Sporadic weld/no weld
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Sporadic weld/no weld

I have a 57 sa200 that was welding great. It sat for 3-4 months and before welding with it I put an alternator on it. (It had no generator or anything) Ever since then it has been a struggle to get it to weld. I replace remote switch/ bypass the switch. Put it different brushes. I can usually get it to work after a while and it's fine until the next day, then only a sparkel off the rod. When it's not welding I'm getting 2.3 bolts at the lugs, and 0 from the receptacle. Also my alternator stops charging after initial startup. (I think the 2 problems are related?)
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to try or do? Thanks

Re: Sporadic weld/no weld

I got the machine running after trying different things. Started it, no weld, 2.3v at lugs high idle, 125 at receptical. Changed different brushes no weld, turned reostat and checked lugs and then receptical, after checking recep I could see some blue light coming through which shortly stopped. After that it welded for an hr before I went to work.
    So I guess I'll get a new recep, and check out the wires to it and see what's going on with it.