How to anchor square posts for iron gate
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to anchor square posts for iron gate

I know this is not primarily a welding question but I haven't found an iron fence forum and I bet people here can answer it. If you want to shoo me off somewhere else please tell me where to go. :-)

I plan to convert the pictured section of fence to a gate. The gate will hinge on the left (by the cedar fence) and latch on the right (by the garage wall). The moving part of the gate will be made from the same piece of fence, reduced a few inches to about 4 feet wide and still 5 feet tall--I will cut it to width and weld 1" square tubing on the sides.

I have decided to hang the gate on 2" square steel posts. The question is how to anchor them in or to the slab. These are the ways I've though of:

Method 1:
    Weld attaching plates to the bottom of the posts. Put the posts in position, hold them plumb, drill into the slab through the mounting holes in the bottom plates, install the anchors and bolts. Since the existing concrete slab in graded down toward the middle from either side, mortar or other cement product would have to be used to fill the empty angled space under the bottom plates where the slab slants away from them.

Method 2:
    First position and bolt the bottom plates directly flat to the slab, then position the posts and scribe and cut them to the necessary angle to make up for the slope of the plates on the slab. Then weld the posts to the plates.

Method 3:
    Use the 3 1/2" diamond concrete boring bit I have from a previous project to cut holes in the 4" concrete slab and set the posts in the holes with expoxy or other footing compound. Long, slow process that overheats my 1/2" drill and is guaranteed to hit rebar on the way down.

I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts and advice on the best method to use. If using bottom plates, what size should they be? I picked up some predrilled 4" square plates when I bought the post tubing but they seem to me to be a bit small for the task.

Thanks,
    Tony

Name:  fence.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  127.1 KB

Re: How to anchor square posts for iron gate

Just hinge it on the fence similar to the gate on the right of the picture, it looks like it won't be very heavy.

I have done similar things many differing ways....

Drilling method: anymore core drills run about 80 bucks on ebay and around 35$ for a bit(will take about 3 to 4 minutes to go through 4 inches), doing this will get you a lot more actual support without stressing the walkway if it is too thin...then just go in with a shop vac and small bar to get as deep as you need

Anchor plate method: simplest way is just weld it as flat as you can to the post then drill one and anchor it in place and then drill the rest... when done loosen and place shims/washers/etc under any anchor spot that needs it the downside to using plates is they are ugly, they stick out in the way to stub feet on... you can offset them but from you pics I don't see much room to the outside of the walk???

Weld in place method: this way is definitely better than the previous one but you will still probably need to do some shimming...

normally for something like this I would use at least 1/4 inch plate 4" square is fine for that size gate but if you have the room go for 6"sqr.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Just hinge it on the fence similar to the gate on the right of the picture, it looks like it won't be very heavy.
    That's the way I think I would go too. That fence post right next to it is going to give you plenty of lateral strength to hold the gate, since it does not appear to be very heavy. Which way will the gate swing, toward the camera or away from it?

Which ever you decide, don't get dog bit while you're working.

Ha ha, the sign is more a hopeful suggestion than a real threat--our dog would just want to say hello and then go back on the couch. I did (for years) think about using the existing attachment points, but decided if I was going to do it I would do it as securely as possible. The existing fence section can be unbolted in a few minutes, whereas on the post-built one I plan to have a deadbolt and spot weld all the fitting bolts.

Re the 3-4 minutes to go through a 4 inch slab, hitting at least one piece of rebar on the way down, that wasn't my experience with the diamond tipped boring bit I got for a previous project. Maybe my Milwaukee 1/2" drill isn't up to the task? I think all the smoke will come out of it doing another two holes unless I go really slow and take a lot of breaks.

I can make room for 6" plates. The gate doesn't have to be the entire width of the walkway. I plan to make it narrower anyway when I weld 1" tubing on the sides to hold the hinges, latch and deadbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by tshaftel View Post

I have decided to hang the gate on 2" square steel posts. The question is how to anchor them in or to the slab. These are the ways I've though of:

Thanks,
    Tony

If you are dead set on using two inch square tubing to hinge the gate on, then maybe method #4 would work. This involves cutting the 2" to about 9', cutting a point on one end and welding a cap on it. The sharper the angle the better. Prime it well with several coats, at least on the first 3' or so. Cut off the part of the 2x6 laying on the slab under the 2x4 the fence is now attached to. Then set the tubing in between the fence & slab and drive it into the ground with a post driver or a BFH until it is at the top of the top horizontal 2x4 on the fence, or as close to it as you can get it. Cut off the now buggered up section at the top of the 2" tubing, cap it, install the hinges & gate, prime & paint. No need what so ever to do anything to the concrete itself. Being in the ground and right beside the slab, it can't move anywhere. As long as you get it driven in good enough. If it is well primed and painted below ground level before you put it in it will last for many, many years with no problem. Use 2x2x1/4" tubing for best results. If you can get the bottom section of tubing(the part in the ground) hot dip galvanized, so much the better.

Maybe I should think hard about that drilling tool on ebay. It'll sit on a shelf for years afterward, though.

Maybe I should think hard about that drilling tool on ebay. It'll sit on a shelf for years afterward, though.
    You won't even need it with method #4. Just drive the 2" deep into the ground next to the slab and not disturb the concrete at all.

What ever way you decide to do this, post up what you did and why. It may help someone else in the future with a similar situation.

Okay I will.

BTW, I assume by "into the ground" you mean where daylight is visible under the cedar fence in front of the round fence post. Unfortunately if I put it there there wouldn't be enough room for the three trash containers (garbage, recyclables and green trimmings) that sit there during the week til trash day. Forward of the current fence position is a nice
    walled trash container area built by the previous owner.

