Need help with settings please
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Need help with settings please

Im using a Lincoln Power Mig 210 with spool gun. I have been messing around with some cracked aluminum rims. I clean and groove the crack and drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it. I can not get a good weld on it. I burn through it or its not hot enough. I cant seem to get the right settings. Im getting alot of birds nest too. Im using 100% argon with the Magnum pro 100 SG. After i weld it i grind the weld down and i have air bubbles pop up so i start all over and it still happens. Cant get it to seal for some reason. It seems like it does it more on the cast aluminum. Im using 4043 wire .035. The rims im welding are not going back on any car but its driving me crazy that i cant get it to seal. Can anyone help with some info to help me learn how to do this right?

Re: Need help with settings please

I've always used TIG, fixed a few wheels in my day, not sure MIG is the process I would ever use for this though...

It just seems like the kind of thing you need to watch carefully as you're doing it. A slower process, I donno,,,, do people really MIG repair cast wheels???

Melt through indicates either too much amperage, or that your travel speed is too low. How are your bead profiles looking before grinding.

Which polarity are you running?

Porosity is indicative of contamination, which could be from your wire, the base metal, or atmosphere. Make sure the metal is clean, and on aluminum you’re typically running a longer stick out than you would on steel, make sure your getting enough shielding gas down to the weld area.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Inside rim bead right? Cracked right up to the bead lock?

I seen a guy do it() by cutting out the whole crack right to the termination. Then using 5356 filling in that entire cutout. Why 5356? Because it is a high strength filler not dependent on base metal dilution for strength(and who knows what is in the cast), and is more ductile. You don't get complete penetration and it will crack again.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

so i should be using 5356 wire instead of 4043? thanks for all the help so far. im sure you will hear more from me.

What do you mean by which polarity am i running?

I have a buddy in the wheel rebuilding business and he uses 5356 and mig constantly. The wheel profile is then remachined for resale.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by cowboys5times View Post
    What do you mean by which polarity am i running?
    Since you are using wire feed, you are using DC. He means are you running DC+ or DC-
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

ok thank you very much. DC+

Quote Originally Posted by cowboys5times View Post
    so i should be using 5356 wire instead of 4043? thanks for all the help so far. im sure you will hear more from me.
    Yes 5356. You need to use a high strength filler on a high strength rim. 99.9% of the cracks are on the inside lip extending to the beadlock. The inside lip has little support compared to the outside lip. So the inside lip flexes and eventually over strain hardens the lip and fatigue cracks. The good thing is the heat from welding normalizes the lip side adjacent to the crack if done right. So if done right the rim would eventually crack in another fatigue prone place, and unlikely the place repaired.

I have see people cut out the crack properly, clean the paint or chrome off properly, then mig weld the crack shut. Bad move. The alum mig process is a low penetration, fast freeze process that most assuredly will over age the HAZ or material side adjacent to the crack zone, and will accelerate fatigue. Then the customer comes back for additional repair. Really the best way is a wide cutout and slowly fill with tig so the heat can build up and flow out slowly. Then blend the rubber side flush.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.