Building a shop - the dos and doníts; successes and regrets - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Building a shop - the dos and doníts; successes and regrets

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    We don't have huge taxes compared to Canada. But we don't have adequate health care, decent roads, and other sundry things.
    Correct but we have guns which equals freedom! As for the shop, its to small!

Looks good, Love the R Panel walls.

If I had a cancer on top of my pointy lil' head, I'd trade every gun I own for an affordable treatment for that pointy head cancer. Better be aware of what real freedom is. It's the ability to leave your family debt free. Best science in the world ain't worth crap, if'n you can't afford it.

And the shop is too close to the trees

If I had a cancer on top of my pointy lil' head, I'd trade every gun I own for an affordable treatment for that pointy head cancer. Better be aware of what real freedom is. It's the ability to leave your family debt free. Best science in the world ain't worth crap, if'n you can't afford it.

Not me, I'd rather leave my family with the ability to defend themselves instead of being subjects to a tyrannical government (and a welder)

And, if your comment was a bit sarcastic,,,,,,,,,,,,,I agree (thumbsup) And kudos to you for expressing that view. Be a better world without firearms.

I'm heeled most of the time here. Wouldn't go out the door without it, and sleep with one under the pillow. But...……..wouldn't have to do that if the guns weren't available to those folks that want to do me harm. It's a double edged sword. A total ban would help me sleep better at night. But absent that...………..I will blow yer f'n head off if you come on my place and steal from me, or mess with K'kins. It's a sad commentary on the lives we lead these days.

Quote Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
    Not me, I'd rather leave my family with the ability to defend themselves instead of being subjects to a tyrannical government (and a welder)
    This is evolving into a silly little argument. I'm out

Its a people problem, not a gun problem and I was 100 times over serious.

This is evolving into a silly little argument. I'm out
    Me too!

Geez, I miss checking this thread for a couple days and y'all know we have a thread for this kind of stuff in the off topic section!!!

Haha oh Iím so sorry

Thanks for all your input everybody

Quote Originally Posted by EliseLCR View Post
    Thank you! Ahhh sheeesh...liberals eh.
    We’re feeling your pain in Alberta, our provincial AND federal gov’ts are a joke and I’m pretty sure they actually think money is just glorified unicorn piss, the way they spend it! (I won’t even get started on the oil patch and the taxes lol)
    Not to sound like an ignorant Canadian that doesn’t know anything here lol, but...do you guys have a “carbon tax” down there??
    not yet. in those exact terms. we have to have all our waste including our sandblast hauled away by a hazardous materials company, we have to have a rag service to clean our shop rags, and we are no longer allowed to have a solvent tank. all metal must never touch the ground. pretty draconian, and we get surprise inspections from epa, carb, watershed, osha, and the faa regularly. i guess cali and canada are alot alike. alot of hard working individuals picking up the slack for the lazy. and all the people in the country outnumbered by the city slickers that wish to tell all their neighbors how to live. oh well it will only get worse before it gets better. people always end up voting themselves into. slavery its just history

I love that you post with a canadian accent, "eh" haha I wonder if i sound like a southern california surfer bro. keep up the hard work, maybe they'll let you keep some of it. shop is awesome! you going solo now? or are you sticking with the company you work for?
    Last edited by sausage450r; 01-25-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    '14 HTP invertig 221
    Thermal Arc 201ts
    '15 HTP 2400
    '13 Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Esab 875
    Esab 251

Clark Metal Service
    specializing in stainless steel exhaust systems

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Geez, I miss checking this thread for a couple days and y'all know we have a thread for this kind of stuff in the off topic section!!!
    Yea... I thought we were all drooling over new empty shop space! It seems to be filling up with political rhetoric. Looking good Elise... I know I sure like my heated shop in this cold weather.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Yea... I thought we were all drooling over new empty shop space! It seems to be filling up with political rhetoric. Looking good Elise... I know I sure like my heated shop in this cold weather.
    We can still drool if you want! it hasnít been filled up yet!! Just barely..moved some random stuff and minimal equipment.. you can still see the clear floor and big white white empty walls
    I might frame a few pictures of how it looks now and hang them at eye level in there to remind myself what itís SUPPOSED to look like when it starts getting hard to walk without tripping or find an inch of workspace on the table

Building a shop - the dos and doníts; successes and regrets

Quote Originally Posted by sausage450r View Post
    not yet. in those exact terms. we have to have all our waste including our sandblast hauled away by a hazardous materials company, we have to have a rag service to clean our shop rags, and we are no longer allowed to have a solvent tank. all metal must never touch the ground. pretty draconian, and we get surprise inspections from epa, carb, watershed, osha, and the faa regularly. i guess cali and canada are alot alike. alot of hard working individuals picking up the slack for the lazy. and all the people in the country outnumbered by the city slickers that wish to tell all their neighbors how to live. oh well it will only get worse before it gets better. people always end up voting themselves into. slavery its just history

I love that you post with a canadian accent, "eh" haha I wonder if i sound like a southern california surfer bro. keep up the hard work, maybe they'll let you keep some of it. shop is awesome! you going solo now? or are you sticking with the company you work for?
    Yeah by the sounds of it Cali and ĎBerta have more in common than I knew! All of Canada actually, youíre right.
    Haha I never notice how much I use ďehĒ until Iím talking to Americans and I forget that not everybody uses it to be fair....it is a fun word

