Time for a new compressor - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Time for a new compressor

danielplace:

I squirted soapy water all over and couldn't find any other leaks after I put about 30 PSI back into the tank. If the check valve is faulty, my soap test wouldn't find it. I looked at the rate of bubble size increase and I suspect I didn't find all the leaks. As you say, 150 PSI in a large tank is a lot of air. I also couldn't hear any leaking which makes me suspect the noise might be buried inside the compressor.

I'm wondering what ever happened to "quality control". To ship out a compressor with 2 leaks is a bit much.

I'm still waiting on a call back. Yesterday, their phone system cut me off twice after I indicated I wanted to remain on hold. It routed me to voice mail when I didn't want to go there. I left a message after I figured out they programmed their voice mail jail system to not allow hold after so many minutes. There's also no visible email address to get to tech support. I wanted to send them my pictures, but haven't found a way to do it. Their web site is not support friendly.
    To my knowledge, I own:
    50% of all the plasma cutters,
    33% of all the TIG welders and
    20% of all the MIG welders on the island.

I own 1 of each.

Those leaks are plenty large enough to drain a 60 gal tank at 150psi in a matter of a couple of hours!

Are you contacting Quincy directly? I wouldn't waste my time with Tractor Supply.
    We bought both of ours from Tractor Supply but when we had a problem with one of them I went
    straight to Quincy customer service.

https://www.quincycompressor.com/contact-quincy

rexcormack:

I found that contact page. There's no way to attach a picture using that method. Also, I just switched Internet suppliers and now go through a proxy server that times out these types of pages. It's something I have to straighten out with the ISP, but right now I can't use that type of contact form. In general, I hate contact forms; I prefer email.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

I was looking at these compressors at lowes.com, they have them for $1299:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quincy-Comp...essor/50073343

I read the reviews for this model and their 80 gallon version, both mention leaks in those areas, half the ratings are bad ones for the 80 gallon unit leaking.:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quincy-Comp...essor/50073345

It's obviously not a one in a million error on Quincy's part, it seems to be their answer to adding a low cost auto drain feature...
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Chad86tsi:

There is no auto drain on this unit. Any issues with leaks is just sloppy assembly and no or insufficient testing before the unit is shipped.

When it arrived, the crate was held together with tape supplied by the shipper as the crate was falling apart. I pulled the tape off and the crate separated from the pallet in one shot; no tools required.

The base pallet is very substantial, but 2 of the 3 bolts holding the compressor down were so loose I spun the nuts with my hand. Someone is not paying attention to detail and it's going to bite them sooner or later.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

So... I've been in the process of remodeling/reorganizing my shop over the last two weeks. Long story short "There's so much more room for activities" lol. Anyway, as I'm coming to the tail end of the to-do list I took the opportunity to see if I could figure out why my portable 30 gal compressor stopped working. Took the top of the plastic clam shell off, spun the motor, wiggled a couple wires, remounted a restraint clip (I assume for some sort of compositor), plugged it in and flipped the switch and she fired right up. so at least my compressor isn't dead dead. I'm still going to be getting a stationary unit, it's just less needed.

As for use with the sand blaster. The unit I have is a small HF unit and can function with the compressor I have, it just runs constantly, and as it's not an oiled compressor, I don't like running it like that. The CFM from the 5 hp models is more than enough to run this small blaster. And I would feel less stressed if it was on an oiled compressor.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by RoatanBill View Post
    Chad86tsi:

There is no auto drain on this unit. Any issues with leaks is just sloppy assembly and no or insufficient testing before the unit is shipped.

When it arrived, the crate was held together with tape supplied by the shipper as the crate was falling apart. I pulled the tape off and the crate separated from the pallet in one shot; no tools required.

The base pallet is very substantial, but 2 of the 3 bolts holding the compressor down were so loose I spun the nuts with my hand. Someone is not paying attention to detail and it's going to bite them sooner or later.
    I think you missed my sarcasm on the auto draining.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Chad86tsi:

A few years ago bought this compressor for my plasma cutter from TSC, drove 54 miles one way to get the last one they had.
    Got it home, hooked it up, turned it on and heard a noise. Looked for the problem and found this hole at the end of a weld. Funny thing (not really) is the packet hanging right next to it showing it had passed all inspections including a pressure test (signed off by a human), and they were proud to call it good. Didn't feel like trying to do anything about it, so I cranked up the mig and fixed it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting on a call back to a voice mail I was forced to leave early Monday. I also filled out their on line form yesterday morning to report the problem, and still no contact, not even an acknowledgement that they received the filled out form.

