Bonding glass to metal?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bonding glass to metal?

Have a problem that stumping me. I'm making lamp covers for my patio light set. I cut 18 gauge sheet metal to size, then plasma cut a pattern into the metal and rolled the pieces into cans (see attached pics). I want to put colored glass in the center of the pattern. I was thinking I'd use these glass beads and fasten them to the inside of the can somehow. Once they are done, I'll fasten them over the lamps on a string of heavy duty patio lights - I think they'll throw a nice pattern of color, light and shadow on the patio.

Has anyone bonded glass to metal before - I was thinking of using ClearWeld, anybody know of a better way to do it?Name:  IMG_20181013_175249963.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  133.4 KBName:  IMG_20181013_175325903.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  90.7 KBName:  IMG_20181013_175335444.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  118.7 KBName:  IMG_20181013_175350266.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  136.2 KB
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Re: Bonding glass to metal?

My brother-in-law made a lamp in H.S metal shop and used colored plexiglass or lexan sheeting cut to fit, I think both can be heat formed, and a few dabs of silicone.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Look up "came glasswork".

2 part epoxy is what you want to use.

Use toothpick to apply around the holes and set stones in place and they will stay put for a while.

Goop and E6000 are options they would work good right out of the tube also. Good adhesion qualities.

Another alternative if the adhesive does not need to be clear

Dow U- 428 primerless windshield adhesive

Just don't get it on your hands... black in color and will take at least 2 weeks to wear off.

for your ap would need to apply with a toothpick

Although not spec-ed for it

made gas proof fuel tank gasket for my Promac 70 chainsaw - no leaks in 2 years

glued a shattered Jeep grand cherokee front bumper back together from the back side

molded a fiberglass air dam to an AMX holding strong also reinforced the back of the cracked dash on same car using this urethane adhesive.

Sticks to most anything, holds strong, stands up to vibration. and for the amount in a tube is a bargain. It does require a Heavy duty caulk gun to dispense it.

oh yeah another use is installing windshields.
    Last edited by 455dan; 10-13-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    1961 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1979 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    2 part epoxy is what you want to use.
    That's what I would use. If they're going to be out in the sun a lot, you probably want epoxy with a UV blocker, or it will yellow and eventually disintegrate. I think System Three has an epoxy with UV blocker, as well as some other manufacturers. You might also be able to use polyester resin (no UV blocker needed, although you'll want to add wax to the resin so the skin exposed to air isn't sticky).

The OP didn’t mention whether these lamp shades would be heated and cooled during normal use of the lamps. The reason I ask, is that glass and metals have rather distinctive and diverse thermal coefficients. Glass artists refer to this as COE (coefficient of expansion) or as I prefer to think “Cause Of Explosion”.

The best option is. An elastic adhesive such as Dans windshield bond or a silicone adhesive. That should allow the materials to expand and contract without de-bonding.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Great feedback - thanks so much! I'll do some research on the options. The lamps will be LED so minimal heating from the light source.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Have you considered using SS wire, criss-crossed behind the beads?

Look for an adhesive called Iron Grip. Your local home improvement stores should carry it.

It is a silicone product that we use to attach wood and metal to solid surface countertops. It cures fast and stays flexible. It is way stronger than standard silicone.

My wife suggested using wire too. I'm going to pick a couple of these methods and do a little experimenting! Thanks so much.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Quote Originally Posted by Steve007 View Post
    Look for an adhesive called Iron Grip. Your local home improvement stores should carry it.

It is a silicone product that we use to attach wood and metal to solid surface countertops. It cures fast and stays flexible. It is way stronger than standard silicone.
    Familiar with that product too and Steve is correct that is another great choice. Similar to silicone but adhesion is 6 times standard silicone and it absolutely stays put and doesn't run or even move from the way you place it. Weird though as cleanup is no worse than regular silicone maybe easier somehow. In any case it would hold them great and not show too much either. Home Depot has it.

This will flex with expansion and chilling and stay together
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

3M 5200. Don't get it on anything you don't want it on permanently, hands included.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask