Lincloln Weldanpower 225 Relay lug broken
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincloln Weldanpower 225 Relay lug broken

I recently purchased a Lincoln Weldanpower AC/DC (with CV?) 225 with a 16hp Briggs. It was cheap, and it has no power output but the engine runs great. It won't idle up, and I think that is because the relay for the idle-up has a broken lug. Attached is a photo of what I think is the relay.

Question - If I am unable to solder a connection here, where can I find this four-lug device?

Name:  Broken lug.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  103.0 KBName:  WP 225 Front.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  126.2 KB

Re: Lincloln Weldanpower 225 Relay lug broken

Not a relay. That's a full wave bridge rectifier that rectifies AC exciter voltage to DC for the rotor field. This is why the unit has no power output. Typical ratings are 30-40A @ 600-1000V and can be had thru many online sources.

Wire #5 and #4 (opposite #5) are the AC voltage inputs.

Wire #201 is DC(-) and #200 (corroded off terminal) is DC(+) outputs.

You should also pick up some electronics heat transfer paste to apply to the base of the new rectifier when you install it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

BTW, that unit with CV (Constant Voltage) for wire feeder MIG and flux core process in addition to the CC (Constant Current) or VV (Variable Voltage) for stick and TIG modes is the more desirable and sought after of that series machine. Nice find.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Last edited by duaneb55; 11-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Looks like Code# 9112 so this would be the manual for the unit.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...oln3/im308.pdf
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thanks Duane! I just made the order.

I'm not sure if these are OK (I cleaned them up and they look much better now), but do you have a source for these capacitors? There was a mouse nest around them! Name:  Capacitors.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  106.0 KB

I forget their voltage rating (150V?) but they are 200uF.

Here is my normal go to for such caps:
    https://www.tedss.com/Capacitors

Sometimes better deals can be found on eBay too.

They are polarity sensitive so make sure to install them correctly if you don't want to hear a big BOOM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

OP,

You need to clean ALL of those electrical connections WELL. Any poor connection will cause localized heating at that joint and an eventual failure. Check the wire leads where the mice pissed on them and make sure that the wire isn't corroding away inside of the insulation.

As Duane said, put a small amount of heat transfer compound on the bridge rectifier when you install it. Not much, just enough to fill any voids between it and it's heat sink. Too thick a layer will worsen heat transfer from the rectifier instead of improving it. Any decent electronics supplier should have the stuff, the Tactici-Kool kids spend big bucks on certain gimmick brands but any brand will do.

Those caps are sealed, there's no need to replace them as long as they check ok.

I think they're a 1-3/8" diameter and 3-1/8" long but if you'll confirm their dims I can give you one or more recommendations if it turns out they need replacing or if you just want to. Caps do have a finite life so if you have no way to test their capacitance and leakage you may elect to just go ahead and replace them due to their age. It certainly won't hurt the machine if you do.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 11-01-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Oh, and if you do have one or more bad ones, DON'T just replace those. Just as with battery banks - change them all or the old ones will shorten the life of the new ones.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Well I cleaned up the capacitors and got it back together and clipped the #200 leads to the bridge rectifier (temporarily) and the idle solenoid engaged at start-up to low idle. I flipped the high-idle switch and she idled up nicely (tried to post a video but not allowed). I may try to upload to YouTube and repost. Now to find out why there is no power to the generator 110 outlets. At least it won't run a grinder. I'll put a volt meter on it this afternoon to see if I get anything at all. I'm posting a few photos. I saw where you recommended that someone wrap a string around the rotor near the slip rings to hold the wire (see the photo with the un-polished rings). Name:  String.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  81.2 KBName:  Polished.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  101.1 KB

Try this youtube video:

Lift the brushes off their slip rings and check resistance across both rings. IIRC, resistance should be low and single digit.

Also check for no continuity from each ring to the rotor shaft. Should show no connection between either ring and the shaft.

With the unit running, check for DC voltage at the leads attached to the brush holders.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Did you download the manual I posted the link to in post #5 above?

Not sure what you're showing in the yellow circle. Is this just a loose end of the typical binding string or loose end of a winding wire?

If just a piece of binding string and no DC voltage at the brush leads while the unit is running, check the condition of the flashing diode shown by the white arrow. An open diode will prevent initial start-up excitation of the rotor field which would explain the no output condition. An open flashing circuit fuse (see circuit schematic in manual) would also explain no output.

Name:  Polished.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  162.3 KB
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thanks Duane! Good news - I was able to measure the voltage at the 110 plugs and I was getting 46 volts. The DC welding voltage was 10 VDC and the AC welding voltage was 8.2 VAC. The resistance across the rings with brushes detached was 4.7 Ohms. I was able to make a spark with AC selected, but nothing with DC. I checked the diode and it showed flow in one direction only. I checked the fuse and got continuity. The attached photos are of the Resistance between the rings without the brushes attached, the DC Voltage when running and the AC voltage while running across the welding leads.

I am going to install the new bridge rectifier when it arrives (hopefully this week) and I'm going to clean terminals where possible. I'll let you know what happens. Your help is much appreciated!

Scott. Name:  DC Volts.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  128.5 KBName:  AC Volts.jpg
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Ohms Across Rings.jpg
Size:  104.2 KB

The Rectifier came in the mail today. I have one question - Name:  Bride Rectifier.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.8 KBName:  BR2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  131.7 KB
    Duane - after looking at the diagram on page 24, I was thinking about starting by placing connection #200 (broken post on old one) to the post labeled "+" and working my way clockwise around the rectifier with the same plugs that are plugged into the old rectifier. Does this sound right?

Yup, that's correct.

FYI, you'll notice on your new piece 3 of the typical methods of identifying the DC(+) output terminal of a common bridge rectifier.
    1) The "+" symbol
    2) The corner of the body angled
    3) The terminal oriented different from the (-) and AC terminals

Although this one is clearly marked "AC" on opposite corners some are identified with the "~" symbol. In fact, I think your old one may be this way.

Your rotor winding resistance figure looks correct and the DC voltage I was interested in for troubleshooting purposes would be between the brush leads. This will indicate the flashing voltage that may or may not be present. However, your weld output post voltage readings would indicate there is in fact initial flashing voltage at the rotor. The fact the flashing diode and fuse both check out is good and it's safe to conclude the broken terminal on the bridge rectifier is still the reason output voltage isn't up to spec.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Duane - Thanks so much for your help! I'll have time tomorrow to play with the generator and I'll check out the DC brush voltage and report back. I ordered a new carburetor ($40) because the old one is slowly falling apart although the engine is running just fine. The heat transfer compound and carb gasket came via mail today and the carb should be here tomorrow. I'll post photos and results when I have the new stuff installed.

Duane: I measured 4.15 VDC between the brush leads. This is with the positive lead closest to the engine and the negative lead on the other. This was at idle. When I put the positive lead on the brush closest to the engine and grounded the other, I got 11.5 VDC.

I also was able to get a grinder to run on 110 AC. I had to manually idle up the engine to get this - It doesn't increase the RPM's much when you add an AC load. Today I will install the new carburetor and try again.

I bought this one for $75.00 that had the same problem.
    New bridge Rectifier fixed my problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is fantastic! I love it when a little investigation leads to an easy fix. Looking at that photo made me chuckle. That's what my walker will look like when I'm old.