There was no "Inspected By" tag on the compressor and I can certainly believe it wasn't inspected. Their parts manual completely ignores the tank itself so I have no idea what supposed to seal the holes leaking. The only wrench I have large enough to engage the huge nut is a pipe wrench which will dig deep into the nuts; there goes the paint job, which is excellent, BTW.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    Took the top of the plastic clam shell off, spun the motor, wiggled a couple wires, remounted a restraint clip (I assume for some sort of compositor), plugged it in and flipped the switch and she fired right up. so at least my compressor isn't dead dead.
    If wiggling and tapping fixed it I would check out the pressure valve first, they are a common problem on compressors (not just HF ones). I have an IR that you have to cycle the switch on every so often to get to fire up, I should have replaced it years ago, but you all know how that goes....

I'm still going to be getting a stationary unit, it's just less needed.
    Now that you don't have an immediate need for a compressor I will throw out the option to repower/rebuild an older industrial air compressor. You can find larger 3-phase powered compressors with plenty of life left for pretty cheap. The vast majority of the compressors folks on here will advise buying are splash lubricated reed valve compressors, such as Quincy's QT line Northern sells. There is nothing wrong with these and they work fine, but they do need to run at a higher RPM than either pressure lubricated reed valve models (Quincy's QP line) or pressure lubricated plate valves (Quincy's QR Line). Compressors pumps (pressure lubricated units atleast) are generally rated across a HP range that covers 3 motor sizes and can operate between 400-1200 rpm. When turned slower the pump produces less heat (ie less moisture), lower noise, and longer service life. These industrial pumps (if the right ones are purchased) are also readily rebuild-able with parts kits cost between $380-900 depending on brand, size, model, ect.

I recently picked up a LeRoi Dressor (now Gardner Denver) 15HP 660a pressure lubricated plate valve compressor on a 120gal tank for $380, paid $180 for shipping to a nearby freight terminal, $629 for a new Baldor 7.5hp motor, and $50 for a smaller sheave. For $1200 I have a strong running repairable (if needed) compressor putting out fee air flow of 32cfm (based on tank fill, estimated 27cfm from 120-155psi tank fill). In addition, I now have a good 15HP three phase motor to use as a rotary phase converter build ($300-500 value). This was not a one-off deal, keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, ect, larger 3-phase units can be a steal.

If you decide to go this route keep an eye out for older Kellogg-Americans, Quincy QR-25s, ect. The LeRoi has been great so far and would recommend keeping an eye out for them too, but be cautioned that their parts are more expensive than those others listed. I rolled the dice because the price was right. I plan to post a thread on the full re-power once I complete a valve service, just waiting to finish some other projects before jumping into the valve service. Below are a few pics.

The CFM from the 5 hp models is more than enough to run this small blaster
    I used to use an IR single stage 3HP splash lube compressor for sandblasting. It would kinda work, but was pretty slow. I also used a friends 5HP 2 stage IR and it was a little better, but not much noticeable difference to the 3HP. The 7.5 is really night and day to the 5hp, the extra 8-10cfm does make a huge difference. The reason I sheaved down to 7.5hp was to reduce noise and the cost of the motor, a 10hp single phase motor is almost $400 more than a 7.5 and the wiring cost are about $100 more. After seeing the performance of the 7.5 in blasting I may re-re-power to a 10hp so I can use a #3 nozzle and re-purpose the 7.5 on a hydraulic power pack build.

Name:  Compressor 1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  Compressor 2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  Compressor 3.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  86.6 KB

They have no on site repair warranty so to get it fixed you have to take it somewhere is what people are saying. Most are either returning the thing or fixing it themselves.

It is very sad. In this day and age it doesn't matter what you buy you just about have to accept what you buy knowing you will have to correct some issues. Seems all the junk coming out of China is this way and now the US made stuff is as bad because the can no longer afford to make it properly and be able to compete in a import market.

Bought a chipper/vacuum $2000 for the mower. If you put anything in the chipper it binds up the cutter flywheel and is 30 minute jog to get free again. Called them about it and they basically said that it is no good as a chipper. You can buy better ones that might work is just exactly what they said. I still have it because the vacuum portion works great. The now sell the unit without the chipper and that part is capped off.

For crying out loud stop it already.

It’s a stupid air leak.

I would have had that thing fixed the first day.

Fix the leak move on and enjoy the compressor.

Geez I think Virgil is rubbing off on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    For crying out loud stop it already.

It’s a stupid air leak.

I would have had that thing fixed the first day.

Fix the leak move on and enjoy the compressor.

Geez I think Virgil is rubbing off on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Your absolutely right. Im sure it was pressure tested. That's probably where the fill or test port was. Thread sealer or properly applied Teflon tape, and your done. In fact fixing it would take less time than taking pictures and posting a whiny post about it.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

I'm still waiting on a call back to a voice mail I was forced to leave early Monday. I also filled out their on line form yesterday morning to report the problem, and still no contact, not even an acknowledgement that they received the filled out form.

