I need a gas garage heater?!? Help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

I need a gas garage heater?!? Help

Well damn it got chilly out of nowhere

I have a little 220v heater on the ceiling, insulated doors (and one jacked up garage door seal). My garage gets pretty damn cold and the little heater doesn't help all that much. I could leave it on for 8 hours before it brings the garage up to a workable temp. I had a gas line piped into the garage when the furnace was replaced and so I'm looking for recommendations on heaters.
    Would prefer something I can hook up to the gas and outlet and be done and hopefully not have to pipe a vent to the outside. And of course something with a sealed chamber so it's so nothing can explode. I'm pretty green in this area so any help is appreciated
    Thanks
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Re: I need a gas garage heater?!? Help

A non vented unit? Wouldn't carbon monoxide be an issue? Co2 detector would be mandatory, IMO.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

You need a vented I have a Reznor garage natural gas heater. Mounts tight to the ceiling so it doesn't take a lot of space.
    Works like a champ.
    You didn't say how big your garage is.
    Tom

Definitely need a vented heater. Many are marketed under Reznor, Mr. Heater, Modine, etc. I have low intensity radiant tubes in my home garage and they do not have an open flame but do take intake air from outside and exhaust outside. I used them in my garage painting automobiles for many years so pretty safe to be around. They are Detroit Radiant Products heaters.

Updated version of mine which were new in 1984. Never a single problem with them over the years:

https://www.reverberray.com/products...rs/ls3-series/
    Last edited by Slob; 10-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

I do electrical for a living.

We wire a fair amount of hanging unit heaters such as Reznor and Modine in shops, also infrared tube heaters. For what it's worth.

I have a 28x42 shop with 12' walls. It is heated with a 60,000 btu Modine hanging space heater. In sub zero weather I can go turn on the heat and 30 minutes later it is 55-60 degrees. I never heat it to 70 or I would be sweating while I work. 50-55 degrees seems good for working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I have a 28x42 shop with 12' walls. It is heated with a 60,000 btu Modine hanging space heater. In sub zero weather I can go turn on the heat and 30 minutes later it is 55-60 degrees. I never heat it to 70 or I would be sweating while I work. 50-55 degrees seems good for working for me.
    50-55 F. AHHHHHHHHHH
    That's too cold except for one kind of "work"

Name:  mixxxxxx.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  149.0 KB

This is the style heater we put in my brothers shop.

BTU will depend on size and expected temps.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJrCfD_BwE

A non-vented heater will put too much moisture into your shop - I don't think you would like it.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

A non-vented heater will put too much moisture into your shop - I don't think you would like it.
    That's what I use. Good heater, not very loud and gets up to temp really fast. The exhaust isn't that big and can exit through a wall.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Put in a williams wall furnace.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Williams...622A/100059323

I have this one in white. Installed it myself despite the homer depot warnings to the contrary.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Williams...-303212279-_-N

I converted it to run on propane and feed it from a 100lb tank outside the shop. Takes some familiarity with running black iron pipe and a two stage regulator for propane.

No electricity required. I switched the manual thermostat it came with out for one a very inexpensive digital thermostat that can be set as low as 45F. Just enough heat to keep the shop comfortable and keep the paint stored there from freezing.

I like that it makes no noise, needs no power and just relies on convection to distribute the heat in the shop. No stray breezes to mess with your shielding gas. Best option I could find to retrofit a shop without any heat. I think it's a little simpler to install than the ceiling mounted units. I've only got 8' ceiling height in the shop, so an overhead unit would be a real head-banger.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

I have an old Modine 70k BTU ceiling mount in my 24x28 garage and it works well even when it's down to -20F outside. It has the 120v gas valve solenoid so I just installed a base board heater thermostat on the wall.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Shop equals either heated and ISOLATED concrete thermal battery floor OR tube radiant heater.

Any system that just heats the shop air costs too much fuel to keep the shop warm.

UnVented means you are putting acidic water into the space as a product of combustion.
    NG & Propane both produce acid when burning.

I have two smaller shops both with Modine Hot Dawg heaters. I am pleased with them both. They are a medium efficiency heater. I don't burn enough gas to be able to afford installing a high efficiency unit.

The Modine Hot Dawg heaters are what we always installed. Reasonable , great job, and variety of sizes. You can get a vent free heater too but size is limited. Two could be used if needed.
    Are walls and ceiling insulated ?? What are garage dimensions ? The ventless do not have a fan where as the flue type ones do.
    https://www.menards.com/main/heating...ers/c-6867.htm

Name:  2E7D609D-EF0F-4B5F-B7BC-30894F2BD0DE.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  60.6 KB

This...Reznor. Heats my 1800 sq ft shop no problem. Mine is propane...very efficient too.

I’ve had ceiling mounted units but the best shop heater that I had in a cold climate was a good used NG home furnace that had been removed from a flooded basement. The unit was fine (a little rust around the bottom); my HVAC buddy gave it to me for free.

On top of the furnace we built a square duct with a couple of registers coming off. Darn thing was quiet, heated up the shop quickly and did not use much gas. The ducting was great for distributing the heat too.

This was for a converted 3 car garage shop. For a more industrial building with high ceilings, the Modine / Reznor would be a better approach.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    Name:  2E7D609D-EF0F-4B5F-B7BC-30894F2BD0DE.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  60.6 KB

This...Reznor. Heats my 1800 sq ft shop no problem. Mine is propane...very efficient too.
    Whats the exhaust pipe situation?

do those have a forced exhaust like a power vent? or do you pipe it out the wall/ceiling with an insulated pipe etc?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

do those have a forced exhaust like a power vent? or do you pipe it out the wall/ceiling with an insulated pipe etc?
    My brothers is power vented out the wall.
    Very easy installation.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

Great heater! I have one in my 30' X 40' garage and another in my 40' X 43' shop with 14' sidewalls. Very happy with their performance.

My shop is 30x26 and this puppy heats it great.Name:  FB9B5557-EAA7-4252-945E-7CE8FD803492.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  91.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

I have large eves on my garage...in snow country. I chose to vent thru roof...

As my install was as I built the garage it was easy to figure out the details and location. It is actually in the middle of back wall pointing toward the shop activity area.

I rewired the fan power off a three way switch so I can run the fan continuous and have the flame cycle or have the fan cycle along with the flame. I figure it saves some gas with the fan running continuous.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw