Battery draw - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery draw

Re: Battery draw

Once again it only happens when welding. This issue does not happen when using it as just a generator.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Electric Ranger 250
    Lincoln Electric SP 140
    LN 25

Quote Originally Posted by gtmcgeejr View Post
    I was very clear in my first post as to stating that the charging system checks out fine. Something other than the charging system is draining the battery. What system used during welding would cause this issue? There has to be something causing it. Don't assume that I have left out pertinent information because I didn't go into detail right to start. This machine is still under warranty but I dont have down time to let it sit at a shop for days much less months as it will most likely take.

You have problems with a machine. I don't. However you are willing to strike out asking for help when the machine is under warranty and then be willing to bite the hand that feeds?

Good Luck to you sir as I bid you adieu.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. However no one want to listen with I say there's nothing wrong with charging system or battery. These systems check out just fine with in there parameters. Something else is causing the issue. Thanks for your input thus far and good day as well.

Lincoln Electric SP 140
    LN 25

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. However no one want to listen with I say there's nothing wrong with charging system or battery. These systems check out just fine with in there parameters. Something else is causing the issue. Thanks for your input thus far and good day as well.

You're absolutely correct.
    That something is a blockhead who is too dumb to listen to experienced people with a hell of a lot of time under their hats.

Enjoy your fine ITW product and support from whoever you bought it from.
    Bye Now

So I'm block headed and your experienced....Hmmmmm I haven't learned anything here yet. If your experience is so great then this issue would have been resolved after my first post. However your block headedness just over looked what I stated about the charging system. If you dont know what the issue is that's fine I will eventually track it down and be more experienced than I am now. Thanks

Lincoln Electric SP 140
    LN 25

Have you talked with your LWS about this issue since the machine is still under warrantee? Mine would have my bad machine unloaded in a heartbeat and a no charge loaner from the rental fleet in the back of my truck before I walked out the door. They have done it more than once.

Settle down boys.

Once again it only happens when welding. This issue does not happen when using it as just a generator.
    I guess I missed that fact.

With that, I've reviewed the machine circuit diagram and can't see any relationship between a weld mode control and the battery charging circuit that wouldn't be there when being used as a generator only. It may be in your best interest to contact your Lincoln service center or Lincoln Customer Service and see what they may determine to be the cause.

If/when you get this matter corrected I would ask you report back so that another 305EFI that may experience the same problem can benefit from your efforts.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 10-10-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Settle down boys.

I guess I missed that fact.

With that, I've reviewed the machine circuit diagram and can't see any relationship between a weld mode control and the battery charging circuit that wouldn't be there when being used as a generator only. It may be in your best interest to contact your Lincoln service center or Lincoln Customer Service and see what they may determine to be the cause.

If/when you get this matter corrected I would ask you report back so that another 305EFI that may experience the same problem can benefit from your efforts.
    If this machine uses battery power/charging circuit for excitation, using it as generator to run a 4 amp drill motor might be a different story than running 125-150 amps welding power. Just sayin'.

One thing to try is after starting it connect an analog ammeter between the batt + post and the + cable to see if there is an amp draw while welding and how much draw there is. Then see what the amp reading is while running as a gennie. It might help find the source of the draw. If there is a switch for weld or gennie mode the problem might be found there. If it runs the batt down in 5-6 hrs it must be quite a bit of draw.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    If this machine uses battery power/charging circuit for excitation, using it as generator to run a 4 amp drill motor might be a different story than running 125-150 amps welding power. Just sayin'.
    Good question. However, the unit uses battery power for initial excitation only when first starting up and then exciter winding output takes over. Exciter output is significantly greater than battery voltage.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    If there is a switch for weld or gennie mode the problem might be found there.
    No WELD/POWER switch on the unit but excellent troubleshooting suggestion.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

"What if" the charging circuit quits working only when there is an arc?
    Have someone weld with it while you check the charging output.
    I don't know what the fix would be if that were the case but maybe it will give duaneb55 some idea.
    Just grasping at straws.

These are all great suggestions. Thanks for the input.
    Haven't had time to hunt down a fix. Been dealing with hurricane damage to my house and other family members. May be a while before I get to figure it out.

Last edited by gtmcgeejr; 10-14-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Additional
    Lincoln Electric SP 140
    LN 25

Sorry to hear you and others in your family suffered damage from Michael. Far too familiar with such things.

I trust you're still able to use it for genny power.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

A simple, no cost test to see if the battery might be failing is to substitute a known good battery and try running the welder to see if it makes a difference. I've had alternators and batteries tested and passed by so called state of the art testers that were actually the problem.
    Another thing to consider is to attach a DMM to the charge circuit while the welder is running, and monitor it while welding to see if anything changes.
    Good luck, and please post whatever you find the problem to be.
    Last edited by wasillashack; 11-25-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Sorry for the long delay in letting everyone know what I think was causing the issue. Hurricane Michael has just been a crazy disaster for everyone including myself. After completely tearing it down and checking all connections and parameters, I put it all back together and everything works as it should. The only conclusion I can come to is that it was a loose ground connection that wasn't apparently noticeable upon tear down. I appericate everyones input on the matter and look forward to future discussions.

Sincerely Gary

Lincoln Electric SP 140
    LN 25

Poor grounds are a very common cause of issues not only with welder/generators but a host of automotive, structural, etc, etc electrical problems.

Glad to hear it's up and running properly for you and thanks for reporting back.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Didn't read page 2...
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Bad connections will do it every time. Having good voltage but going dead was your clue that the voltage wasn't getting to the battery. The charge circuit was doing nothing as it wasn't getting to the battery otherwise it wouldn't have started with cables not getting good connection to battery to start after charging it back up.

Usually when in strange situation as you were forget testing the voltage. We know that seems fine so done there. Clearly it would seem you are drawing more than your putting back but will the voltage staying high something don't make sense. Did you check the voltage before it shuts off but getting close. Thinking it wasn't still at 14 volts then not at the battery itself.

What you need to do is check the charge amperage going to the battery and then the amperage draw of any loads. Ammeter will tell you what is really going on. You need to compare what is coming from the charging system versus what is pulling from the system.
    Last edited by danielplace; 11-26-2018 at 01:43 PM.