308l
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: 308l

308l

This is a quckie but i got a batch of 308L rods for free. They are 1/8" and yeah. I am only going to use them to join mild steel together. Not any stainless steel. I like the bluish affect on the welds. Is there anyway i can replicate that on mild steel. What amps should i use, was using 125a. Any thing special about 308L that i should know, thanks.
    "It's always SPOOOOOOKY Season."

NJ- Paper-Sunglasses Weld Mask 2000 - Chinesium welder

Yoda: Overlord of Magic Smoke, I am

Re: 308l

Here is a picture of stainless-steel SMAW on mild steel.
    Also, Miller’s welding calculator for ball park settings.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ng-calculators
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Re: 308l

I have a few old welding books. I get from them that 308 in a stick rod has the advantage of great ductility. They talk of using 308 SMAW rods to "butter the faces" of high carbon to limit dilution, improve ductility, then filling the gap between with cheaper 7018. I see old welds on high carbon steel in construction equipment done with stainless stick welds. Never seen a fail.

In TIG it can improve success where you can't thoroughly clean all surfaces. Repair welds on hydraulics being an example.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.