.
    Regular voters generally get what they ask for. Non voters get sh!T.

Political contributions mean nothing unless you give heavy money.

Everytime I see that label about the cancer it just makes me happy that I don't live in that sh!thole.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Everytime I see that label about the cancer it just makes me happy that I don't live in that sh!thole.
    Have you checked the ambient air level of flying asbestos in your State recently?

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I just got a pair of boots rebuilt by Whites in Spokane Wa…. Had that stupid warning tied to the top lace hole.

Ever wonder how much of what you pay for something new is cost of Insurance + Califools?
    How much of the price of your vehicle is CaliCaused?

When will the Califools be forced to comply with CARB regulations?

Have you checked the ambient air level of flying asbestos in your State recently?
    I worked in the copper industry for years and was exposed to asbestos before they knew of its hazards. Now that the mine has closed and the asbestos from there is gone , I'm hoping I'm gonna be ok.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by LanceR View Post
    I have a number of Proto tools and after a lot of years turning wrenches on military from tanks on down (for 29 years....), ag equipment and construction sites I've never broken one. Lost them maybe but never broken one....

Les, you would do well to cruise on over to ebay and look at Swench mechanical impact wrenches, They are the bomb to getting hard to loosen huts and bolts moving. The company website is https://www.powerhawk.com/swench/#sw-kits-header and you can find the wrenches on ebay for a fraction of the new price. I have the 5120-00-961-9813 set. Note how thick the socket walls are. These CAN NOT be used with cheap impact sockets. They will shatter them like grenades.....
    Thanks for the heads up, but Ebay doesn't work well for me. Most of those vendors won't ship to Canada, won't accept Canadian credit cards if I get a mailbox in North Dakota, and my PayPal account was permanently frozen with a 45cent debt I can't pay after it got hacked. That's the first time I've heard of the Swench impact wrenches. They do have a Canadian distributor, but if you add about 45% to the price of a new US one, I'm pretty sure it's going to be nasty high. I did give my partsman a link to the supplier though, maybe he can make a buck selling them up here. When u say you can't use them with cheap sockets, are you able to use your Proto sockets with it without breaking them?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I have used my swench with quite a few different chinese/etc... import sockets(usually heavy walled impact) and can't remember breaking one yet... well maybe one... hard to remember but I have seen some chinese stuff break with the long handle wrench that came with the socket kit I have also broken a few 1 inch drive (non-impact)import sockets/extensions/drivers just by putting a 6-8 foot pipe on them and jumping up and down on it...

One other thing about the larger swenches... make sure and keep them oiled during use!!! I was pulling a set of wheels off one of the trucks that would not budge with air power and after a good half hour of non-stop swenching at max swench power!!! my swench seized up... ended up friction welding itself together right at the hardened bushings!!! I was kinda shocked when I figured out why it quit but I guess there is a lot of energy getting transferred about and some of it didn't get to the threads...

Odd thing is Swench has been around since World War 2, and damn few people know about it. I got lucky early on learning about them from Government surplus.
    They are heavy, but worth their weight with what they can do.
    You also need to keep them locked up and know how to use the tool.

Mine hasn't popped a socket yet, but it definitely killed an extension or two. The genuine Swench extensions are hollow tube for good reason. I've often thought there should be a padlock loop on the handle.

Importing new swenches to Canada might be interesting to watch. I'll guarantee once you get one you'll find it worth the effort to get it.

Had no idea who that is so a quick google search brought up some information that is all propaganda crap I'm not interested in so I could not say one way or the other. I guess some things are not funny to every one. " shoulder shrugs "
    You missed out. He is the Spartacus guy. You know he will sacrifice his manhood for the liberal cause of the day.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Odd thing is Swench has been around since World War 2, and damn few people know about it. I got lucky early on learning about them from Government surplus.
    I didn't. Thanks for the heads up.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I didn't. Thanks for the heads up.
    Originated with Curtis Weight to get the propeller nuts off aircraft in the field when compressed air tools weren't an option.

Aircraft mechanics have a near complete aversion to air tools beyond riveting.

My first experience with a Swench near put me off the tool. I thought sure I'd busted it when it triggered, and was scared I'd be in deep trouble. Air Force guy who brought it was laughing like hell so I must have looked scared. AF guy showed us how to build fixtures for some jobs a vise crushed and special sockets for the Swench. I learned a lot from him and guys like him.

SWENCH... never heard about it... Now I WANT one... thanks Weldingweb...

I need one now, too!

Lol
    T man.