Welding bench
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Welding bench

Welding bench

I have a lumber bench which I want to convert half of lengthwise for welding by adding a plate top. It's not ideal I guess, but I dont have the room for another bench and this one sits in just the right spot.
    Question is what would be the minimum plate thickness?
    I was thinking perhaps of laying 3 lengths of bar on the back so that there is an air gap between the plate and the lumber benchtop.

Re: Welding bench

Put a double layer of 5/8 drywall between the plate & the wood top for fire safety.

Thickness is sort of a function of what you're doing on top of the plate. Plate is minimum 1" thick. Thinner is sheet metal.

Don’t go less than 3/8”.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Don’t go less than 3/8”.
    Agreed, Even my 3/8 top suffered some distortion due to welding until I finally built a proper table. Just want to throw this out there as a possibility.. have you thought of building a proper table for your plate(most steel suppliers call over 3/16” plate contrary to virgil’s beliefs) and then having an optional wooden top?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Agreed, Even my 3/8 top suffered some distortion due to welding until I finally built a proper table. Just want to throw this out there as a possibility.. have you thought of building a proper table for your plate(most steel suppliers call over 3/16” plate contrary to virgil’s beliefs) and then having an optional wooden top?
    This is a better idea to build a welding table and then when needed put a wood top on it.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

The current wooden workbench is about 10' long...replacing it in steel would cost too much and I don't want to get rid of it anyway.

Welding bench

Quote Originally Posted by MattFlinders View Post
    The current wooden workbench is about 10' long...replacing it in steel would cost too much and I don't want to get rid of it anyway.
    I would not leave an air gap between.
    remember the 3 things needed to start a fire rule.

That said, you probably won't get it hot enough to worry....
    Plate thickness will depend on the structural integrity of the wooden bench.... and your wallet.
    If you plan to cover all 10' in 3/8, 1/2" or more, you better dig deep.

at that point, I would definitely do what Mechanic416 said.

I have a dedicated table with 1" top.... and yes I DO hammer things on it from time to time... It's a beast.

Last edited by John T; 10-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I guess it’s just the horizontal wood surface immediately next to the welding area that bothers me some. I know...I know let me say it for ya’ “I’ve been welding on a wooden workbench for yeers’ and ain’t never had no fire!” When I didn’t have the resources I set my tabletop on wood saw horses, but the wood was underneath the plate such that berries, sparks, slag, and spatter couldn’t contact it directly. Which, if you care about a smooth clean wood surface to work on.. welding will marr it up with tons of little smoldered spots. I also don’t like the chance of wood absorbing some oil, or other flammable liquid and then igniting from welding.

5’ of plate is still pricy at welding table thickness, your existing table frame better be pretty robust to support it too. I suppose you could always throw a welding blanket over the wood half though.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Digging those radiused corners John, nice touch.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    Digging those radiused corners John, nice touch.
    Wish I could take credit... I bought the table from a guy closing his factory... think I paid about 150 bucks...

years ago...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

I have a dedicated table with 1" top.... and yes I DO hammer things on it from time to time... It's a beast.
    I'm thinking that s/h is the way to go.
    Have a couple of possibles which are for sale....one is large with a 1" top but would be very heavy to move.
    I can move the existing bench to the back corner which I just discovered will fit in the space and put the steel one in it's place...not ideal to have the woodworking vice in a corner but I could move it to another bench I have.
    I suppose I got used to where the benches were after many years, but it's time to embrace change.

Another option, I have a lot of galv pipe here. 4.3"x3/32" for the legs and 2"x3/32" for the frame.
    I'm wondering if getting the frame square would be a nightmare. Also it's my first welding project after doing mig at college and we didnt do pipe welding....perhaps this would be too difficult at this stage?
    I could practice pipe welding, thing is I don't have a bench to practice on!