There was no "Inspected By" tag on the compressor and I can certainly believe it wasn't inspected. Their parts manual completely ignores the tank itself so I have no idea what supposed to seal the holes leaking. The only wrench I have large enough to engage the huge nut is a pipe wrench which will dig deep into the nuts; there goes the paint job, which is excellent, BTW.
    You have no ability to measure and make a wrench of some sort from steel plate? I have plate wrenches up to 4.5 inches. Cut them out myself to work on heavy equipment. BTW... those aren't "nuts" they are straight threaded bushings that use a large O-ring to seal them to the tank bung. Teflon tape or other sealer will not fix the problem

John T & M J D : Don't read this whiny post!

The thickest plate on the island is 1/8" but 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat stock is available. I built a large wrench out of that 1/4" to fix the wife's bakery oven, so, yes, I could build another wrench.

I haven't touched the thing because I have no idea what that nut represents. Left hand thread, right hand thread, straight thread as you say, I just didn't know so I wasn't going to touch it until I got advice from Quincy.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Take it apart. Left hand thread ? Doubt that.
    What help can Quincy be at this point as they clearly don't know how to build it right or it isn't designed right. Seems they all leak. They know it and don't care and if they had the perfect fix then it wouldn't be leaking it would come fixed. ???

Best to figure out the best next course of action to make it hold air which begins by disassembly.

The benefit of my air compressor is that it was built by me using only the finest materials available to a sophmore in highschool. Which was a salvaged 60gal tank, a 5hp motor and the big v twin HF compressor pump. For the last 10 years if I needed to get in touch with the manufaturer for warranty work I just start mumbling to myself. It’s sad but it seems whatever brand you buy these days the quality just isn’t there.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

John T & M J D : Don't read this whiny post!

The thickest plate on the island is 1/8" but 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat stock is available. I built a large wrench out of that 1/4" to fix the wife's bakery oven, so, yes, I could build another wrench.

I haven't touched the thing because I have no idea what that nut represents. Left hand thread, right hand thread, straight thread as you say, I just didn't know so I wasn't going to touch it until I got advice from Quincy.
    It's right hand threads, unwire the pressure switch and unscrew the bushing, inspect o-ring for cuts or nibbled spots. If its not nicked up, liberally lube the o-ring and the threads with engine oil and reassemble it. Also put a little oil in the tank bung where the o-ring seats. Looked at one of my Ingersoll compressors today and you can actually see the o-ring under the wrench flats but mine aren't leaking.

Looking at getting a new compressor. My portable 30 gal finally crapped the bed. And now that I've got a big enough shop, it's time to get a good sized stationary model that can actually handle the needs I have.

I'm looking at approximately a 5 hp 80gal unit. finding them between $1300 and $2400. looking for suggestions/recommendations on which units to lean towards and which brands to stay away from.

The unit will be housed in an insulated room in the shop so noise really isn't a big deal. I'll run filtering and plumb it into the main show with probably a couple attachment points in addition to the real I already have.
    If you haven't picked up a compressor yet check out the Saylor Beall line up, I have had one of their 5hp two stage model VT-PL735-80 for well over 20 years and haven't had one problem with it, made in the USA.With the magnetic starter option they come in at around $2400. http://www.saylor-beall.com/tank-mounted-vertical/ https://www.compressorworld.com/5-hp...-735-80-3.html
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3

Yeah, not sure I would be able to stomack $2400+ on a compressor that compared to most, would get minimal usage. If I needed more than a $1200-$1600 unit can handle, I'd just rent one for the short period I'd need it for.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Yeah, not sure I would be able to stomack $2400+ on a compressor that compared to most, would get minimal usage. If I needed more than a $1200-$1600 unit can handle, I'd just rent one for the short period I'd need it for.
    yep.

Buy what you can afford.... before my current Quincy, I had a Home Depot (Husky)
    worked fine for years .... same size tank just built air slower.

you can get a decent air comp. for less $ just shop around
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I went crazy over the same thing myself a couple years ago and was ready to spend big money on a 2 stage super duty do all machine and ended up settling on a 60 gallon puma/industrial air generic 3 cylinder single stage that does everything I need it to do for 600 bucks, I run a big blast cabnit and grinders sanders off it no problem just not all day every day, choose your tool for the task at hand, if you're doing enough work to justify a 3k compressor it's a no brainer, if your doing small projects out of your garage a 6 7 hundred dollar compressor will do it, China freight has a real 2 stage compressor for 700 bucks looks decent but it's the one that they never have in stock