Pawn Shop Welder Purchase - A Mistake? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pawn Shop Welder Purchase - A Mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Fodder4Thought View Post
    Well, I went and ordered the Home Depot welder, and plan to return the pawn shop one this week. I've got gloves and an ancient mask (fixed shade), so I should be able to start trying it out once it arrives and I get some wire for it.

Are auto-darkening helmets worth it? I watched an AVE video that suggested they were pretty solid, but I'd like y'all's opinions.

I'll continue to hold onto the old JC Penny box, because one day I may decide to explore what a "Carbon Flame Torch" is good for.
    Solid purchase. Not only is it new, should work well for a while. And if not it is under warranty. Can't beat the price. There is a Home Depot almost everywhere so taking back to customer service should be easy.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Try to get the best auto darkening hood you can. The cheap ones have crappy lenses that make it hard for a beginner to see what’s going on. I think the Harbor freight Vulcan for ~ $120 is a good value with a pretty good lens. (But only that one) Stay away from the stuff at Home Depot/Lowe’s / Tractor supply or cheap Amazon hoods.
    Last edited by Seawalker; 10-16-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawalker View Post
    Try to get the best auto darkening hood you can. The cheap ones have crappy lenses that make it hard for a beginner to see what’s going on. I think the Harbor freight Vulcan for ~ $120 is a good value with a pretty good lens. (But only that one) Stay away from the stuff at Home Depot/Lowe’s / Tractor supply or cheap Amazon hoods.
    Whoops - already ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I remembered watching this video by AvE that suggested there wasn't much difference between the cheap and expensive ones:

EDIT: Whoops, I meant "There's not much difference between the super cheap ones and the more expensive cheap ones. The actually expensive ones are much, much nicer, but I'm not going there yet." For what it's worth, the previous video by this guy is one comparing the response times of the cheap and expensive shades, and is interesting. I like the guy's channel perhaps more than is healthy, but it's for honest reasons - he does a great job of demystifying industrial processes, which tend to be the closest things to direct interaction with the laws of nature, and I think that's neat.
    Last edited by Fodder4Thought; 10-16-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Solid purchase. Not only is it new, should work well for a while. And if not it is under warranty. Can't beat the price. There is a Home Depot almost everywhere so taking back to customer service should be easy.
    Hopefully I'll have no reason to return it (equipment failure, house fire, personal injury, etc)

If the Century has the barbed gas connection on the back then someone installed the Mig Conversion kit on that machine.

"The WIRE FEEDTM 100 is a compact light weight DC wire feeder / power source designed for workshop, hobby, and light maintenance. It is configured for welding mild steel using the self shielded, Innershield electrode process (FCAW) as delivered from the factory. It can be converted for the GMAW, single pass, process which requires a supply of shielding gas and the K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit"

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 10-17-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge