Building a shop - the dos and doníts; successes and regrets - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Building a shop - the dos and doníts; successes and regrets

Can you go 40' wide by 40' long ? Design it with the intention to double the length in the future? Mine is 36' wide with one 12x12 door. Wished I had gone 40 wide with 2 doors, with one being 14x14. I don't move stuff in and out very often, but when I do it is a pain maneuvering everything to the sides in order to keep the space in front of the door clear.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

I can already tell you your first mistake. You're not making it big enough. Doesn't matter how big you're making it either. It will eventually not be big enough. The rest will sort itself out, or can be fixed or adjusted at a later date to make it work well for you.

Were I building my own shop, instead of moving onto a property that had a shop.

Radiant heat
    plumbing (3/4 bath minimum)
    Lift bay with it's own dedicated door
    Floor drainage W/catch basins
    Gantry crane
    20' walls so I could store materials vertically when desired and use gantry crane above travel trailer/5th wheels.
    Pass through doors on all bays
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    You still haven't told us how big your shop is going to be, or what you plan on doing in it. That makes a big difference to what we would shoehorn into it.
    I have a size in mind, got a few quotes now but I canít finish these plans or make a decision because Iím changing my mind constantly the more I really dig and learn more about whatís involved
    At first, I figured 70x36 with 14í ceilings..16í and the peak I believe...
    But things have changed and Iím likely downsizing but need to be sure first.. just hearing other peopleís experiences is helping me figure out what I want, things I hadnít thought of
    As for what Iíll be doing.. thats gonna change as I go. I have an idea of how Iíll grow, but I donít want to build my shop based on starting small which is what Iíll be doing now.
    Various custom structural work. What exact items Iíll be making will depend on what I learn about the demand of different things I try.. you know what I mean? Sounds like I have no plan to you probably haha. But Iíve just got a general plan that will get specific as I do it

That was likely confusing - when I said ďwhat Iíll be doing nowĒ I meant starting small, not building small. Iím thinking big for the future!
    ...and trying to stay practical but Lordy Iím a dreamer haha

Toolbox syndrome...

You will ALWAYS fill the toolbox....get a bigger box, keep putting in more tools...I think the answer to this conundrum was the thing which stumped Stephen Hawking before his passing...
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Hmmm... so maybe if we only built outhouses, we could fill them in a day and lead happier lives? You mentioned a 14 ft wall with a 16ft peak I believe... 2 ft is nowhere near enough rise for snow loads even in Alberta unless you are looking at some kind of arched all metal framed structure. The only regret I have with 12 ft. doors is not being able to get the combine in there, but that's probably not your worry. As others have mentioned, going higher frees up more storage space, but I have mixed feelings about that since it also tends to make the lighting less effective.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

12' door, 14' walls minimum. 14' door, 16' walls is better. My 11' door wouldn't pass a flat top semi unless we removed the stacks and dropped the air. Grain trailer tarp bows we're rubbing the roof trusses at about 12'. You may not plan on pulling in semis, but at some point you're going to take delivery of machines, material, etc and it will be raining or snowing. So much easier to pull inside to load/unload.

Go at least 40' wide. That gives a couple work bays in the middle and 8' or so along the walls for workbenches and equipment.

Which brings me to the next thing. Have enough room for large, immovable, long term projects. As well as a short term "quickie" bay. The "quickie" bay allows you to accommodate those emergency jobs. The ones where they just tell you to fix it so they can get back to work. Pick quality customers and these jobs pay well. The "quicky" bay can also be emergency storage. So nice to get home late and just back into the shop and go to bed when the weather is ****ty. Same goes for loading up the night before delivery or a trip.
    My name's not Jim....

Go to a local Home Depot store and measure length, width, & wall height and build your new shop to those dimensions. You may fill it up eventually with stuff, but it will take a pretty LONG time to do it. You can make some very large projects in a building that size, just make sure they will fit through the door to get it out when it is completed. Or make one wall easily removable for those extra large projects that need to be fully assembled before going out.

As much as I agree with everyone screaming go big, he's 25 and talking 2500 ft of shop. What were you building when you were 25? Boost is right, you need at least 2 ft of clearance for a rollup style of shop door. Bi-folds are nice, but more expensive and still need headroom to operate. Depending on the brand, it could take more than 2 ft.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

At 25 I had already owned a 2000 sq ft building, house, and garage on 4 acres. Paid cash at 19.

If the plan is to stay put, build as big as you can and enjoy using it as long as you can. Some things are worth more than the money they cost.
    My name's not Jim....

Floor heat

Bridge crane

Look at the garage doors that are full frosted windows - privacy plus light
    R rating ? research, they are double wall hollow not just a flat pane.

Just my 2 cents. Buy as big of an air compressor as you can and put it in the corner by the door, with a 100' of 1/4" hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Just my 2 cents. Buy as big of an air compressor as you can and put it in the corner by the door, with a 100' of 1/4" hose.
    1/2" hose and high flow fittings... you'll own hundreds of them before you are done and going back to replace the initial errors is costly.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

For lights only use industrial commercial rated ballast T5 lights.
    If you use cheap apartment dweller LEDs expect to have them flicker on and on when something big draws power.

