Lincoln Plasma Cutters
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln Plasma Cutters

Hi Where does Lincoln Fit in the Plasma Cutting business? I know they are one of the leading brand names in the Welding business But practically almost unheard of for their Plasma cutters. Why is that?
    Are they way behind with their technology or what? I remember the old Pro 55,
    And I think maybe a Pro 60 or 80. Interested to hear if anyone has one Thanks

Re: Lincoln Plasma Cutters

No proof, but my hunch is Lincoln had a better view of the market than ITW and a few others. The fabled ITWmiller Zip Cut was such a magnificent entry into Plasma it could only compare to the MM-250 MIG on a lucky day machine.

Thermal Dynamics made a good machine early on, and went into Bankruptcy as the Chinese Invasion of inverters arrived on shore. One of the biggest suck cesspool stories in that industry was a TV repairman who was selling machines to engrave glass, and another was a teacher who also built a HazMat site in his back yard.

There was also a transition in Plasma from 3 gas systems built by dedicated manufacturers to the compressed air torch in that time frame everybody was sure they could make. Seems like everybody tryed too.
    It would be interesting to know Jim Colt's observations of the early days of air plasma since he watched it unfold.
    Hypertherm got it right, TF came along with One Torch, and China swiped the market in large degree.

Lincoln might have revisited some of their old company management systems in that time too, and stood back from Plasma cutting until the market settled. They were seeing a lot of electronics that were long on promise and damn short on delivery in their TIG machines to the degree diagnostic boards were built into machines so they could phone home.
    Staying out of the unfolding air plasma market may have been more profitable than jumping in.

Many welding machine manufactures have added plasma cutters to their line of machines. I think for those that want to have all the same color.

IF you want a plasma cutter, no need to research. Just buy a HYPERTHERM and you're done. Easy and simple and the best of the industry.

IF you are near Atlanta, Georgia, sign up for FABTECH . I think it may still be free. It's a amazing show and you'll see everything imaginal there .

https://10times.com/fabtech

The low cost imports have only taken the extreme low cost end of the hand plasma cutting market. Lack of their own torch and consumables technology and minimal performance power supplies keep them where they are.....the system to buy if price is the biggest factor. Hypertherm rose to the top (from my perspective with 41 years of employment there) due to 1. Being an engineer owned and controlled company. This ensured excellent products that get updated frequently......not only power supplies but torches and consumables are engineered, designed, tested and manufactured in our facilities in NH. Lincoln basically bought their way into plasma cutting with Italian power supply designs and torches from another company. 2. Hypertherm has another advantage......being employee owned....they do not have to send their profits to investors and investment firms....rather it goes to keeping the employee owners happy and a good portion goes back into Research, Development and advanced engineering. Jim Colt

Nice to see an owner drop by Jim, let's be honest and tell the world you only been an owner for a few years though.

There is a lot to be said for a company that knows what business it's in where the owner comes to work every day, sort of like what Lincoln and Hobart along with Miller used to be back in the 60s.

Virgil5,

I have worked for Hypertherm for almost 41 years. For the last 13 years we (the employees) have owned the company. Prior to employee ownership we were owned by the founder of Hypertherm. We were founded in 1968, I was the 11th employee starting in January 1978. I have Lincoln and Miller welding equipment in my home shop, plasma is all Hypertherm (hand held and CNC) Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Nice to see an owner drop by Jim, let's be honest and tell the world you only been an owner for a few years though.

There is a lot to be said for a company that knows what business it's in where the owner comes to work every day, sort of like what Lincoln and Hobart along with Miller used to be back in the 60s.

You guys are going to force me to get my PM-85 out of the box to look at it again. I purchased this machine in early 2016 and am wondering if any software or other updates should be incorporated? I do plan to use it so not going to sell and may put it on a table being now retired and having nothing to do.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Naw just sell it, and with the money invest in a plasma company where you can be the owner too..More then one way to look at private/public companies..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 38XL-SL-40
    Thermal 60i (Beast)

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Slob, The Powermax85 systems being built today are identical to the first ones built around 8 years ago. Plug it in a cut some metal! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    You guys are going to force me to get my PM-85 out of the box to look at it again. I purchased this machine in early 2016 and am wondering if any software or other updates should be incorporated? I do plan to use it so not going to sell and may put it on a table being now retired and having nothing to do.