My welding table/workbench made out of scraps
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

My welding table/workbench made out of scraps

Hello guys.

I made this between yesterday and today. I needed a good metal workbench. Raw metalworking materials right now in my country are expensive and scarce (which is a shame) so Im a little bit cash strapped for workshop improvement... But I did had a lot of scrap metal around. Big sheet of 4mm thick steel that belonged to a machine in a coffee roasting plant, square tubing that was cut from an old building and was in very good shape, some thicker plate scraps and some angle scraps.

And so, my table was born. I must admit Im still a bit bad at welding thin steel, but this small project gave me a lot of practice. I didnt had any Argon/CO2 for my MIG and all I had was E6013 3/32 sticks. So I cranked the amperage down and welded little sections at a time. I managed to pull it of with only a couple of holes and everything square!

Best part? The big metal plate smelt like roasted coffee when the welding heated it enough.

The frame of the table

Name:  20181011_100934.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  126.2 KB

Fixing the random cuts on the steel sheet

Name:  20181011_111427.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  148.0 KB

Putting it in place

Name:  20181011_112404.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  116.5 KB

Main plate tacked in place, thick plate for vise welded, and supports for the legs of the table.

Name:  20181012_134628.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  102.0 KB
    El Cheapo chinese AC Buzzbox (7 years going strong)
    Imwera DC inverter (love it)
    LINCOLN HandyMig (love it and hate it)

Re: My welding table/workbench made out of scraps

There are no scraps, there are only pieces of metal awaiting their destiny which we often don't yet know.

Much of the world was welded together before MIG machines arrived on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    There are no scraps, there are only pieces of metal awaiting their destiny which we often don't yet know.

Much of the world was welded together before MIG machines arrived on the planet.
    That's right: I didn't knew all of this stuff would end up in a table. But need, and my wife's angry looks made it possible.

Its true, but having the right electrodes helped a lot. But I guess I had the right ones if I managed to build this (?)

Its still not yet finished. I will add some stuff, and some paint

6013 is one of the correct rods you could have selected and unless you plan on extended high impact vibrating load to the same spot on the table, it will survive long and work well.

If you want to scratch your head over something ask yourself why you didn't think to invert the build and make your life easier.

Wives and angry looks, comments and flying elbows I got no help for you. You married her by yourself and you get to deal with her by yourself.

Rule 521 is absolutely clear on not painting welding carts or tables for minimally 1 year. Paint causes you to make excuses rather than improvements and changes. Ponder some gussets and a diaphragm brace to begin.

Looks good and as I have done several times over the years. I seemingly save way too much but you never know when that little piece of scrap can become something you've wanted/needed for a long time. A sturdy table no matter how large or small can be indispensable to a guy/gal instead of fitting up and welding on the ground. Always room for improvements and modifications but it takes the wheels in motion to gather the ideas and streamline the process. Your table looks good and you chose the right filler at hand to perform the task. As Virgil5 mentioned I would get some diagonal bracing installed across the legs to keep the table from folding over from not enough support.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Good deal. Looks great from here. You needed a table and made it happen.

I've got two or three projects that are gonna get painted 'some day when I get time'.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

6013 is one of the correct rods you could have selected and unless you plan on extended high impact vibrating load to the same spot on the table, it will survive long and work well.

If you want to scratch your head over something ask yourself why you didn't think to invert the build and make your life easier.

Wives and angry looks, comments and flying elbows I got no help for you. You married her by yourself and you get to deal with her by yourself.

Rule 521 is absolutely clear on not painting welding carts or tables for minimally 1 year. Paint causes you to make excuses rather than improvements and changes. Ponder some gussets and a diaphragm brace to begin.

Saw the pictures after reading your comment and scratched my head instantly. Improvements will be on the way.

As for my wife, no problem! Garage looks cleaner now withsome stuff less (and the rest got neatly put in order)

Looks good SK
    Juan Valdez would be proud.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSK View Post
    Saw the pictures after reading your comment and scratched my head instantly. Improvements will be on the way.

As for my wife, no problem! Garage looks cleaner now withsome stuff less (and the rest got neatly put in order)
    Be real careful with that putting things in order acceptable to the wife. You don't watch real careful them wives will move into your corner of the garage and yer workin under a tarp in the yard.

Be real careful with that putting things in order acceptable to the wife. You don't watch real careful them wives will move into your corner of the garage and yer workin under a tarp in the yard.
    Yup. I lost my workspace on the kitchen table under similar circumstances.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Hello! Taking some advice from you guys, and also doing some thinking, I already changed the design a bit. I added some gussets on the corners, I cut off the middle brace and instead used two braces against each leg of the table. I also added a grill (scavenged from an old, big *** transformer manhole cover) so I could put my toolbox and one of the machines. I added a tab for my ground clamp and some sort of tool hanger for c-clamps, vice grips and anything else.

Sorry for the potato quality pictures.

Name:  20181015_114732.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  105.6 KB

Already loaded it up.

Name:  20181015_131030.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  100.1 KB

Nice job. I like your floor.

And here she is, in better resolution. So far, so good, Leveled, nice working space. I should have done this a few years ago...

Name:  DSCN6512.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  104.9 KB