SA200 Mysteries and Challenges
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

SA200 Mysteries and Challenges

Hello team

My octagon barrel SA200 has fantastic compression as follows 130-130-135-130 from the pulleys towards genny. However the sucker is going through oil at 1 quart every two and a half hours on high idle. I’m thinking it’s getting through the valve seals maybe ? Don’t know... that’s why I’m here.
    What do you think it is ? Or how can I fix it. Would it require taking it all apart.... I’m thinking so

My other challenge is the govenor is screaming like crazy at high idle but quiet at idle. I’m thinking it’s the bearings. But I cannot figure out if it is a Hood or Pierce. It is still the factory magneto ignition. I want to buy a rebuild kit and fix it

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Re: SA200 Mysteries and Challenges

One condition that can lead to high oil consumption is a plugged breather tube. With the unit running you should be able to feel a little air flow and/or see a little crankcase vapor coming from the open end of the breather tube behind the carburetor. A plugged breather also typically leads to crank and governor shaft seal leaks.

Search Hoof and Pierce to find rebuild threads on those. I'd look them up but my battery is about to die.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thanks Duanne55

My breather tube isn’t plugged I get a nice vapor or fog that comes out of the tube when it is running.
    However I heard one person tell me that it would have to be leaking through the valve guides maybe ?.

Thanks Scott

Bad valve guides is definitely a possibility as would stuck/worn oil control rings even though you have good compression on all cylinders. A "nice vapor or fog" isn't good if excessive. Your fog description would imply excessive blow-by that could be the result of bad spots in one or more cylinders.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!