Air Carbon Arc
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Air Carbon Arc

Air Carbon Arc

Hey guys,

Got a silly question for y’all(Ok I know most if not all are silly). Now that I have an air source, and a stick capable welding machine, could I setup to do AirArc?

Is 200A enough to get the carbons lit and gouging?
    What thickness could you go up to on mild steel, if the answer to the above is yes?

What is typical air consumption of an ACA stinger?

Is ACA hard on machines, more so than say, stick welding, or other usage?

I’m just curious, I have a washing tip on the torch, and the Hypertherm has plasma gouging, but it would be neat to refine my carbon gouging hand at the house for practice.

Thanks!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Re: Air Carbon Arc

Have you got a complete leather suit?
    Do you like noise?
    Do you enjoy stinking bad enough to be banished from your dwelling?
    Is your shop fireproof?
    Do you enjoy being on fire or in burn treatment?
    How much compressed air do you have?
    What 200 amp DC machine do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Have you got a complete leather suit?
    Do you like noise?
    Do you enjoy stinking bad enough to be banished from your dwelling?
    Is your shop fireproof?
    Do you enjoy being on fire or in burn treatment?
    How much compressed air do you have?
    What 200 amp DC machine do you have?
    I’m familiar with Arc gouging Virgil, I use it a few times a week at school to take huge multipass welds back down to base metal, re-weld, repeat. Effective way to conserve metal for weld practice. It’s also very fast, regardless, just wanted to have some extracurricular practice. I know I can gouge with less hassle with my other two processes, trying to purse skill and proficiency is all, I have been told by many, my instructors included that the process is commonly used in heavy machinery repair, structural work, sometimes in backgouging, etc.

It’s a moot point anyways, if the literature I just found is correct I will be unable to do it on my machine. The document says that 60V OCV is the minimum, my little inverter doesn’t get anywhere near that I don’t think.

Oh well..
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

I won’t air carbon arc with any of my welders!
    In the 1970s I worked in a fab shop, we had a dedicated welder used only for air carbon arcing. Over the years I have really put the hurt on welders carbon arcing with them! Now this was in the 400-AMP range.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I'm with CEP on this one. Rental machines are for carbon gouging.

If you really want to expand your horizons in regard to carbon, get some 1/8 carbon and run it DCRP to deposit Everdure.

It's the forerunner of Heliarc almost qualifying as TIG minus Tungsten and Inert gas. Keep the arc short and you can do a lot of neat tricks.
    Also learn what you can do using Carbon for hole filling. Carbon has the unique property of shrinking as it heats up. You can put a Carbon threaded hole and rebuild the hole easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Rental machines are for carbon gouging.
    Or most any machine built by the original Hobart Brothers Company, (but I'm not partial).....

I use my 57 Hobart to arc gouge with occasionally. It is a 300A machine but will reach 400A if you give it a break when needed as it only has about a 15% duty cycle at 400A. At about 300A I usually burn a whole carbon and give the machine at least the amount of time to cool it took to expend the carbon. Lots of air required and a 5hp two stage compressor barely keeps up most times. I only use 3/16" and smaller however. Never had a problem but I know, and maintain my machines pretty fair.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Or most any machine built by the original Hobart Brothers Company, (but I'm not partial).....

I use my 57 Hobart to arc gouge with occasionally. It is a 300A machine but will reach 400A if you give it a break when needed as it only has about a 15% duty cycle at 400A. At about 300A I usually burn a whole carbon and give the machine at least the amount of time to cool it took to expend the carbon. Lots of air required and a 5hp two stage compressor barely keeps up most times. I only use 3/16" and smaller however. Never had a problem but I know, and maintain my machines pretty fair.
    Wowee, yeah, The OCV on my machine won’t cut it, and it sounds like my air supply won’t either. If it’s a machine abusive process I wouldn’t do it even if I could, I’ll just go in early/stay later at school to get some more time and practice on the beast of a machine that the school has dedicated for the process.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

I just bought a Lincoln that came with a well worn air arc set up. I gotta try it. I'll have to use strategy. I don't have a leather suit. Four Advil, I can do anything.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Lot of 600 amp Lincolns still on active standby to run ArcAir. Some even hide under tarps so the suit wearing managers can't surplus them.

Honestly, if you ain't wearing leather have somebody standing by with a water can or garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I just bought a Lincoln that came with a well worn air arc set up. I gotta try it. I'll have to use strategy. I don't have a leather suit. Four Advil, I can do anything.
    That, and put some deodorant on. According to Mr.Virgil up there you may get banished from your dwelling due to the operation - out of stench alone.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hypertherm PowerMax45 Xp

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post

That Hobart diesel machine I had was 600 amps, 100 percent duty cycle and would run 3/16" x 5/8" carbons and let you "sculpt" about any thing you wanted to. I think I remember it could go to 800 amps with a reduction in duty cycle. I used a 34CFM two stage compressor to feed the torch. I could rapidly deconstruct most any piece of heavy equipment, Big buckets (992 Cat and large excavators were the thing back then) It also ran big wire on a Miller VS feeder quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    That Hobart diesel machine I had was 600 amps, 100 percent duty cycle and would run 3/16" x 5/8" carbons and let you "sculpt" about any thing you wanted to. I think I remember it could go to 800 amps with a reduction in duty cycle. I used a 34CFM two stage compressor to feed the torch. I could rapidly deconstruct most any piece of heavy equipment, Big buckets (992 Cat and large excavators were the thing back then) It also ran big wire on a Miller VS feeder quite well.
    I'm getting anxious to get my skid working as I have an old Austin-Western grader mouldboard to rebuild and want to use it cutting the supports loose to replace the actual board. My old DCC-353 in the military would do 500A easy but never had to run it that hot there. This machine should do the same but I'll keep an eye on it out of the gate having no experience with the machine. I'll cart "Huff" with me for jobs like this one.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....