They say baseball is a game of inches. So is living in the city. :-)

Careful with driving things that far into the ground.... unless you are very certain no utilities are near there.... hence my suggestion for using the shop vac for excavation. When we do housing lots a *lot* of things run right parallel on the lot borders and split off to the structures.... cable, gas, phone,power,water, etc.... sometimes it's on the garage sides sometime on both side of a property... when in doubt call for locates!!! it's a free call

And unless you have very solid rocky soil a 2 inch square post will NOT stay solid in just dirt... just not enough surrounding surface area... unless you drive it down like a piling at least 10-15 feet and even then it will probably have some flex at the top. A 4 inch round hole w/concrete at a minimum depth of 2 feet *should* support the gate ok 3 feet would be better

You have a steel post right there, why not use it? I would weld 2 hinges onto that round galv pipe and call it a day.
    Figure out some sort of latch for the other side and that’s it.

Unless it absolutely has to swing off a square post?
    Last edited by massacre; 10-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.
    2 Hobart MIG welders, 1 on the gas 1 flux core
    HTP Invertig 221 DV
    Eastwood TIG200
    HTP MIG 2400

How close to the welder are you? Long leads? Extension cord?

Bolt the plate flat to the slab and cut/trim square post to fit, weld (or tack & then weld on bench), post to plate.

-c-
    ' ' ' ' "Move along, move along, theres nothing to see here, , , ,"

Okay I will.

BTW, I assume by "into the ground" you mean where daylight is visible under the cedar fence in front of the round fence post. :-)
    No, I mean straight down below where it is now attached the fence. Right in line with the 2x4 it is bolted to. It looks to be a board or brick on top of the short curb there that will have to be removed to do it, but that will leave the fence/future gate exactly where it is now, just able to swing when you're done with the work. As far as any underground utilities being there, I seriously doubt it as the round posts for the wood fence would have hit it when the wood fence was built, and you are only going to be just a matter of inches or only a foot or so from the round fence post that is already there.

I know this is not primarily a welding question but I haven't found an iron fence forum and I bet people here can answer it. If you want to shoo me off somewhere else please tell me where to go. :-)

I plan to convert the pictured section of fence to a gate. The gate will hinge on the left (by the cedar fence) and latch on the right (by the garage wall). The moving part of the gate will be made from the same piece of fence, reduced a few inches to about 4 feet wide and still 5 feet tall--I will cut it to width and weld 1" square tubing on the sides.

Method 1:
    Weld attaching plates to the bottom of the posts. Put the posts in position, hold them plumb, drill into the slab through the mounting holes in the bottom plates, install the anchors and bolts. Since the existing concrete slab in graded down toward the middle from either side, mortar or other cement product would have to be used to fill the empty angled space under the bottom plates where the slab slants away from them.

Method 2:
    First position and bolt the bottom plates directly flat to the slab, then position the posts and scribe and cut them to the necessary angle to make up for the slope of the plates on the slab. Then weld the posts to the plates.

Method 3:
    Use the 3 1/2" diamond concrete boring bit I have from a previous project to cut holes in the 4" concrete slab and set the posts in the holes with expoxy or other footing compound. Long, slow process that overheats my 1/2" drill and is guaranteed to hit rebar on the way down.

I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts and advice on the best method to use. If using bottom plates, what size should they be? I picked up some predrilled 4" square plates when I bought the post tubing but they seem to me to be a bit small for the task.

Thanks,
    Tony

Cut off the bolt thru part of this below and weld it to the gate.
    Name:  35883.Jpg
Views: 252
Size:  75.8 KB
    https://www.hooverfence.com/chain-li...le-strap-hinge
    Attach this to what looks to be a 2.5" diameter galvanized post holding up the wood fence.
    Name:  35888.Jpg
Views: 252
Size:  79.9 KB
    https://www.hooverfence.com/chain-link-male-strap-hinge
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

I wanted a mission and for my sins, they gave me one. - Captain Benjamin L. Willard

All these suggestions make perfectly good sense, but for an inch of obstruction here and there, the size of the three trash containers that have to fit this side of the gate, etc. I won't bore everyone with the details. I really appreciate everyone taking a look and making suggestions. I did decide to embed the posts in the walkway slab. I have one and a half of the two holes bored. Sure enough my hammer drill gave up the ghost--it was on the way--but it led a good life and the next one will finish the job. The posts won't go down past the bottom of the slab so I shouldn't hit any infrastructure. If 4 or 5 inches of embedding in the concrete doesn't seem like enough (googling seems to indicate it is, and the holes are far enough away from the edge) I will horizontally brace the upper part of the posts to the garage wall and cedar fence. When I get it done I'll post a picture...of sufficiently low res that my welds won't show.

LOL, pics are always welcome.. no matter the res...

Here's a bunch of bores I did last week I think there was 20 holes about 3 inch by 4-6 thick on the slab they went into. Each hole was taking less than 2 minutes of actual drill time on a chinese drill I bought about 5 years ago still working good except for the seals leak on the water injection swivel so there's water everywhere including going past the forward bearings and into the cooling fan for the motor by the time I got done drilling my legs were fairly soaked and I was praying the electrical insulation would hold out til I got done

Name:  core-holes-01.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  core-holes.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  43.9 KB

i might be off, as for the picss, and dog signs, it appears to be be poodle repair at convelescent hospital, so my Advice is to just do the best u can w/ hat u got

let me know if anything chages, and i;ll try to help

Bienvenidos ! Muy muy bueno. Too lazy to pull a gate before paint. Pure ghetto. I dig it !