3 phase converter power? - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: 3 phase converter power?

Rotarys going back at least 50 years have been doing the job and handling changing loads without problems.

Contrary to salesman representations, digitals do NOT respond well to load changes. There are many references to this situation on machine tool sites, including the need to employ multiple digital converters on machines with multiple motor loads.
    The representation "the digital phase converters work just fine with multiple loads" is called puffery in polite terms when it comes from a salesman's mouth. Working just fine with a multiple load may be true under some circumstances, but it is not saying works fine with a multiple load that changes during the machine's use cycle.

Your gelato machine has 2 very different loads on the mixer alone, evidently caused by different requirements to stir when mixing and then freezing. In addition your refrigeration compressor will be starting and stopping as well as probably absorbing an inconsistent amp draw during the chill period.
    That all adds up to a lot of load changes to the converter on every batch.

A rotary easily compensates for load changes through momentum and additional draw on the single phase side.

Solid state lacks the momentum feature so a computer must sense load and adjust electronics to accommodate it.
    If the frequency of output power MUST be maintained, solid state might be worth considering, but in your case it isn't a consideration, your loads are 100% motor.

Your suggestion a solid state converter is quieter indicates you haven't had the opportunity to spend time around one. They emit everything from ultrasonic down to a whistle and generally drive dogs away.

Were I in your position I'd buy track record and that is rotary.
    If you opt to go solid state insist on a written guarantee of fitness to the purpose of running your machine in your environment signed by a company officer and backed by a third party bond.
    Last edited by Virgil5; 10-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Virgil, I really appreciate all the help you gave me following my case, many thanks!

Your explanation has been extremely clear, and I'm gonna follow this advise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Were I in your position I'd buy track record and that is rotary.
    I'm gonna get an American Rotary, I already did several researches and I think their price is fair compared to others and they have a great reputation.

PS: by any change do you live near LA?

Not unless one hell of an earthquake comes up and puts LA and Lake Ontario side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Not unless one hell of an earthquake comes up and puts LA and Lake Ontario side by side.
    Mmm in that case I hope you keep living far away

Doesn't that mean your service needs upgraded from 100 amp to 200 amp. Is that something you propose to do with permits ?

What would a electric bill mean to anyone in the permitting department ? A service is not sized based on what is being used at any given time. Those other businesses can change and may start to use all they have then where does that leave everyone.

So what if you were the 5th bay and the other 4 were empty. Oh well power bills show zero on those other four the entire service is ours. So easy to see that isn't how it is done.
    Last edited by danielplace; Today at 12:58 PM.