Some 4 or 6 tube "4 foot" tube T5 high output fixtures will put off tons of light. That's what I use.

I put one of my T5 HO fixtures inside in my foyer, after my wife complaied that it wasn't bright enough with all the existing lights on, so I installed one of those fixtures, wife said the T5 was too bright and hurts her eyes. Hahahaha
    Last edited by mad welder 4; 10-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

current shop is 30x36 14' walls. 14' roll up on the short side man door opposite. It's functional for my needs as a non-commercial DIY guy. It would not be big enough if I were to actually be working out of it.

I added 6 8' double bank florescent fixtures on the two main trusses, and bought LED bulbs that work with normal ballasted Florescent fixtures. I have plenty of light now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ThorsHammer; 10-18-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Lookin good there Thor... glad to see you have the right color of tractor in that shop!

Oh... and an anchor or chain cast in the concrete opposite the big door so you can winch dead vehicles in...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 10-18-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

biggest piece of advice.....buy the right tool for the job. don't buy something that will do for now, or because it was cheap. i've regretted it EVERY time, and still have a hard time since good stuff is so hard to find in california. I wish i could live with one tig welder and one mig welder, but it seems the good ones i need at home, arent good for when i need to be portable, so I end up with both and lament the down time between travel jobs tripping over, or having to constantly move superfluous equipment (but they are nice to have when I need them) cant have enough outlets, or air lines. I am putting my compressor outside, and will internally plum along the walls with airlines/fittings, as well as arms that protrude into the middle and swivel. should hold an extra 20 gallons or so too. best piece of equipment is a GOOD compressor, and good burr king 760 or equivalent. my next favorite tool is horizontal/vertical bandsaw. I am also getting rid of all of my corded hand tools and going exclusively with m18/fuel units. they just work better and damn if those 9.0 batteries don't last forever!
    good luck! post the progress
    '14 HTP invertig 221
    Thermal Arc 201ts
    '15 HTP 2400
    '13 Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Esab 875
    Esab 251

Clark Metal Service
    specializing in stainless steel exhaust systems

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    even better, build a soundproofed and ventilated shed on your exterior wall and stick it in there.
    '14 HTP invertig 221
    Thermal Arc 201ts
    '15 HTP 2400
    '13 Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Esab 875
    Esab 251

Clark Metal Service
    specializing in stainless steel exhaust systems

an H beam extending out several feet and above main door and equipped with a chain fall might come in handy.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    Attachment 1692796
    Attachment 1692797
    Attachment 1692798

Here are a few ideas...200A panel too...
    Thanks for the pics looks like you got a great setup.
    I am LOVING how neat and tidy and organized you have it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    You didn't mention wall height. I say 12' walls is the minimum and definitely a overhead 1 ton electric hoist on trolley. A swinging jib hoist is another asset. You are young and strong, but overhead lifting and moving gets old and can be unsafe. Mechanical lifting makes life so much easier. Great for loading and unloading on low trailers why the 12' wall height is the minimum. Depending on your type of work the overhead hoist maybe used for stocking steel storage rack. Locating the steel rack where most of your cutting is done will save time . Getting organized from the start is important. Steel and material storage with racks and shelving so you can see what you have is a plus. Tossing stuff in buckets, drums, boxes, milk crates, will work but not the best. I'm sure we all fit in this one way or another. Cylinder storage near door ''IF'' you will be using a lot of tanks is handy . Delivery driver won't have to walk far.
    A engine hoist is handy and pipe stands are a must. Air compressor can be noisy so might be good to locate away from work area.
    Whatever the size maybe I stick 100% to what I stated. Even a basic chainfall will work .
    Thank you, I will be taking away from this for sure. Yes, mechanical lifting is a must! Iím 25 and for various health reasons I have, things are quite a bit tougher on my body than they should be. (So of course I chose a physically demanding career right..lol. But I love it) Iíve learned to manage it the best I can.
    Again, all great info you gave me so thank you

6" concrete, don't listen to people that tell you that you don't need it.

Radiant/in-floor heat, for sure.

Put a quad box outlet every 4-6 feet. Not kidding. If you know you'll have a workbench in an area, put a duplex box on every stud. Task lighting (just switched outlets at 8') is super nice.

You want an overhead hoist. At least one. Ideally, on a trolley.... but you will use that all the time.

If I could have a shower in mine, I would absolutely do it. If you don't want to do it/can't do it, stub in a drain. Much cheaper to do it before build.

In fact, that applies to everything. Can't round up the scratch for an overhead hoist/trolley? No problem. Just size your trusses or allow for it in the future.

If you can, plan for a lean-to on a couple of walls. That lets you keep stuff dry that doesn't necessarily need to be warm and dry all winter.

I ended up with a 40X60, with one door (12X14') in the 40 and 2 16' X 10 high doors in the 60. So, not "bays" exactly. But I'm not running an auto shop either. That allows me to put a pretty good size truck/trailer along the back wall coming in one end and still park a few cars in the other direction. I'll try to put up a couple pics so that makes some sense.

Go on Garage Journal...best web site for builds and tools there is. Besides this site...that site has cost me over 100K...in a good way.