Iíve got solo intentions but financial obligations for a little while longer anyway. Iíve got a ****-bucket load of health issues that keep me from working the long shifts that I used to, so Iím kinda phasing myself out of working for the company Iím with anyways, so Iíll be phasing myself INTO working my own hours at home in a way that allows me to prioritize health and take advantage of the good days and rest whenever I need on the bad ones
    The company Iím with has been so good to me about my health struggles. Theyíve kept me around despite the fact I can only work around half the time I used to. Iíll always be grateful
    Last edited by EliseLCR; 01-31-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Not sure if this has been mentioned (?) haven't read the whole thread but..... lighting shown is old school fluorescent tube if I understand the photos? I just replaced my tube lighting fixtures with "UFO- LED" fixtures and first month's bill for electrical was a real savings. Payout will be less than a couple seasons' lighting bill and quality of light is beyond description.

I bought 10 ea.- 150 Watt (rated) fixtures off Amazon for 1k, delivered to AK, USA and installed them in a day. Walls are 14' in this building, and the light quality is better than I've worked under in my lifetime as a tradesman.

Worth considering by anyone who works in a shop- and the costs savings to operate will buy these (Chinese) fixtures in a short time!

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Wow really nice shop, I'm quite jealous! The only thing I may have done differently is run conduit instead of romex, it's nice to be able to pull wires & add circuits wherever machines are located. Beautiful shop though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Morin View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned (?) haven't read the whole thread but..... lighting shown is old school fluorescent tube if I understand the photos? I just replaced my tube lighting fixtures with "UFO- LED" fixtures and first month's bill for electrical was a real savings. Payout will be less than a couple seasons' lighting bill and quality of light is beyond description.

I bought 10 ea.- 150 Watt (rated) fixtures off Amazon for 1k, delivered to AK, USA and installed them in a day. Walls are 14' in this building, and the light quality is better than I've worked under in my lifetime as a tradesman.

Worth considering by anyone who works in a shop- and the costs savings to operate will buy these (Chinese) fixtures in a short time!

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK
    Definitely worth it to upgrade to LED lighting. Did that in a buddies shop. WOW just the light quality alone (lumens & color temprature) was worth it.

I just saw that Harbor Freight now has LED shop lighting...???? Hmmm. Might buy one and see the quality vs a branded one. Probably just made on the third shift in China at the same factory as the UFO or other brands.

HF single bulb 4' LED, 5000 lumens, 60 watts, $29.99 - 20% coupon = $23.99.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

If you buy at HF buy some replacement extras so far the chinese(isn't it all) led tube lights and screw base leds I got direct from china are doing pretty good... in a year have only had 2 of the screw base lights go bad and one of the 4 foot tube lights. One of the screw base ones actually had a few of the led smt's burn!! which took out the supply.
    Name:  led-burn.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  16.0 KB
    The other bad light fixtures were from the power supplies frying themselves... I suspect more will do the same

The suggestions and recommendations that have been given on this thread are great.

I worked as a Plant Engineer and Sr Project Manager for 35 yrs and was fortunate to be able to do design reviews of projects prior to the bidding process. Not only were design errors caught early, but so were operational and maintainability such as the items recommended in the thread, lighting, electrical, mechanical and expansion consideration.

I would definetely have an experienced shop operator or someone in the trades look over the drawings before construction. If you are going to have any heavy equipment on the roof, you may want have a Civil Engineer take a look at the roof load. From experience, it's usually an employee of the company you are buying the building from that puts the structure together and then sends the plans to their "resident engineer" who provides the stamped drawings. The additional roof loading is never discussed or even noted because at the sales level, they are not engineers. Discovery usually takesplace when the mechanical contractor complains that there are no stiffeners or curbs for the equipment. More expense and more delays.

When it comes time to get the "final price" for your building, you are going to have numbers all over the place. It's going to be a tough choice unless you know exactly what you want. You will also have to make sure that your drawings note other work that must be included in the bid such as special electrical service for equipment to be installed by the owner, thickened concete or footings for future equipment, and a whole of other items.

The building below is a horse shelter that I am finishing up. It certainly isn't a workshop. I have built every bit of this building by myself. All of the materials are new, except that they were surplus and purchased for pennies on the dollar. The building is 20 X 20 (400 sq ft) and have a little more than $2,000 in materials .... that's $5.00 a sq ft and I'll still have enough material to build another one.

[attach=config]1698170[/attach
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    Definitely worth it to upgrade to LED lighting. Did that in a buddies shop. WOW just the light quality alone (lumens & color temprature) was worth it.

I just saw that Harbor Freight now has LED shop lighting...???? Hmmm. Might buy one and see the quality vs a branded one. Probably just made on the third shift in China at the same factory as the UFO or other brands.

HF single bulb 4' LED, 5000 lumens, 60 watts, $29.99 - 20% coupon = $23.99.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    I'm still on the ledge when it comes to the LED thing.

I'm running T-8's out in the shop. Great light. About 2900 lumens per tube IIRC. I think they eat about 28w per tube.

We're running LED bulbs in the house now, and we're mondo impressed with the output at almost nothing in the way of watts. But, they seem to be heat sensitive.