Miller 252 continues to feed after trigger is released
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller 252 continues to feed after trigger is released

The Miller 252 at work starting acting up and will intermittently continue to feed wire after the trigger is released. Sometimes it stops on its own spitting out 3/4"-1" wire, sometimes it wont and will enter the jog mode (3 seconds of trigger pulled with no arc). Pulling the trigger seems like it may stop it but I think it is coincidence. I did turn the machine off in the middle of it feeding and when turned back on is was normal. I took the trigger out of the gun and everything looked ok, checked that with a meter and looked like it was working correctly. Any ideas on where to start before it has to go for service?

Re: Miller 252 continues to feed after trigger is released

Could be a stuck contactor or even mashed switch wires in the gun.
    Do you have a spot weld option that may have gotten turned on?
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

I do think it is the spot weld option or it would do it all the time. I took the trigger out again after I posted and didn’t see anything wrong with the wires. I took a reading and saw around 38v dc going through the switch when made. Was going to see if the 38v stayed on with the trigger released and gun feeding or the 38v dropped out and the gun kept feeding but of course it wouldn’t act up.

Reasoning was if the 38v stayed on it was the trigger and if it dropped out and kept feeding then there is something wrong in the machine. I’ll try and do some more troubleshooting Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    I do think it is the spot weld option or it would do it all the time. I took the trigger out again after I posted and didn’t see anything wrong with the wires. I took a reading and saw around 38v dc going through the switch when made. Was going to see if the 38v stayed on with the trigger released and gun feeding or the 38v dropped out and the gun kept feeding but of course it wouldn’t act up.

Reasoning was if the 38v stayed on it was the trigger and if it dropped out and kept feeding then there is something wrong in the machine. I’ll try and do some more troubleshooting Monday.
    have you tried doing a machine setting reset?
    '14 HTP invertig 221
    Thermal Arc 201ts
    '15 HTP 2400
    '13 Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Esab 875
    Esab 251

Clark Metal Service
    specializing in stainless steel exhaust systems