Oxy-Acetylene welding questions - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Oxy-Acetylene welding questions

I have received the Kent White DVD on autobody steel patch panels.

He shows how he welds thin 20-gauge and it's pretty straight forward. I just need to practice feeling it out, but I'm getting good welds. He uses RG60 1/16 rod, I'm using RG45 1/16.

He's also using an old victor J-40 with a #000 tip, which is smaller than the aw201 tip but not by too much. Looks like a nice torch to hold by the torch valves and adjust on the fly.

I’m surprised Kent is using a Victor J-40 since he sells MECO Midgets. I bought all my replacement tips for both of mine from Kent and used to discuss gas welding with him back when we both were contributors to the now defunct MSA group. Oh well, maybe he is mellowing in his golden years. I doubt it, but all things are possible.

As for. The RG 45 vs. RG-60? For our purposes either is acceptable. I prefer the RG-45 due to its more ductile nature for metal finishing. RG-60 will finish as will ER-70 Sx, you just have to work it a bit harder. Since you are prone to “plastic surgery” I doubt if you will ever know the difference.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    I’m surprised Kent is using a Victor J-40 since he sells MECO Midgets. I bought all my replacement tips for both of mine from Kent and used to discuss gas welding with him back when we both were contributors to the now defunct MSA group. Oh well, maybe he is mellowing in his golden years. I doubt it, but all things are possible.

As for. The RG 45 vs. RG-60? For our purposes either is acceptable. I prefer the RG-45 due to its more ductile nature for metal finishing. RG-60 will finish as will ER-70 Sx, you just have to work it a bit harder. Since you are prone to “plastic surgery” I doubt if you will ever know the difference.
    The recording is old. Maybe that's what he was using in the shop at the time. He has quite a collection, he has a picture of all the torches in his collection posted up on his site. He was using it for other useful things besides welding, using a #1 tip. I am sure the meco midgets are better, with more tip sizes available.

In his other videos Kent uses the Meco Midget so that video was done before he switched over to the Midget and as I recall he makes some comments as to the why in the Gas Welding aluminum videos. Big reason is the light weight of the Midget when there are long welds that need to be made.