Finally found them:
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Finally found them:

Been looking all over for a couple of gear reducers I remember saving from a demolition job years ago. These are low power 1/6th hp units with a 1600:1 reduction ratio so they rotate just a bit over 1rpm. Pretty easy to obtain 48C face motors too. I've seen the same gear reducers powered with 1/2hp motors in different speeds, so these will take an increase in power if need be. Thinking of installing a 1/3hp 3450 motor and using a VFD to vary the speed. Single or three phase doesn't matter as have both available.

Name:  20181013_133326_resized.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  20181013_133344_resized.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  110.3 KB
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Re: Finally found them:

Got a plan to make something with them now, or just glad to know where they are again in case you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Got a plan to make something with them now, or just glad to know where they are again in case you do?
    If I can come up with a design idea for a positioner I'll use one for that. Never had one in the past so looking at the possibility. Output shaft is a straight keyway type.
    Slob

Slob,
    If you use 3 phase then they could be easily reversible as well!
    Regards
    Dave
    Last edited by smilindave; 10-13-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by smilindave View Post
    Slob,
    If you use 3 phase then they could be easily reversible as well!
    Regards
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. I'd really not thought of that at all and a rotary drum switch makes that easy.
    Slob

Ha! We used to use that same gearbox and ratio in the Copper Smelter, 1.1 rpm, but ours had a 3/4 hp flange mount motor that was a PITA, they used a splined coupling on the drive end and no bearing on that end, piss poor design, I was assigned to fab a mount for a standard frame motor, I did one motor and the fact that it needed aligned turned the maintenance mechanics off, a little investigation showed that there was a bearing fit in the end bell, I had to make a very minor modification to the rotor and install the correct bearing and send em out, I could do a motor in less than 30 minutes start to finish. Isn't 1.1 rpm gonna be a little slow for a positioner?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Thinking of installing a 1/3hp 3450 motor and using a VFD to vary the speed. Single or three phase doesn't matter as have both available.
    I'd stick to 3 phase with a VFD. Some single phase motors don't play well with VFDs.

Dave
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Dave's Telescopes Page

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Ha! We used to use that same gearbox and ratio in the Copper Smelter, 1.1 rpm, but ours had a 3/4 hp flange mount motor that was a PITA, they used a splined coupling on the drive end and no bearing on that end, piss poor design, I was assigned to fab a mount for a standard frame motor, I did one motor and the fact that it needed aligned turned the maintenance mechanics off, a little investigation showed that there was a bearing fit in the end bell, I had to make a very minor modification to the rotor and install the correct bearing and send em out, I could do a motor in less than 30 minutes start to finish. Isn't 1.1 rpm gonna be a little slow for a positioner?
    That is why I was thinking of moving up to the 3450 rpm motor to yield more speed output. Boston still supplies gears for these so can be worked with to increase speed. Don't know cost but these were going in the scrap if not with me. These have a standard 1/2", or 5/8" shaft input with a flat. Seems like the hole is 5/8" in the input shaft bushed to 1/2" but it's been a couple years since they were apart. Regardless a 48, or 56C motor will fit right up.
    Last edited by Slob; 10-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Slob

1 rpm depending of weld diameter will be most of the time too fast

I'm thinking ours were 1800 rpm, they're a compound worm gear, I don't remember tooth counts,(that's been over 20 years now), the ring gear is bronze and were pretty pricey as I remember, I think the worm is cut onto the input shaft, and if you take it or them apart they are opposed taper roller bearings and the gasket under the bearing flange serves as a shim to set up the bearings and gears.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

I've not been into them at all. Just separated what it drove and put the gearboxes into the truck. I've never used any kind of positioner before. The only thing I've ever needed slow rotation for was driveshaft building and used to do that in a large lathe set at it's slowest setting which was 2 rpm.
    Slob

The gaskets come in several thicknesses from .002 to .015 or .020 IIRC and can stack as needed. I also seem to recall that of all those boxes I rebuilt that it was only the primary box that gave any problems, I built a winch out of the secondary side of one of em, it worked pretty well for being cobbled together.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN