Auto darkening lens/helmet fitting? pipeliner..?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Auto darkening lens/helmet fitting? pipeliner..?

Is there any common sizing for auto darkening lenses, I want to install one into the common black flip-up style helmet.. when I see what is referred to as "pipeliners" I'm typically seeing a white base material helmet with no flip up attachment, not sure if they are the same as the black plastic flip up style so can someone let me know, thank you!

edit: I think 109x51mm may be the standard size.
    Last edited by Revan; 10-09-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Lightbulb Need opinions!

So I've been doing some research on this subject, according to Lincoln electric..

"Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application."

So if this is true and you don't mind a light shade, why not get a shade #5/#6 and essentially have a passive "auto-darkening" fixed shade hood.. that you can still actually see through in most (especially outdoor) applications, never replace batteries again, and then use the flip up part to hold a cheater lens.

Naysayers?

Re: Auto darkening lens/helmet fitting? pipeliner..?

Some weld processes can produce a more intense light source than others and also just a large increase in the amperage you are using can do the same. If the lens is not dark enough then all you will see is a bright glare of light, and won't be able to see past it to focus on the weld pool and what it is doing while you are trying to weld. That's one of the reasons auto darkening lenses have an adjustability setting, so you can set it for the conditions you are encountering at the time.

Ay true that, not very effective!

By the time you darkened the shade enough to see the pool through all the glare the shade would most likely be too dark to act as your typical "see through" non welding lens anyhow, so I guess that's why I'll stick with the flip process for those style hoods, interesting stuff with the various lenses however.

#10 for 130 amps or less. Add as needed

I used an arc-one in my Huntsman until I cracked it. It worked well and am considering another one.

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...NDEF:X:T240-10

If you need a shade darker you can add on an extra shade or two. Just place in face side of holder.

http://arc1weldsafe.com/accessories/...lates/upgrades
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Name:  IMG_20181019_155010.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181019_154819.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  135.5 KB